What's new

What Did You Learn From Your SR Shave Today?

While it may be all that you need, I am most certain that it is not all that you require.
:straight:
I’m starting to think it is. There’s a lot to be said for keeping it simple. Too many choices are not much fun for me. I sense that den completion is getting near. Of course there will always be room for a Tortoise Shell MK32 but she’s starting to look like a white whale.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
52 weeks in the year. Not sure you're done yet. :)
I thought of that but that would require a whole day once a year for maintenance. Besides, I don't want my cabinetmaker and engraver to get rich and retire on me.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I’m starting to think it is. There’s a lot to be said for keeping it simple. Too many choices are not much fun for me. I sense that den completion is getting near. Of course there will always be room for a Tortoise Shell MK32 but she’s starting to look like a white whale.
One of the advantages of two M7DS's is having them is like having just 2 single SR's to choose from yet still having plenty to enjoy.

I have 30 razors in my rotation and they are broken up into 2 categories, exceptional and great. In the exceptional category there are 6 razors of which 4 are 7/8, one 6/8 and one 5/8. It’s important to note that I only have four 7/8 and they are all in this category...

I’ve learned that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I’ve gone deep into the rabbit hole collecting rocks, razors, strops, lather bowls, soaps and brushes. I’m wrapped with my setup and the results are sublime. I’m a day off finishing a GRUME and I can’t think of anything that I’d add or change. It took a while but I think that I’m finally getting there.

Last edited:
I’ve learned that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I’ve gone deep into the rabbit hole collecting rocks, razors, strops, lather bowls, soaps and brushes. I’m wrapped with my setup and the results are sublime. I’m a day off finishing a GRUME and I can’t think of anything that I’d add or change. It took a while but I think that I’m finally getting there.
I also found the light at the end of the tunnel, but quickly realised it was a train 🤣
My goblet is overflowing. Also one day from GRUME. Intent is to reduce my rotation down to half (15) and be content.

Last edited:
Frequent use improves the performance of virtually every piece of shaving equipment. Strops stay supple. Brushes get softer. Soaps hydrate and become easier to load. Edges tune in with lots of little touch ups. The ideal shaving setup is a small one not a massive rotation.

I’ve spent the last week and a half with a puck of Tabac, my Duke 3 Best, MK31, Jnat and TM strop. The shaves are perfect and the equipment keeps getting better and better.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Frequent use improves the performance of virtually every piece of shaving equipment. Strops stay supple. Brushes get softer. Soaps hydrate and become easier to load. Edges tune in with lots of little touch ups. The ideal shaving setup is a small one not a massive rotation.

I’ve spent the last week and a half with a puck of Tabac, my Duke 3 Best, MK31, Jnat and TM strop. The shaves are perfect and the equipment keeps getting better and better.
All you now need is a M7DS and you will be in heaven. With my five M7DS's, I'm in 5th heaven.

Relative newbie (somewhere in the teens in terms of SR shaves) - yesterday I tried the pasted strop Method for the first time while fixing up an Imperial 6/8 extra hollow. Today was my first shave, and it was a noticeable improvement over the pasted denim edge I had been putting on my razors. Progression was 5K (the rolled edge broke off leaving a small chip that needed to be fixed), then 8K, ILR, black ark, then 0.5u,0.25u,0.1u, canvas, leather.

The shave was not quite as comfortable as some of the earlier shaves with a mellower version of the same razor, but perhaps that means I need a little more work with the 0.1u. That said I did a full 3pass shave with no blood and including what was definitely the closest WTG 1st pass to date. Even did a Fool’s Pass, something I have skipped the past week. Bottom line, I felt like I made real progress!

Next steps: Keep improving the technique for honing, stropping, and shaving, ... easy, right? :)

Attachments

• D5F64F96-3DFC-4529-AEAC-5150F10350D9.jpeg
    D5F64F96-3DFC-4529-AEAC-5150F10350D9.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
Relative newbie (somewhere in the teens in terms of SR shaves) - yesterday I tried the pasted strop Method for the first time while fixing up an Imperial 6/8 extra hollow. Today was my first shave, and it was a noticeable improvement over the pasted denim edge I had been putting on my razors. Progression was 5K (the rolled edge broke off leaving a small chip that needed to be fixed), then 8K, ILR, black ark, then 0.5u,0.25u,0.1u, canvas, leather.

The shave was not quite as comfortable as some of the earlier shaves with a mellower version of the same razor, but perhaps that means I need a little more work with the 0.1u. That said I did a full 3pass shave with no blood and including what was definitely the closest WTG 1st pass to date. Even did a Fool’s Pass, something I have skipped the past week. Bottom line, I felt like I made real progress!

Next steps: Keep improving the technique for honing, stropping, and shaving, ... easy, right? :)
Keep going with the .1u, the more yo do it the better it will get. Just keep the pressure VERY light, may feel like you are doing nothing, but it makes a big difference.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
For the past few shaves I have been using my two identical test SR's to experience the difference between leather and chamois stropping. Yesterday's shave was not so good. I'm putting it down to a too wet lather. Will see what happens over the next few days.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I learnt this morning that stropping with a natural chamois leather strop noticeably improves the edge beyond just normal clean leather stropping. I will report more on this once I have confirmed this with further testing. Initially I am very pleasantly surprised!

My SR this morning was "Monday" from my English M7DS. Being one of my hardest steel razors, it normally gets about 80 laps on clean leather before each shave. This morning I opted for a change, 40 on leather followed by 40 on chamois before the shave. WOW, I have never experienced an edge that shaves as well.

More to come.

I figured that I need to “hone” my razor on my face. That’s to say that holding the spine one spine width off the face is too much. I’ve been laying the blade on my face like I would a stone and it is much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I figured that I need to “hone” my razor on my face. That’s to say that holding the spine one spine width off the face is too much. I’ve been laying the blade on my face like I would a stone and it is much better.
I have found the same, particularly as my edges improved and got sharper.

Top Bottom