What's new

SV 70th Anniversary is sublime!

After a full year of DE shaving I can confidently say Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary is the absolute BEST soap / aftershave combo I've tried. It might possibly be the best in existence, but I haven't tried every other product yet to confirm. I also like other SV scents, but there's just something special about 70th. It loads in about 15-20 seconds with a sopping wet Semogue boar and it produces mounds of pillowy wet lather (not sudsy). It stays wet throughout each pass, is super slick, and the aftershave leaves my face feeling baby-butt smooth all day.

For reference, I've tried the following brands (often multiple scents of each) over the past year: Proraso, Arko, Pre de Provence, Stirling, Wholly Kaw, Barrister & Mann, Noble Otter, Tabac, Palmolive, Haslinger, Taylor of Old Bond Street, The Art of Shaving, and about a half dozen other things I can't remember now.

I'd love to hear how others rank SV soaps, and if there's any consensus about which other soaps might be better. I'm always open to trying new things.

SV are my very top soaps!
All the scents .
Next in ranking come the also
Italian Officina Artigiàna Milano.
Two available -also complicated- scents ,very close quality level -wise to the SVs.But not triple milled soaps like SVs ,but soft-very soft croaps .
If you like SVs you will absolutely
love the OAMs ,also.

All the scents .
Two available -also complicated- scents ,very close quality level -wise to the SVs.But not triple milled soaps like SVs ,but soft-very soft croaps .
love the OAMs ,also.

Thanks, I will look for them!

SV 70th soap and AS was my first (and sadly still the only) SV set...absolutely love it!

For a natural, non-tallow soap and splash, it ranks up there pretty high among my preferred shave products. The soap may be just barely elite for me or definitely very high Tier 1. The splash is definitely high elite status.

After a full year of DE shaving I can confidently say Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary is the absolute BEST soap / aftershave combo I've tried. It might possibly be the best in existence, but I haven't tried every other product yet to confirm. I also like other SV scents, but there's just something special about 70th. It loads in about 15-20 seconds with a sopping wet Semogue boar and it produces mounds of pillowy wet lather (not sudsy). It stays wet throughout each pass, is super slick, and the aftershave leaves my face feeling baby-butt smooth all day.

For reference, I've tried the following brands (often multiple scents of each) over the past year: Proraso, Arko, Pre de Provence, Stirling, Wholly Kaw, Barrister & Mann, Noble Otter, Tabac, Palmolive, Haslinger, Taylor of Old Bond Street, The Art of Shaving, and about a half dozen other things I can't remember now.

I'd love to hear how others rank SV soaps, and if there's any consensus about which other soaps might be better. I'm always open to trying new things.
I use SV Opuntia. Great fragrance

I’ve had aftershave samples of all of them and Opuntia is second on my list, right behind Mirto di Sardegna, for upcoming purchase. It smells fantastic.

All the scents .
love the OAMs ,also.

Does anyone have a good source for Officina Artigiana Milano soap and aftershave in the US?

#1 in my book. I even think it is better than Xpec that I traded to my friend and MdC that I sold off. My favorite is SV scent is Felce, then 70th Anniversary. I also have Cosmo which is similar scent to 70th, and I also have Asylum Colonia which is made by SV and it is another great scent. The only thing that can give SV a run is PdP No 63, I have a lot of other soaps that are really good which include Razorock, B&M, Castle Forbes, Proraso to name a few but nothing I have tried so far can beat it. I want to puck up a few of the newer scents but with the amount of soap I have now I just can't bring myself to buy more.

No arguments here. SV is great. It has a permanent spot in my den. Currently working on my second puck which is 70th. Slightly preferred the post shave of the beta 4.3 Felce. Still both are top notch.

Yes indeed, a great scent and an even greater soap. After trying MDC and SV I feel no need to spend money on overhyped artisans which seem to be releasing the "best soap base" every couple of months.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I've used several over the years and would love to try the 70th but sadly Saponificio Varesino has slowly priced themselves out of my budget.

$49 seems a bit steep for a 150g tub of soap -- just my frugal 2¢

I've used several over the years and would love to try the 70th but sadly Saponificio Varesino has slowly priced themselves out of my budget.

$49 seems a bit steep for a 150g tub of soap -- just my frugal 2¢

It’s definitely expensive. The upshot is mine has lasted an impressively long time.

I’ve had aftershave samples of all of them and Opuntia is second on my list, right behind Mirto di Sardegna, for upcoming purchase. It smells fantastic.

I've just tried my sample of Mirto di Sardegna and I agree, it smells amazing. But can I ask a question? I've been looking at a full bottle and it's described as half way between a lotion and a balm. I don't mind much what they call it, however, I really don't like thick, milky balms. My sample is clear, like a traditional splash. What were your SV aftershave samples like, consistency wise?

Top Bottom