What's new

What’d you get for Christmas/Holidays this year? Pics are great!

2 gift cards for the local grocery Albert Heijn (Ahold)

This summer I was walking on the boulevard like I always do. This time I was with an aquintance with his dog. An older man asked me about my hairband ( I have long hair) and we talked about what was going wrong in our country, my unemployment and other things.
Later I met this man again, he referred to the conversation and asked if I was interested in a Xmas parcel. I said yes, that would be nice. So I gave my address, email and phone number.
Later I got a letter in the mailbox, if I was interested in a parcel I had to fill in my name and addres on the form and then I would receive at 18 december a parcel.
Then I got a letter that because of corona they thought it would not be a good idea to have a lot of people at the same place to get their parcel, so they decided to give giftcards.
This Xmas parcel / gift card action was organized by the protestant and catholic churches in my village.

CadeauKaartAH2020.jpg

2 gift cards for the local grocery Albert Heijn (Ahold)

This summer I was walking on the boulevard like I always do. This time I was with an aquintance with his dog. An older man asked me about my hairband ( I have long hair) and we talked about what was going wrong in our country, my unemployment and other things.
Later I met this man again, he referred to the conversation and asked if I was interested in a Xmas parcel. I said yes, that would be nice. So I gave my address, email and phone number.
Later I got a letter in the mailbox, if I was interested in a parcel I had to fill in my name and addres on the form and then I would receive at 18 december a parcel.
Then I got a letter that because of corona they thought it would not be a good idea to have a lot of people at the same place to get their parcel, so they decided to give giftcards.
This Xmas parcel / gift card action was organized by the protestant and catholic churches in my village.

View attachment 1200167
Fantastic story. Our church gave out thousands of dollars of grocery gift cards this month in our community. Such a blessing!

The Steinhart Vintage GMT I got myself for Christmas came on a steel bracelet. Just holding it in my hand, I thought it weighed more than my vintage Rolex Sub and Rolex Date combined. I put it on a NATO strap, the "Vintage Bond" stripe pattern, and it's much better.
The vintage Rolex all came with non-solid endlinks as well as a „cheap“ stamped buckle. Nowadays everything is solid and cnc‘d which is nice but adds weight.

BTW I’m contemplating the Ocean Vintage GMT/1655 Steve McQueen homage to add to my 114270 and white 16570 Tritium.

Last edited:
I sent an inquiry to the USPS website and I'm curious to see if i ever get a reply given how busy/short staffed they are.

USPS was awful this year. I ordered something off ebay on the 7th. It shipped 1st class on the 8th with delivery scheduled on the 12th. The night of the 12th status was changed to arriving late. I filed an inquiry on the 19th. It arrived on the 24th, but I think that was just coincidence. I got a confirmation of my inquiry on the 19th, but no updates until delivery.

The vintage Rolex all came with non-solid endlinks as well as a „cheap“ stamped buckle. Nowadays everything is solid and cnc‘d which is nice but adds weight.

BTW I’m contemplating the Ocean Vintage GMT/1655 Steve McQueen homage to add to my 114270 and white 16570 Tritium.
I love the 1655-homage Steinhart, but it's a little big for my wrist at 42mm. Or do they have a 39 now? And I do wish they would include a cyclops over the date like the original.

As for the bracelet on my ca. 1978 Sub, the buckle has held up well over more than 40 years -- unless a previous owner had it refurbished. But 22 years for me.

Feather AS-D2.jpg

A few months ago I had the idea of getting a Feather AS/D2. But my wife got wind of that and she put the kibosh on it in no uncertain terms. I sulked, but she was adamant.

Then, on the 25th she said, "Merry Christmas", gave me a kiss, and handed me a maroon box and with a Feather AS/D2 inside.

It's everything I hoped it would be: extremely efficient, comfortable, and good-looking.

Like my wife.

Last edited:
View attachment 1200310

A few months ago I had the notion of getting a Feather AS/D2. But my wife got wind of that and she put the kibosh on it in no uncertain terms. I sulked, but she was adamant.

Then, on the 25th she said, "Merry Christmas" and handed me a maroon box and with a Feather AS/D2 inside.

It's everything I hoped it would be: extremely efficient, comfortable, and good-looking.

Like my wife.
Nice. Try get the kibosh on a Porsche next year.😎

Seeing that it is just myself and knowing in advance that Santa's usual yearly stop at my house is my stocking filled with reindeer poo I decided to order myself a New Parker Adjustable Injector. Non-shave related I picked up some extra magazine clips for a couple pistols. Neither of which will be here for a while thanks to snail mail nowadays. And as predicted I had to empty out my stocking and give a good thorough washing before putting it away for next years visit.

View attachment 1200310

A few months ago I had the idea of getting a Feather AS/D2. But my wife got wind of that and she put the kibosh on it in no uncertain terms. I sulked, but she was adamant.

Then, on the 25th she said, "Merry Christmas", gave me a kiss, and handed me a maroon box and with a Feather AS/D2 inside.

Like my wife.
Congrats! That’s an awesome looking setup you got there! Merry Christmas!

I love the 1655-homage Steinhart, but it's a little big for my wrist at 42mm. Or do they have a 39 now? And I do wish they would include a cyclops over the date like the original.

As for the bracelet on my ca. 1978 Sub, the buckle has held up well over more than 40 years -- unless a previous owner had it refurbished. But 22 years for me.
No it’s still 42mm and no cyclops. Is your Sub the 1680 superdomed? I’m looking for ages for one but prices are in the sky.

Have you had a look at the Tudor Black Bay fifty eight? This series is 39mm.

Last edited:
No it’s still 42mm and no cyclops. Is your Sub the 1680 superdomed? I’m looking for ages for one but prices are in the sky.

Have you had a look at the Tudor Black Bay fifty eight? This series is 39mm.
My Sub is the no-date 5513, with a domed crystal. I've had it since 1998. My Date is a 1501 from about 1971, no quick-set date, mine since 2000. I've thought about selling both and getting just one, a Sub with date perhaps, or a more modern Datejust . . . but I'm attached to these, and you're right, the prices are insane.

I've seen pics of the Black Bay, and it looks cool.

My Sub is the no-date 5513, with a domed crystal. I've had it since 1998. My Date is a 1501 from about 1971, no quick-set date, mine since 2000. I've thought about selling both and getting just one, a Sub with date perhaps, or a more modern Datejust . . . but I'm attached to these, and you're right, the prices are insane.

I've seen pics of the Black Bay, and it looks cool.
Tudor recently introduced a new fifty-eight with a blue dial/bezel

This could be a winner for next summer.

On wristsize... I wear everything from 36mm (Datejust) to 47mm (Pam 372). Switching between the two extremes might look weird for a day or two but then you get accustomed to it and all is good. I had more trouble with overly thick/top-heavy pieces (Sea Dweller) than with an overall big diameter.

What I want to say, 42mm well distributed might still be ok for you. The plain Specs don‘t always tell the full story.

Cheers

Tudor recently introduced a new fifty-eight with a blue dial/bezel

This could be a winner for next summer.

On wristsize... I wear everything from 36mm (Datejust) to 47mm (Pam 372). Switching between the two extremes might look weird for a day or two but then you get accustomed to it and all is good. I had more trouble with overly thick/top-heavy pieces (Sea Dweller) than with an overall big diameter.

What I want to say, 42mm well distributed might still be ok for you. The plain Specs don‘t always tell the full story.

Cheers
Now that Tudor, and its black-dialed stablemates, are closer to being a proper price for a watch. As I recall, a new Datejust in 1998 was about that price.

Though only 39mm, the Steinhart is so thick it does cause me a problem with shirt cuffs. Not dress shirts, but my long-sleeved more casual ones. I can button the cuff over it -- but it's tight.

Top Bottom