What's new

What Are You Reading?

I finished SPQR on audio and Never Let Me Go in hard copy. Both are excellent and worth the read. Moving on now to Asimov’s ‘Foundation’ on audio and The Tolkien Reader.

Faith Martin murder mystery. I’m on book six of the series. It’s Brit-based, and I get a kick out of some of the slang used.
1607365737614.png

I am on to Liu Cixin Three Body Problem. I am on the first volume, The second and third of the trilogy are said to be much better. This seems like good sci fi so far.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I've finally jumped in to Maurice Fitzpatrick's The Boys of St Columb's. It looks at a remarkable group of boys who were the first generation to attend Northern Ireland's St Columb's, a boys' secondary school in Derry, a center of sectarian violence in Ulster. The boys were Bishop Edward Daly, SDLP leader and Nobel Peace Prize–winner John Hume, poet and Nobel laureate Seamus Heaney, critic Seamus Deane, diplomat James Sharkey, activist Eamonn McCann, and Irish traditional musicians Phil Coulter and Paul Brady. Amazing how so much talent suddenly appears in a group of 14 year old boys attending a brand new school.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Finished the following Charles Bukowski books: Ham on Rye, Factotum, Women, and Post Office. I think it’s time to fill my mind with something wholesome and knowledgeable :eek2:

Having listened to every available podcast episode it seemed only natural to buy the book. Starting it today.

24793605-720F-497B-8934-95CB063125EA.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Bukowski is great, but I think I know what you mean. Still, nice to see him get some attention around here. :)

Yup, I only just discovered him this year, few months ago actually. I can’t recall how. I think he was mentioned in another book I was reading and looked him up and thought “gotta check this dude out”. I can relate to him in a few ways.

Legion

Staff member
Yup, I only just discovered him this year, few months ago actually. I can’t recall how. I think he was mentioned in another book I was reading and looked him up and thought “gotta check this dude out”. I can relate to him in a few ways.
Lol. While decorating our new house my wife pulled out some of my Bukowski books to put on a shelf. Pretty sure she has never read any, but it is something I like, so I will take it as a win.
28F231C5-4DA2-4283-9F10-FD4D1F5F54A8.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Lol. While decorating our new house my wife pulled out some of my Bukowski books to put on a shelf. Pretty sure she has never read any, but it is something I like, so I will take it as a win.View attachment 1192224

I like that they are all relatively short. I read Factotum in one night at work. I‘m sure I’ll get more, but I need a break.

Legion

Staff member
I like that they are all relatively short. I read Factotum in one night at work. I‘m sure I’ll get more, but I need a break.
Try some Hubert Selby jr. maybe. then if you come back to Bukowski, checkout his poetry. It is pretty easy to appreciate by people who would not normally read poems.

i like it, anyway.

Legion

Staff member
Finished the following Charles Bukowski books: Ham on Rye, Factotum, Women, and Post Office. I think it’s time to fill my mind with something wholesome and knowledgeable :eek2:

Having listened to every available podcast episode it seemed only natural to buy the book. Starting it today.

View attachment 1192212

for non fiction, I think you would like Freekonomics. Pretty accessible, and I found the concepts interesting.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
for non fiction, I think you would like Freekonomics. Pretty accessible, and I found the concepts interesting.

I have been a listener of the podcast for a long time now. I enjoy it. I have heard of the book but never considered, so what the hell, I just bought it.

I’ll check out Hubert Selby jr. too. A couple of his books were made in to movies that I have never seen. Might as well read the books first.

Legion

Staff member
I have been a listener of the podcast for a long time now. I enjoy it. I have heard of the book but never considered, so what the hell, I just bought it.

I’ll check out Hubert Selby jr. too. A couple of his books were made in to movies that I have never seen. Might as well read the books first.
Read Last exit to Brooklyn. Dark, rather depressing. To be honest I’m surprised it was allowed to be published when it came out. But it is good.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Read Last exit to Brooklyn. Dark, rather depressing. To be honest I’m surprised it was allowed to be published when it came out. But it is good.
Gonna get it now. On a side note, why the hell are hardcover books so rare and expensive! I greatly prefer hardcover over paperback but hardly anything, especially the old stuff, is published in hardcover!

Legion

Staff member
Gonna get it now. On a side note, why the hell are hardcover books so rare and expensive! I greatly prefer hardcover over paperback but hardly anything, especially the old stuff, is published in hardcover!
Hardcover are usually the first or early printings. Once the rights are sold the new publishers will be going for maximum output v profit.

im getting most of my books via my ereader these days, if I’m honest.

currently reading Blindness by Jose Saramago

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Hardcover are usually the first or early printings. Once the rights are sold the new publishers will be going for maximum output v profit.

im getting most of my books via my ereader these days, if I’m honest.

currently reading Blindness by Jose Saramago

I’m old school I guess. I want to look smart and dignified with a book in my hand :letterk1:
And then be able to say to guests “I have many leather bound books and my home smells of rich mahogany”. (Tom Burgundy)

Top Bottom