What's new

Its official...a legend from the deep awakens...fear the NHL Seattle Kraken!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I am a lifelong Maple Leaf fan but a relative of mine is a scout for the Kraken so I have to like them apparently. 🤬

Well at least that way you get a shot at a Stanley Cup parade in your lifetime.

1609131796112.png

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well at least that way you get a shot at a Stanley Cup parade in your lifetime.

View attachment 1200842
Oh my! Borderline cruelty, LOL!

As a Wingnut, we honestly only had my dad's legendary stories of Gordy How'd growing up. Then came Yzerman and the merry band of Russians, and I get to tell my future grandkids of the glory days.

There were a LOT of lean years in DeeTroit.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
I'm in the minority here hate the expansion lets go back even further I hate Buttman err I mean Bettman.
Simple put he's bad for the league he watered it down.
Hate’s a rather strong word, but I’m totally with your watered down sentiments.

And along those lines, save for some heated & entertaining cold war-era Czech-USSR tilts, I’ve never been a big fan of the PC Euro-style hockey being played out in the NHL ... where some present day 1st-liners would have been lucky to have seen ice team in a shinney game.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Hate’s a rather strong word, but I’m totally with your watered down sentiments.

And along those lines, save for some heated & entertaining cold war-era Czech-USSR tilts, I’ve never been a big fan of the PC Euro-style hockey being played out in the NHL ... where some present day 1st-liners would have been lucky to have seen ice team in a shinney game.
Part of that is the influence of international players, and part of it is the influence of US college hockey culture. The third element is money. These guys are all aware that knocking a guy into next week is bad for his wallet, and, by extension, for your wallet, potentially. So there's now a gentleman's agreement to play nice. The worst goon behaviour today is what... Marchand licking guys? Can you imagine what Ted Lindsay or Gordie or Eddie Shack, John Ferguson, Knucksie Nilan or Ted Green would do to Marchand if he licked them?

What do you think about Ryan Reaves? I'm a pretty new hockey fan but hear people say things about him being one of the toughest in the league. He seems like he's usually pretty careful not to take cheap shots or injure people and I think that seems like an ok balance. But like I said, I'm new.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Part of that is the influence of international players, and part of it is the influence of US college hockey culture. The third element is money. These guys are all aware that knocking a guy into next week is bad for his wallet, and, by extension, for your wallet, potentially. So there's now a gentleman's agreement to play nice. The worst goon behaviour today is what... Marchand licking guys? Can you imagine what Ted Lindsay or Gordie or Eddie Shack, John Ferguson, Knucksie Nilan or Ted Green would do to Marchand if he licked them?
No one could have stopped the pummeling he'd have received.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
The Kraken will also start off w/ a good team. :thumbsup:

1625964833702.png
"Kraken 2021 NHL Expansion Draft rules same as Golden Knights.
Seattle will select one player from each team, excluding Vegas

NHL.com @NHLdotcom - July 7, 2021

proxy.php

Expansion draft rules for Seattle's NHL franchise. The Seattle Kraken officially joined the NHL on April 30 when they made their final expansion payment. The 32nd team in the NHL will begin play in the 2021-22 season.

The 2021 NHL Expansion Draft, which is scheduled for July 21, will be under the same rules for the Kraken as the Vegas Golden Knights in 2017.

The Kraken will select one player from each team excluding the Golden Knights for a total of 30 (at least 14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goalies).

Seattle must choose a minimum of 20 players under contract for the 2021-22 regular season and those with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100 percent of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap. The Kraken cannot buy out players chosen in the Expansion Draft earlier than the summer following its first season.

Current NHL teams can protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie, or eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goalie, under the following conditions".

Read More: Seattle Kraken 2021-NHL Expansion Draft Rules

1625964660119.gif
"Emerald City hockey...miracle in the evergreens". CBJ

Last edited:
The GMs for the rest of the league will have learned from their "mistakes" with Vegas. Not to say Seattle won't have a good team, but I don't think they will be as ready to win as Vegas was.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Hockey Fans:
Seattle Logo.jpg
With the ending of the Expansion Draft tonight...this is the complete Roster for your Seattle Kraken in the
2021-22 inaugural season. :thumbsup:

full
In my humble opinion, they should have snagged for a 'franchise' goalie (Carey Price...too pricey cap perhaps?).
proxy.php

Technically, they could have added Caps Ovi (that's not likely to happen...also too pricey), on their 'budget' of 81.1MM minimum salary cap.
Shoulder Shrug.jpg

By Jackie Spiegel - SPORTING NEWS - 21 July 21

1625964660119-gif.1294855

TEAMPLAYER***CAP HIT
Anaheim DucksHaydn FleuryD$1.3M
Arizona CoyotesTyler PitlickRW$1.75M
Boston BruinsJeremy LauzonD$850K
Buffalo SabresWill BorgenDRFA
Calgary FlamesMark GiordanoD$6.75M
Carolina HurricanesMorgan GeekieC/WRFA
Chicago BlackhawksJohn QuennevilleLW$750K
Colorado AvalancheJoonas DonskoiRW$3.9M
Columbus Blue JacketsGavin BayreutherDUFA
Dallas StarsJamie OleksiakDUFA
Detroit Red WingsDennis CholowskiD$894K
Edmonton OilersAdam LarssonDUFA
Florida PanthersChris DriedgerGUFA
Los Angeles KingsKurtis MacDermidD$875K
Minnesota WildCarson SoucyD$2.75M
Montreal CanadiensCale FleuryDRFA
Nashville PredatorsCalle JarnkrokC/W$2M
New Jersey DevilsNathan BastianRW$825K
New York IslandersJordan EberleRW$5.5M
New York RangersColin BlackwellC/W$725K
Ottawa SenatorsJoey DaccordG$750K
Philadelphia FlyersCarsen TwarynskiLWRFA
Pittsburgh PenguinsBrandon TanevLW$3.5M
San Jose SharksAlexander TrueCRFA
St. Louis BluesVince DunnDRFA
Tampa Bay LightningYanni GourdeC$5.17M
Toronto Maple LeafsJared McCannC/W$2.94M
Vancouver CanucksKole LindRWRFA
Washington CapitalsVitek VanecekG$717K
Winnipeg JetsMason AppletonRW$900K

Read More: Seattle Kraken Draft Roster

1625964833702-png.1294858
Seattle hockey...a city with a soul". CBJ

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
In my humble opinion, they should have snagged for a 'franchise' goalie (Carey Price...too pricey cap perhaps?)

Interesting! I think Price's hit-and-miss good health and "firing on all cylinders" top-level play over the past few years raised enough of an uncertainty about he wisdom of selecting Price.

Anyone watching this year's playoffs would know that Price can be fantastic. If the Kraken knew they were getting *that* Price for the balance of his contract (or even the next three years or so) ... they would likely have taken him. (But if that were the case, I doubt Montreal would have exposed him!)

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Interesting! I think Price's hit-and-miss good health and "firing on all cylinders" top-level play over the past few years raised enough of an uncertainty about he wisdom of selecting Price.

Anyone watching this year's playoffs would know that Price can be fantastic. If the Kraken knew they were getting *that* Price for the balance of his contract (or even the next three years or so) ... they would likely have taken him. (But if that were the case, I doubt Montreal would have exposed him!)
Doc:
Great analogy (duh…I should of thought of that), you sure you weren’t a NHL GM in another life? :lol:

proxy.php

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
you sure you weren’t a NHL GM in another life?
Doubtful.

I just try to avoid the hype and hoopla.

The analysis I've seen ... the Kraken seem to have focused on being in a good "cap space place" and avoided taking on many or any "big" contracts and focused on guys with "sensible" contracts instead. If true, that approach keeps them well away from Price's contract.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Doubtful.

The analysis I've seen ... the Kraken seem to have focused on being in a good "cap space place" and avoided taking on many or any "big" contracts and focused on guys with "sensible" contracts instead. If true, that approach keeps them well away from Price's contract.
+1…good point and by the team’s in good salary cap…by not having A-list players, this team will be more ‘hungry’ and ready to ‘prove’!:thumbsup:

1627003162823.png“Release the Kraken”!

as a die hard NHL fan, and a die hard expansion fan, the past expansion team names as of recent have been horrible.

Kraken is at the top of the "no go" list from me, it's about as bad as "Anaheim mighty ducks" sorry now the "Anaheim Ducks"

To me the new crop of expansion teams IE Thrashers, Predators, Ducks, Wild, etc.........childish and lacking character, and even a geographical reference to the city and or state they represent.

Look at the older team names, they are strong, they have a meaning, they represent something, they have a tie in to the city and state that they are located, and what they represent.

Seattle could have knocked the name out of the park, with the Storm, Seals, Chiefs, Warriors, Hawks, something along those lines, something that screams Pacific Northwest..............not "Kraken".

To those that like the name, good on you, enjoy the team, and I'm glad that Seattle got a hockey team, they needed it, and it's steeped in hockey history.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
as a die hard NHL fan, and a die hard expansion fan, the past expansion team names as of recent have been horrible.

Kraken is at the top of the "no go" list from me, it's about as bad as "Anaheim mighty ducks" sorry now the "Anaheim Ducks"

To me the new crop of expansion teams IE Thrashers, Predators, Ducks, Wild, etc.........childish and lacking character, and even a geographical reference to the city and or state they represent.

Look at the older team names, they are strong, they have a meaning, they represent something, they have a tie in to the city and state that they are located, and what they represent.

Seattle could have knocked the name out of the park, with the Storm, Seals, Chiefs, Warriors, Hawks, something along those lines, something that screams Pacific Northwest..............not "Kraken".

To those that like the name, good on you, enjoy the team, and I'm glad that Seattle got a hockey team, they needed it, and it's steeped in hockey history.
andromeda673:
...I would have gone with the 'Sandpipers' (this is a popular type of bird in the city),...it 'flos' and has a nice 'ring' to it too. 😆

proxy.php
"Release the Kraken"!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Doc:
Great analogy (duh…I should of thought of that), you sure you weren’t a NHL GM in another life? :lol:

proxy.php

Doubtful.

Hindsight being 20/20 ...

... Kraken made a good decision to avoid taking on Price's contract.

Top Bottom