What's new

Cold water shaving- it works

On board too with the cold water shave. I was skeptical 🤨. But it was very effective. I shower first, and use conditioner on my stubble to help soften the whiskers. But then cold water rinses and the shave all with cold water. It’s true... less irritating for me. Today I decided to try a warm water shave and sadly, my face is feeling the irritation....

On board too with the cold water shave. I was skeptical 🤨. But it was very effective. I shower first, and use conditioner on my stubble to help soften the whiskers. But then cold water rinses and the shave all with cold water. It’s true... less irritating for me. Today I decided to try a warm water shave and sadly, my face is feeling the irritation....
Now you know for yourself, very nice

I guess I am gonna have to give it a shot. Seems as if, in the past, when I try even warm water (not HOT) My razor feels like it is trying to stick to my face and the hair is near impossible to cut. HOT water seems hard on my skin, but almost necessary to get my wirey whiskers cut.

I guess I am gonna have to give it a shot. Seems as if, in the past, when I try even warm water (not HOT) My razor feels like it is trying to stick to my face and the hair is near impossible to cut. HOT water seems hard on my skin, but almost necessary to get my wirey whiskers cut.
I have a very gray and white beard and cold water and ice water a lot better, however ymmv.

I will admit I have been skeptical of using cold water for shaving. I tried it this morning, and it really works :w00t:

I skipped Kyle's prep and just splashed my face with some cold water. I had not irritation and my shave was closer. I must say, I will not be endorsing Kyle's prep anymore.

Logically, cold water shaving makes perfect sense because hot water irritates your skin and, contrary to popular belief, does not open your pores. If you nick yourself while cold water shaving you will barely bleed because there is not as much blood at the surface of your skin as there is when you use hot water. From a money perspective, it also saves money because you are not using hot water.

Give cold water shaving a try.
I agree. Hot water actually makes whiskers softer as they absorb the water. I've been specifically told by a Russian aesthetician (they train aestheticians like they do doctors in Russia) not to shave after I get out of the shower for that reason. Cold water stiffens whiskers and makes them cut more easily. It just doesn't feel good!

I agree. Hot water actually makes whiskers softer as they absorb the water. I've been specifically told by a Russian aesthetician (they train aestheticians like they do doctors in Russia) not to shave after I get out of the shower for that reason. Cold water stiffens whiskers and makes them cut more easily. It just doesn't feel good!
I feel cold water works better in the long run, you can hear the hair being cut as you shave

I've tried it. For me it was not closer or more comfortable shave, about the same; but the hot/warm water shave is like comfort food and am more refreshing feel

Still a newbie but totally onboard with cold water, it feels to me more comfortable and relaxing my skin got more irritated using the hot-towel / water process, it could also mean that technic has been improving since my first shave with a DE ,hanged my aftershave from oil to a can of barbasol green (great results)

Not sure if the temp of the water where I live could be considered COLD compared to users who live in the far north of the hemisphere...... but for me, that is enough to not take a bath with pure cold water :c5:
1607592786842.png

December - Lows 44.6 F - Highs 78.6 F - Guadalajara

Plus, it takes less time to shave, the pre- shave process is slightly more simple and that to me makes my shave routine more enjoyable.

Greetings!

Still a newbie but totally onboard with cold water, it feels to me more comfortable and relaxing my skin got more irritated using the hot-towel / water process, it could also mean that technic has been improving since my first shave with a DE ,hanged my aftershave from oil to a can of barbasol green (great results)

Not sure if the temp of the water where I live could be considered COLD compared to users who live in the far north of the hemisphere...... but for me, that is enough to not take a bath with pure cold water :c5:
View attachment 1193208
December - Lows 44.6 F - Highs 78.6 F - Guadalajara

Plus, it takes less time to shave, the pre- shave process is slightly more simple and that to me makes my shave routine more enjoyable.

Greetings!
Greetings also, I am addicted to cold water shaving I have been using cold water for shaving since 1971, I love it. I did try the hot towels for a while but I was very disappointed so back to cold sometimes I use ice water. Good luck.

I was also sceptical about the cold water shaving, but the results are indeed noticeable better. Before I shave I take a warm shower (not very hot) and after that I splash my face for a few minutes with very cold water and then I start shaving. I've been doing that for around a month and my neck feels much better. I wish I started shaving with cold water from the start.

I would definitely recommend it for people with sensitive skins or ingrown hairs on their neck. I suppose those who don't have any issues while shaving with warm/hot water won't feel that much of a difference or have the need to switch, but for those who have problems i'd say that they should at least try a couple of times and if it doesn't work they can always go back their regular shaving routine.

Last edited:
I am a hot water shaver.
Always have been, always will be.
It’s comfortable and seem more clean to me Like an extension of a nice hot shower. I use water as hot as my skin can tolerate. It’s part of my ritual!
I see no reason to use cold water.

I am a hot water shaver.
Always have been, always will be.
It’s comfortable and seem more clean to me Like an extension of a nice hot shower. I use water as hot as my skin can tolerate. It’s part of my ritual!
I see no reason to use cold water.
As long as you like it is what counts

She also asked whether I was putting in an ice maker in the bathroom so I would have a ready supply of ice cubes. I told her that was a good idea - but I thought the dropping of ice cubes in the middle of the night might keep her up at night. She just shook her head and left the room.

Now, if anyone knows of a quiet ice maker, let me know......
Best laugh today!!!

I think shaving with hot water makes my skin too dry. I'm going to give cold water shaving a try.
I hope you’re happy with the results, been shaving with cold water for 50 years or a little more and I love it, it might take time to get used to cold water for a complete shave, good luck

Guess I'll revive this thread after a year of it being idle. I found it randomly this morning while browsing through B&B.
I read through it because I found this method interesting.
Well, I tried cold shaving tonight for the first time (out of curiosity). Nope!
I did it the way it was described here and my 2 pass shave ended up like a 1 pass shave.
No closeness whatsoever. The good news is that I'll have more hair for tomorrow's shave, LOL!!
I got no irritation, nicks or razor burn but it just didn't make the cut.
I used my Lupo DE with a fresh Feather blade and my Proraso soap.
It was a fun experiment but I'll stick to my hot shaves!

Guess I'll revive this thread after a year of it being idle. I found it randomly this morning while browsing through B&B.
I did it the way it was described here and my 2 pass shave ended up like a 1 pass shave.
No closeness whatsoever. The good news is that I'll have more hair for tomorrow's shave, LOL!!
Do what ever works for you and your skin's sensitivity! Don't remember the gist of this thread, but switched to cool water almost immediately and by skin isn't happy any time I accidentally use warm water. And I am not the only one on here. :thumbup1:

You tried and now you know it’s not for you

Top Bottom