What's new

Yaqi copied the Vector

FWIW, after looking at the video clip of the Yaqi Vector copy and pictures of the Blackland Vector, I can't imagine many who would look to buy a $200 Vector would be pleased with the zamak Yaqi copy.

For a bit more the Razorock Hawk looks a better made razor.

I wonder how the half screw will fair being zamak on this razor. Personally I think it's too bad that such a blatant copy exists. Especially on a modern razor still in production that took some actual R&D to produce.

Agree. It seems to be the way of the world though. It's less trouble to copy a design than create something new from scratch, but Yaqi do seem to come up with a fair number of designs; they probably could have come up with an original razor head design that bypassed the half screw; which I'd be a little reluctant to use myself, as a few of my Yaqi DE heads have had issues with the zamak thread.

FWIW, after looking at the video clip of the Yaqi Vector copy and pictures of the Blackland Vector, I can't imagine many who would look to buy a $200 Vector would be pleased with the zamak Yaqi copy.

For a bit more the Razorock Hawk looks a better made razor.

Agree. It seems to be the way of the world though. It's less trouble to copy a design than create something new from scratch, but Yaqi do seem to come up with a fair number of designs; they probably could have come up with an original razor head design that bypassed the half screw; which I'd be a little reluctant to use myself, as a few of my Yaqi DE heads have had issues with the zamak thread.
I agree, the build quality isn't comparable. I think most drops might snap off the half screw made of zamak though. Only time will tell I suppose.

I see and understand what you're saying. It seems to me though that vector is a fairly recent product (about 2 years old I believe) that occupies a small portion the ac razor market. A direct copy seems to take away from the reasonable reward for innovation. Of course no patent laws can be enforced, and the quality difference is huge, but it seems unfair to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Yaqi’s been ripping off natural badger fiber with their synthetic brushes for years. In razors, they’ve been making or rebadging various homages to razors made by Gillette and Merkur for almost as long. It’s no small leap to see them taking aim at high-end stuff like Shane’s designs.

Surprised they didn‘t start ripping off the AC-format blades right out of the gate.

We are quick to complain about manufacturing jobs going overseas. Here is a prime example of why. A product developed and made locally is pirated or its design copied with inferior materials at a much lower price point in a country with much lower labor costs. The only way to stop this is to not buy the cheaper and inferior construction product.

Personally I believe that design and innovation should be awarded and will pay the premium for the better product. My watch is an original and not a knockoff and I feel better about that as well.

We can make a choice.

Some countries are innovative and other countries are reduced to copying. Their only angle is to charge less. Kind of a sad way to go about life but in the end consumers have more choices. It is up to the manufacturer to illustrate the value they offer. Don't ask me how I know this:

IMG_3944.jpeg

can someone tell me what the full name of this vector razor is? i want to see check it out on google etc

A cheap copy can be a gateway drug for many who wouldn't buy the original straight away, but might change their mind later.
In my own experience the Lupo has piqued my interest in a Wolfman (eventually, hopefully).

Never mind that there is very little about the Vector that it is innovative: it is simply a single edge razor that take Artist Club blades, both the basic single edge design and the blades (obvs) existed long before it.

The Vector product page states:
We made the Vector in response to the bulky, heavy, and unbalanced Artist Club razors that have entered the market in the last few years. While Artist Club blades perform exceptionally well, the razor platform has left much to be desired. The long cutting edge of the blade aides in removing large swathes of hair in a single pass, but that size also makes it easy to make an overly hefty razor head.

To solve this problem we took the same approach that has worked so well in the Blackland Sabre. The threaded post has been modified to allow the Artist Club blade to slide over it, allowing the razor head to be as small as possible. How small? While other stainless steel Artist Club razors have heads that weigh close to 50g, the Vector head is a featherweight at just 17g. And the Vector head is less than half as wide from front to back as the others. Additionally, the Vector head is centered over the handle providing perfect balance rather than being front-heavy like the competition.
Curious to know how this is not innovative.

Top Bottom