What's new

DS Cosmetic (316L stainless steel) Z0 vs 2013 Mühle R41

I received mine today. Tried it with an Astra sp to shave 2 weeks goatee. Had already shaved the rest this morning. I think I will like it. I dont have the R41 to compare. After reading this review I was affraid so I've been super prudent and got no issue. Eager to use it tomorrow for a regular shave. Probably gonna use the rest of my Derby extra sample in it.
I don't know if it's a sign but I realized the unique serial number all start by 888xxx, and I got the 888041. It's a beast compared to the FOCS in size and weight.
IMG_20201204_132243.jpg
IMG_20201204_131918~2.jpg

Hello,

Mine arrived today. Here is a quick summary. Will follow with pictures etc when time allows.

Fit and finish
No machining marks on visible surfaces. Surface finish was highly polished and free of blemishes. I didn’t see excessive play on cap pins. Blade lineup was good and didn’t require adjustments. I got the Pioneer handle. Fits nice in hand. Good grip for head shaving.

Shave
Poraso green soap, German Personna blade (new) and Omega 10098 boar brush.
Shave was two pass WTG, ATG face and head shave. I had about a weeks worth of growth.

I must admit I was very careful when shaving. The shave was very close. The only weepers were from skin imperfections such as bumps and scars. The result was a extremely close bbs shave with little irritation.

Disclaimer. I love very efficient razors. This razor exceeds the standard R41 in efficiency but feels smoother. I don’t have a 2011 R41 to compare to.
I would compare it to Ikon Tech or PAA double open comb razor (stainless aggressive model) But smoother. It reminds me of a Merkur Vision dialed up.

This razor was better quality than I expected. It is not for the faint of heart. Pressure will draw blood and remove skin imperfections. Head shavers may go down a hat size.
I will try a smoother blade like Voskhod or Astra Next. I need more shaves to fairly evaluate but at the price I would have been happy with just the handle. No regrets but YMMV.

Cheers
John

Hello,

Mine arrived today. Here is a quick summary. Will follow with pictures etc when time allows.

Fit and finish
No machining marks on visible surfaces. Surface finish was highly polished and free of blemishes. I didn’t see excessive play on cap pins. Blade lineup was good and didn’t require adjustments. I got the Pioneer handle. Fits nice in hand. Good grip for head shaving.

Shave
Poraso green soap, German Personna blade (new) and Omega 10098 boar brush.
Shave was two pass WTG, ATG face and head shave. I had about a weeks worth of growth.

I must admit I was very careful when shaving. The shave was very close. The only weepers were from skin imperfections such as bumps and scars. The result was a extremely close bbs shave with little irritation.

Disclaimer. I love very efficient razors. This razor exceeds the standard R41 in efficiency but feels smoother. I don’t have a 2011 R41 to compare to.
I would compare it to Ikon Tech or PAA double open comb razor (stainless aggressive model) But smoother. It reminds me of a Merkur Vision dialed up.

This razor was better quality than I expected. It is not for the faint of heart. Pressure will draw blood and remove skin imperfections. Head shavers may go down a hat size.
I will try a smoother blade like Voskhod or Astra Next. I need more shaves to fairly evaluate but at the price I would have been happy with just the handle. No regrets but YMMV.

Cheers
John
Youre pretty brave shaving head on first try. Like you I appreciated the short shave I had. Same handle and I like it.

Youre pretty brave shaving head on first try. Like you I appreciated the short shave I had. Same handle and I like it.
Hello,
Its usually the pass or fail test if I like a razor. Hasn’t always ended well. Forgot to mention that I had no accumulation of whiskers under cap like previously posted.

Cheers
John

Got mine today as well. Just walked in literally about an hour ago and the package was on the table. Quick inspection and look over, all looks decent. Didn’t install a blade but, I’ll put in a Nacet and see how it looks alignment wise tomorrow and go from there. Liking the looks of the handle quite a bit.....

AA4969F3-8779-4340-A215-3D8DB8700A73.jpeg

03E7A8CC-25B5-4AEF-9495-339F1B5B8D15.jpeg

F98FF4B3-7025-4827-A32A-5DC35BBFEC8C.jpeg

79C98288-8B77-45A3-A16A-728774C5B510.jpeg

86A6C49E-C32B-414B-A322-1831EE836B07.jpeg

6A358C33-FC5D-4569-BF81-8AF98C63D306.jpeg

1280BF9C-FE3B-4671-98E2-0F912CA096C2.jpeg

Thanks for the reviews thus far. @GlazedBoker , I look forward to your review. I always said a SS r41 would be great but so far, this sounds like more than I would like. Perhaps in the future they can offer a toned down version.

Well, well. That was not what I was expecting. The DS-ZO actually shaved well, very well as a matter of fact. It’s a clone of the Legendary Muhle R41 but, done in Stainless Steel alloy. Quality is quite good, tolerances are very precise and shave feel was really impressive. Very good blade feel with better than average smoothness. No, it’s not a mild razor but, it’s not a face peeler neither. More shaves to follow to really get a good assessment. It’s a trial run razor first release and it has some real good potential. Like I said before, more shaves to follow and see how it turns out with a few more shaves....

57DAB4E0-EE14-44A8-8BB6-52772294FFF3.jpeg

Couple pics of the razor components. Quality & feel is surprisingly very good. Besides the underside of the top cap not being cleaned out on finishing, it doesn’t affect the blade seating or positioning whatsoever and fitment is good with no play at all...

550631A0-E681-4DCF-8022-D58DC8652071.jpeg

7199D866-41BD-44E2-B70A-42BA119CC585.jpeg

549CCBC3-2E09-4F15-8CA2-98D2C33466BD.jpeg

038DCC21-2135-4F9E-8221-59078AB6DF82.jpeg

554BBB5A-070F-4CF4-9FCA-DB0F53089BE5.jpeg

CA4E922A-244C-4690-90B4-B0BB03862715.jpeg

AC15E7AF-F553-477C-800A-63C6AD974ECE.jpeg

Well, well. That was not what I was expecting. The DS-ZO actually shaved well, very well as a matter of fact. It’s a clone of the Legendary Muhle R41 but, done in Stainless Steel alloy. Quality is quite good, tolerances are very precise and shave feel was really impressive. Very good blade feel with better than average smoothness. No, it’s not a mild razor but, it’s not a face peeler neither. More shaves to follow to really get a good assessment. It’s a trial run razor first release and it has some real good potential. Like I said before, more shaves to follow and see how it turns out with a few more shaves....

View attachment 1191396

Couple pics of the razor components. Quality & feel is surprisingly very good. Besides the underside of the top cap not being cleaned out on finishing, it doesn’t affect the blade seating or positioning whatsoever and fitment is good with no play at all...

View attachment 1191402
View attachment 1191401
View attachment 1191400

View attachment 1191403
View attachment 1191397
View attachment 1191399
View attachment 1191398
Nice, glad you like it. I like your handle, was hesitating between that one and the Pioneer.

Tonight was the 5th shave with the DS-Z.O (R41 clone) from DScosmetics and they have been fabulous. Each one getting better than the previous experience. The first four shaves I used a Gillette Nacet and the shave action was very efficient with 2 pass shaves for those instances with a slight touch up around the chin and Adam’s Apple. Tonight’s shave was with a fresh Black Ninja (Gillette Platinum, India) that was perhaps even smoother than with the Nacet. Both blades gave very good blade feel yet with better than average smoothness, more so than the Legendary Ikon Tech yet, nearly as efficient. Equal to the 2011 R41 in usage and cutting ability but, slightly easier on the skin. If there is a minor caveat it’s the hybrid open comb bar as the nibs on it feel just a bit pointy. They won’t cut you but, you get a bit of a scraping feeling if you ride closer to the comb end and can be uncomfortable. If they were machined to a rounder finish, it would be a killer razor. As a poster before me has stated, this is not a razor for the weak of heart, a newbie or the Gent that likes his smooth and mild daily shaves from his Gillette British Tech. This is not your smooth daily shaver. This is a no holds barred whisker reducing demon that rivals and matches the aforementioned big boys in the aggressive or super efficient tier. Good lather & good technique equals a superb finish of the highest order with no cuts, nics or irritation to speak of. Just 2 weepers on shave #2 that were gone in an instant with an alum application.

If you enjoy the performance that the Muhle R41 ‘11 & ‘13 both provide, with a feel closer to the 2011 version and would have liked it in a premium alloy, this razor just might be your ticket. Excellent blade feel, less harsh than the R41 and definitely easier on the face than the Ikon Tech, you’ve found your huckleberry.....

CD0234CF-45A3-4DB1-90B1-E5F5F1F437FD.jpeg

Tonight was the 5th shave with the DS-Z.O (R41 clone) from DScosmetics and they have been fabulous. Each one getting better than the previous experience. The first four shaves I used a Gillette Nacet and the shave action was very efficient with 2 pass shaves for those instances with a slight touch up around the chin and Adam’s Apple. Tonight’s shave was with a fresh Black Ninja (Gillette Platinum, India) that was perhaps even smoother than with the Nacet. Both blades gave very good blade feel yet with better than average smoothness, more so than the Legendary Ikon Tech yet, nearly as efficient. Equal to the 2011 R41 in usage and cutting ability but, slightly easier on the skin. If there is a minor caveat it’s the hybrid open comb bar as the nibs on it feel just a bit pointy. They won’t cut you but, you get a bit of a scraping feeling if you ride closer to the comb end and can be uncomfortable. If they were machined to a rounder finish, it would be a killer razor. As a poster before me has stated, this is not a razor for the weak of heart, a newbie or the Gent that likes his smooth and mild daily shaves from his Gillette British Tech. This is not your smooth daily shaver. This is a no holds barred whisker reducing demon that rivals and matches the aforementioned big boys in the aggressive or super efficient tier. Good lather & good technique equals a superb finish of the highest order with no cuts, nics or irritation to speak of. Just 2 weepers on shave #2 that were gone in an instant with an alum application.

If you enjoy the performance that the Muhle R41 ‘11 & ‘13 both provide, with a feel closer to the 2011 version and would have liked it in a premium alloy, this razor just might be your ticket. Excellent blade feel, less harsh than the R41 and definitely easier on the face than the Ikon Tech, you’ve found your huckleberry.....

View attachment 1193472

Hello,

I’m on my second shave with this razor and I’m really liking it so far. Now I’m debating polishing the bottom of the comb teeth. I to noticed it was a little scratchy if you ride the comb. A light polish would radius the bottom of the comb teeth. Hmmmm.

so far no regrets and I am impressed with the quality of this razor.

Cheers
John

Hello,

I’m on my second shave with this razor and I’m really liking it so far. Now I’m debating polishing the bottom of the comb teeth. I to noticed it was a little scratchy if you ride the comb. A light polish would radius the bottom of the comb teeth. Hmmmm.

so far no regrets and I am impressed with the quality of this razor.

Cheers
John

That should work. I’ve got my Dremel with some jewelers rue and I’m going to do the same thing. A more thorough polish/buff should remove that scratchy feeling from the bottom of the teeth.

Ditto here. No regrets at all.... :shaving:

That should work. I’ve got my Dremel with some jewelers rue and I’m going to do the same thing. A more thorough polish/buff should remove that scratchy feeling from the bottom of the teeth.

Ditto here. No regrets at all.... :shaving:

I’m going to use a bench grinder with a firm buff wheel and red compound. I’ll finish up with a buff. Will take pictures before and after.

I did the same thing with my ATT H2 and PAADOC open combs. They both shaved significantly smoother after.

Cheers
John

Hello,

Well took the the razor into the workshop. Gave the bottom of the teeth a light polish. Just barely increased the radius. It was smoother. I’ll polish it again, I didn’t want to remove too much. I’m really liking the efficiency of this razor. It is a beast.

Cheers
John

sotd_14122020.jpg

It was not bad at all. DS-Z0 is more efficient than R41 alright, but just a tad more aggressive.
The shaving technique is virtually the same for both.
Not a daily shaver, but neither is R41 in my stable.
I'll shave more with it and I won't file any claims against Dscosmetic: Z0 is a quality product with its own vibe.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I love the R41 and the thought of a stainless steel version thrilled me.

I bought the Z0 with the "Destroyer" handle. It is very much like my R41. Same characteristics. I have moved on and by now prefer the Executive Shaving Outlaw, as it is simply not as punishing and gives equal or even bette results.

I found it quite harsh, but it does shave very well. The finish was flawless, I did not notice the head geometry differences the OP and others found, it even felt very similar.

What I did not like, was surprisingly the handle: Heavy and well made, but the knurling was very superficial and gave not good grip at all. Almost slippery despite knurling, no comparison to the very well made handle of the Outlaw.

Worth the price and a try? IMO definitely. But I think there are much better stainless steel razors out there by now. If one wants to experience the original R41 but prefer a fancy handle (with the caveat mentioned above, the other handles might be better) I can recommend it.

What I did not like, was surprisingly the handle: Heavy and well made, but the knurling was very superficial and gave not good grip at all. Almost slippery despite knurling, no comparison to the very well made handle of the Outlaw.
That's one of the reasons I didn't use my Destroyer handle. Instead of leaving the knurling be, they've mirror polished it (with the rest of the handle).

Question: Which version are you comparing this to, the '11 or the '13 version.
They are two very different razors.

Top Bottom