What's new

Pre de Provence No.63

Yes, I’ve found my thread! PdP is a scent which my wife and I BOTH love! Tried Burberry London years ago when I was a cruise-line musician; got hooked. (BTW I’ve recently discovered that it comes in an aftershave!) This lead to me looking up “leathery” and “spicy” scents and discovering PdP products. Until Burberry makes soaps, I’ll be a PdP guy!

I have pdp 63, cade, tabac, dr harris, and omega. all triple milled soaps and all pretty good, but my favorite would probably be the razorock what the puck triple milled soaps. they are very affordable and are enriched with shea butter and lanolin. pdp has shea butter in it as well. dr harris is tallow based. same with tabac.

I have pdp 63, cade, tabac, dr harris, and omega. all triple milled soaps and all pretty good, but my favorite would probably be the razorock what the puck triple milled soaps. they are very affordable and are enriched with shea butter and lanolin. pdp has shea butter in it as well. dr harris is tallow based. same with tabac.
Which is your favorite scent?

I like pdp63, I use an Omega boar which I find is a good brush for triple milled soap.
However, no matter how wet or dry I use the brush, the PDP63 lather is still a little watery.
What is your favorite way to lather pdp63. Do you bloom the soap? Lather it dry? What type of brush used?

I like pdp63, I use an Omega boar which I find is a good brush for triple milled soap.
However, no matter how wet or dry I use the brush, the PDP63 lather is still a little watery.
What is your favorite way to lather pdp63. Do you bloom the soap? Lather it dry? What type of brush used?
Watery lather usually indicates not enough product in the brush. PdP is a very hard soap, here's a few things that have worked for me:
  • Transfer the puck to a larger container, this will give you more space to load the brush.
  • Blooming is fine, but all you need is a bit of warm water on top of the puck while you shower, etc. Pour this off before loading. You can use it on your face as a pre-shave.
  • I prefer to face lather, saves time and is simpler.
  • I prefer a firm boar brush, such as Semogue 620.
  • Begin loading with a very wet brush, just let the excess water drip off, and one mild shake.
  • Hold the soap container at a 90 degree angle as you load so excess water can drain off the brush, and you can see the brush tips.
  • Swirl with very light pressure on the brush until the tips of the brush are saturated with soap. Scoop up proto-lather from the edge of the dish if it threatens to escape, return it to the dish.
  • Too much pressure on the brush during loading puts air bubbles in the lather., so avoid that. Just continue to load with light pressure and the brush tips will pick up the soap fine.
  • Once brush tips are saturated, paint a layer of soap directly on the face. It will be thin at first, but should firm up as you work the brush to build the lather. You may need to add more water, just aim for a meringue type consistency.
Hope this approach helps you with PdP.

Watery lather usually indicates not enough product in the brush. PdP is a very hard soap, here's a few things that have worked for me:
  • Transfer the puck to a larger container, this will give you more space to load the brush.
  • Blooming is fine, but all you need is a bit of warm water on top of the puck while you shower, etc. Pour this off before loading. You can use it on your face as a pre-shave.
  • I prefer to face lather, saves time and is simpler.
  • I prefer a firm boar brush, such as Semogue 620.
  • Begin loading with a very wet brush, just let the excess water drip off, and one mild shake.
  • Hold the soap container at a 90 degree angle as you load so excess water can drain off the brush, and you can see the brush tips.
  • Swirl with very light pressure on the brush until the tips of the brush are saturated with soap. Scoop up proto-lather from the edge of the dish if it threatens to escape, return it to the dish.
  • Too much pressure on the brush during loading puts air bubbles in the lather., so avoid that. Just continue to load with light pressure and the brush tips will pick up the soap fine.
  • Once brush tips are saturated, paint a layer of soap directly on the face. It will be thin at first, but should firm up as you work the brush to build the lather. You may need to add more water, just aim for a meringue type consistency.
Hope this approach helps you with PdP.
Thanks for the advice Will try today.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Love PdP 63. :)

20200103_151652~2.jpg

I agree with @Iloverootbeer PDP63 cologne does not have very good longevity, although thus is a fabulous scent, both the EDT and the balm scent do not last long at all which is a damn shame as it is one of my all time favorite scents.

I just got the soap on a rope yesterday. I love it but my wife thinks it is too strong. It is very heavily scented, but I love No. 63 so I am cool with that.

i have found that PdP bath soap is the best for me.... but not the 63... their milk soap is my #1 by far and have also tried the rose and sandlewood scented for a change of pace. The 63 AS balm is great tho.

Top Bottom