What's new

How has Covid affected your pipe smoking habits?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
How has the pandemic affected your pipe smoking, if at all? For me, as an occasional pipe smoker, the cool/cold weather is usually my prime smoking time of the year. But I seem to be doing less of it this year. I have a chronic tickle in the back of my throat and have had since way before the pandemic, probably due to gastric reflux and/or post nasal drip, and just about anything can make me cough. Yes it has been thoroughly checked out. If I smoke, the next day the frequency of my coughing increases. In this Covid paranoia environment, I don't like the added attention I get from my variable chronic cough. Plus I work in the healthcare industry. I'm not concerned that my occasional pipe smoking would increase my chances of getting Covid, I just don't like the extra scrutiny.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
Except for the past few weeks, in all honesty, it has changed my frequency. Even before the pandemic, I’d smoke not more than 4 times a month. But I also have had GI and allergy issues go back to last year when I moved to central Oklahoma. I’ve had a tickle or a cough because of the afore mentioned issues and really don’t want to attract further attention to myself. The slow down for me though this month was because of a positive test that came back close to home for me. So in an effort to stay ahead of the curve, I’ve dropped the pipe/cigar for a short time until things pass a bit.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I've been smoking less, mostly because I'm busy lately. COVID has had no bearing on my smoking habits.

I was in Arizona before the pandemic but lived in a smoke-free apartment building so I joined a local pipe club. I would only smoke 2 days a week or so but it was really nice having a group of like-minded gentlemen to smoke with. I flew back east to NJ in March to celebrate my Mom's 70th birthday and decided it wasn't worth the risk to fly back. When the weather was warm I was actually smoking more since I could sit outside on my balcony and smoke. I was up to a bowl or 2 a day, 5-6 days a week. Now with the weather as cold as it is and local smokeshops shut down, I am lucky if I can smoke a small bowl once a week or so.

All in all I can't wait to get back to AZ and reconnect with the guys from the pipe club once it's safe enough to do so.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Its killed my cigar habit. I can only smoke in a cigar lounge, and I dont trust going to my lounge. Im not breathing recirculated air without a mask.

I would say i smoke a pipe more, as I was primarily a cigar smoker. Its easier to smoke a pipe in my apt, which im not allowed to do. Cant do that with a cigar.

I'm smoking a lot less. Not meeting with the guys to watch sportsball/puck with the guys. Not going to the shop twice a week. But work was also busier and not able to able to go everywhere. And not wanting to clean the windows in my car weekly I haven't been smoking pipes in it.

I've been drained to the point of not wanting to sit outside and smoke when I get home from work. Give me that AC. Or if the wife is awake I'll try to hang out with her for the hour before she passes out.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
No significant change here.

Unless you consider that it was only after the first lockdown that I considered refining my pipe array, and ageing some tobacco, in which case it changed everything. However, I don't think my smoking frequency/quantity has changed much since this time last year.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Major change here. Before covid, I still only smoked a bowl maybe twice a week on weekends, spending a few years building a pretty decent tobacco cellar with 3 years of age on most of my stuff. Got covid and was down for 6 weeks from around the first of March to the middle of April.

Got over covid, but seem to be having trouble with "Long Hauler" symptoms. Developed night time asthma and various other troubles with unexplained issues of the heart and lungs, even though I have been thoroughly checked out by several pulmonologists and cardiologists. They have no clues whatsoever, but symptoms remain.

My brother bought me a nice AF Opus X, I tried puffing on a few months back, but paid for it dearly for the next 3 days after. Haven't touched a pipe since this whole thing began. So I have just been patiently waiting, hoping these symptoms pass or the medical community catches up and figures out what's going on, because I have been covid free since the end of March and just waiting for these symptoms to go away.

If they go away in the near future, I can look upon and enjoy, a well aged tobacco cellar. If they don't, I'll be looking to sell a well aged tobacco cellar. :)

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Major change here. Before covid, I still only smoked a bowl maybe twice a week on weekends, spending a few years building a pretty decent tobacco cellar with 3 years of age on most of my stuff. Got covid and was down for 6 weeks from around the first of March to the middle of April.

Got over covid, but seem to be having trouble with "Long Hauler" symptoms. Developed night time asthma and various other troubles with unexplained issues of the heart and lungs, even though I have been thoroughly checked out by several pulmonologists and cardiologists. They have no clues whatsoever, but symptoms remain.

My brother bought me a nice AF Opus X, I tried puffing on a few months back, but paid for it dearly for the next 3 days after. Haven't touched a pipe since this whole thing began. So I have just been patiently waiting, hoping these symptoms pass or the medical community catches up and figures out what's going on, because I have been covid free since the end of March and just waiting for these symptoms to go away.

If they go away in the near future, I can look upon and enjoy, a well aged tobacco cellar. If they don't, I'll be looking to sell a well aged tobacco cellar. :)
I'm sorry friend, I didn't know any of this. I certainly hope your symptoms are figured out soon and you can get pack to the pipe. At the least I wish you good health in the long term.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I'm sorry friend, I didn't know any of this. I certainly hope your symptoms are figured out soon and you can get pack to the pipe. At the least I wish you good health in the long term.

Appreciate the kind words and well wishes my friend! You wouldn’t have known unless You visit the shooting and firearms sub forum where I spend most of my time when visiting here. I have mentioned having covid there.

I lurk in here from time to time, but posting is rare because these unfortunate circumstances have kept me from partaking. :)

Last edited:
I smoke my pipes more. I'm home now and the stress this year has brought to my career and job hunting has definitely increased my pipe smoking.

Top Bottom