What's new

Miswak (Salvadora persica) - Natures Toothbrush - Revive A Tradition

hey peeps, so many of you choose wet shaving because its traditional roots,
well ever wondered how peeps used to brush their teeth before the manufacturing of the conventional toothbrush?

well peeps used to use a 'miswak' also known as 'siwak' comes from the peelu tree aka salvadora persica,
its actually the first toothbrush in history Miswak: First toothbrush in history - https://www.arabnews.com/news/459712

this is what a miswak looks like, they come in thin, medium and thick sizes and theres no need for toothpaste too

proxy.php

being a muslim i only know of this miwak toothbrush due to it being recommended by the Prophet Muhammad (may peace be upon him),
so i can understand if peeps havent ever heard of it before, saying that many peeps who arent muslim but have african or middle eastern background will be well aware of this miswak toothbrush stick

its 100% natural, easy to use, cheap, vegan, cruelty free, biodegradable and eco friendly

13 Stupendous Reasons to Brush Your Teeth With a Miswak Stick

7 Amazing Health Benefits Of Miswak

heres some science behind the miswak (have read it and honestly dont understand it all lol but i thought i'd share)

How to Use a Miswak Chew Stick | Natural Oral Care
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGpTB8BZ4es&ab_channel=Dr.BrigitteWhite

How to Use a Miswak

How to Use Miswak by Japanese Muslim

Miswak toothbrush stick, brushing your teeth with a tree root!

How to Start a New Toothbrush Stick, Inspiring Tutorial (Miswak, Salvadora persica)

this one below (the vid) is the olive tree miswak and its one i havent tried yet
but i just ordered a set of 5 last night from ebay (link below) im looking forward to trying it out

How to Use the Olive Toothbrush 'Miswak' Stick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNsyCViYiYw&ab_channel=NaturalSpaSuppliesLtd

if you fancy getting one i suggest your local asian groceries shops or islamic shops,
you can get them from ebay and amazon however i would suggest ebay over amazon because theyre cheaper from my experience

think i may have a few thin ones somewhere in the house, if anyone wants one PM me, i'd be more then happy to send one over to you :)

if youre unsure on anything or would like me to clarify just give me a shout, no worries at all :)

ohhh yea by the way we do still use conventional toothbrushes and toothpaste too,
i see it this way why not get the best of both worlds huh

anyways thought some of you would find it interesting

p.s hope i posted in the right section :)

well ever wondered how peeps used to brush their teeth before the manufacturing of the conventional toothbrush?

well peeps used to use a 'miswak' also known as 'siwak' comes from the peelu tree aka salvadora persica,
its actually the first toothbrush in history Miswak: First toothbrush in history - https://www.arabnews.com/news/459712

this is what a miswak looks like, they come in thin, medium and thick sizes and theres no need for toothpaste too

proxy.php

being a muslim i only know of this miwak toothbrush due to it being recommended by the Prophet Muhammad (may peace be upon him),
so i can understand if peeps havent ever heard of it before, saying that many peeps who arent muslim but have african or middle eastern background will be well aware of this miswak toothbrush stick

its 100% natural, easy to use, cheap, vegan, cruelty free, biodegradable and eco friendly

heres some science behind the miswak (have read it and honestly dont understand it all lol but i thought i'd share)

How to Use a Miswak

How to Start a New Toothbrush Stick, Inspiring Tutorial (Miswak, Salvadora persica)

this one below (the vid) is the olive tree miswak and its one i havent tried yet
but i just ordered a set of 5 last night from ebay (link below) im looking forward to trying it out

if you fancy getting one i suggest your local asian groceries shops or islamic shops,
you can get them from ebay and amazon however i would suggest ebay over amazon because theyre cheaper from my experience

think i may have a few thin ones somewhere in the house, if anyone wants one PM me, i'd be more then happy to send one over to you :)

if youre unsure on anything or would like me to clarify just give me a shout, no worries at all :)

ohhh yea by the way we do still use conventional toothbrushes and toothpaste too,

Very interesting. It never occurred to me that people had a way to brush their teeth before the toothbrush. If you don’t mind, I’m going to stick with my Sonicare.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

proxy.php

How to Use a Miswak

Very cool. So people use this instead of toothbrushes?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Reactions: saj
Very cool. So people use this instead of toothbrushes?

yea well in some countries in africa and the middle east they use this exclusively,
some peeps use the miswak and a conventional toothbrushes and toothpaste, to get the best of both worlds, thats what i do as well

unique thing about the miswak is that you dont need to use any toothpaste

I’d be willing to give one of these a try. We do a lot of our shopping at Asian grocery stores, so I’ll keep an eye out.
yea cool, if you dont have any luck just ask the workers in the shop and they'll easily know what youre on about

alternatively try out ebay its generally cheaper then amazon for miswaks

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
yea well in some countries in africa and the middle east they use this exclusively,
some peeps use the miswak and a conventional toothbrushes and toothpaste, to get the best of both worlds, thats what i do as well

unique thing about the miswak is that you dont need to use any toothpaste
I may try one!

I may try one!

Yea just learnt today through a member on another wet shaving forum that in India there's also other types of trees that they use as toothbrushes too, I'm going to try them out too, see how they compare to the miswak 👍

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

proxy.php

How to Use a Miswak

You weren't kidding. A cursory search revealed it's better than toothbrushes.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I will definitely be looking into this.

I don't use toothpaste much anymore. It's really only good for breath odor, which if you have it means there is a problem, probably, with your oral health. (Brush your tongue, look for tonsil stones, gargle with salt water, etc.)

Thanks for sharing this! Off to the 'Bay for me.

Reactions: saj
You weren't kidding. A cursory search revealed it's better than toothbrushes.

yea it is, its amazing how some people havent even heard of it

this is amazing information from the third link, i'll post it here so anyone can read hopefully

History of Tooth Cleaning
ORIGIN
DATE
LITERATURE
BABYLON/EGYPTIAN
3500-3000 BC
Babylonians and Egyptians clean their teeth with the frayed ends of twigs
GREEK
800-146 BC
Greeks use toothpicks (karphos) to clean meal residue from teeth
ROMAN
753-27 BC
Romans use toothpicks from mastic tree to clean teeth
CHINA
1600 BC
Chinese use aromatic tree twigs to chew on and give them fresh breath
ARAB NATIONS
6TH -7TH CENTURY
Prophet Mohammad set rules and regulations for tooth cleansing, narrating about indications, contradictions, and the method to clean teeth
CHINA
15TH CENTURY
Chinese invent the toothbrush using hog hairs as bristles and bamboo or bone as the handle
18-19th CENTURY
Mass production of toothbrushes and export to European and American markets
USA
Nylon toothbrush created
SWITZERLAND
Prototype of the first electric
toothbrush in Switzerland by
Dr. Phillippe- Guy Woogin, though not
released until 1954.

I will definitely be looking into this.

I don't use toothpaste much anymore. It's really only good for breath odor, which if you have it means there is a problem, probably, with your oral health. (Brush your tongue, look for tonsil stones, gargle with salt water, etc.)

Thanks for sharing this! Off to the 'Bay for me.

no worries mate, yea well you could also use a tongue scraper, the stainless steel and copper ones would probably be better and considered as 'zero waste' compared to the plastic ones and will last longer too

did you order some?

So....how long does one of these Miswak sticks last?
depends on how much you use it i suppose and alo on the thickness too,
the thin ones dont last as long because theyre thinner and menaing less bristles so get worn out quicker and when i say dont last lng, trust me wheni say they last long enough

so in a nutshell youve got thin, medium and thick

i love all of them to be honest,

what i really love about the thick ones is that i can get really rough with it but thats my brushing style, i enjoying getting rough and proper scrubbing at it,
whether thats a good thing or not, im not sure as im not a dentist lol

A Dental Perspective studies prove Miswak far more superb than any Toothbrush

Top Bottom