What's new

Trying to hold out

I am trying to get the big full handle bar. Straight not like fisticuffs curl. Anyway, it is driving me completely mad. Sides are no where near symetrical. 1 tries to turn up, the other down. Neither wants to stick straight out. The middle just falls over my lip and NO amount of wax cures that. I even tried EXTREME HOLD which was like trying to get a candle in your mustache. Alas, all it seemed to do was make my mustache have little white clumps and weigh it down so it falls even more. People always commenting on how I cannot leave it alone. WELL IT IS IN MY MOUTH CONSTANTLY, MMMKAY PEOPLE? Do I hold oit for better days to come or determine I am not to have the lumber jack handle bar I see in pics? Do you even handle bar? And should I? Trimming instruments laid out and ready. Anyone talk me off the ledge?

My handlebar is really more of an afterthought to the full beard and I usually just point it in the direction I want it to go and let it do what it wants to do. I've seen where some of the guys who really want control and a specific style will use hair styling products a popular one seems to be Got 2B Glued. I would give something like that a try before giving up.

@trentr, I am partway into cultivating a handlebar moustache again. I forgot what a pain it is training and maintaining. I will say that I cannot stand getting any of it into my mouth. Mine is trimmed so that I do not get moustache hair in my mouth.
I tried several waxes a couple of years ago and never found one that I really liked. I tried another product based on a suggestion that I saw online. It sounds funny, and took a little time to dial it in, but give it a try. Uhu glue stick. They are cheap, non toxic and wash out easily. The only time that it doesn't hold well is in the rain. Good luck.

@trentr, I am partway into cultivating a handlebar moustache again. I forgot what a pain it is training and maintaining. I will say that I cannot stand getting any of it into my mouth. Mine is trimmed so that I do not get moustache hair in my mouth.
I tried several waxes a couple of years ago and never found one that I really liked. I tried another product based on a suggestion that I saw online. It sounds funny, and took a little time to dial it in, but give it a try. Uhu glue stick. They are cheap, non toxic and wash out easily. The only time that it doesn't hold well is in the rain. Good luck.
Wow. Thanks. Mine is always in my mouth. Like eating a burger? Gotta bite through hair lol.

When i tried to grow a handlebar i didnt trim it really at all. No products i tried, albeit minimal, seemed to keep it where i wanted. It was constantly in my mouth, sometimes stuck between my teeth like floss. Eating was a challenge.

It was fun and amusing while it lasted.

When i tried to grow a handlebar i didnt trim it really at all. No products i tried, albeit minimal, seemed to keep it where i wanted. It was constantly in my mouth, sometimes stuck between my teeth like floss. Eating was a challenge.

It was fun and amusing while it lasted.
That is sort of where I am at. Hoping it grows past that stage and will go to the sides as opposed to in my mouth. I will likely end up going back to my short beard/mustache or goatee/mustache eventually.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I try not to over wax, as I want the moustache to look as natural as possible. If someone says "oh, you've waxed it", I've failed. Just my preference. I don't mind it looking waxed occasionally, if going out for a meal or something, but not as an everyday look.

That aside, try oiling first. A softened and hydrated moustache is less likely to fight back as hard. To avoid the lumps of wax, oil first, rub the wax between finger and thumb till it's lump free, then apply. The oil helps the wax not stick to your fingers too. Next comb through the moustache, assess, and repeat as necessary. That might mean adding another drop of oil to the fingers first.

Gradually build up the layers, rather than just slap on a handful, and be sure to work the wax in well, so the hair shafts are well coated, and the wax isn't just sat on top. A thin layer all around each hair, will hold better than a thicker layer just sat on top.

I try not to over wax, as I want the moustache to look as natural as possible. If someone says "oh, you've waxed it", I've failed. Just my preference. I don't mind it looking waxed occasionally, if going out for a meal or something, but not as an everyday look.

That aside, try oiling first. A softened and hydrated moustache is less likely to fight back as hard. To avoid the lumps of wax, oil first, rub the wax between finger and thumb till it's lump free, then apply. The oil helps the wax not stick to your fingers too. Next comb through the moustache, assess, and repeat as necessary. That might mean adding another drop of oil to the fingers first.

Gradually build up the layers, rather than just slap on a handful, and be sure to work the wax in well, so the hair shafts are well coated, and the wax isn't just sat on top. A thin layer all around each hair, will hold better than a thicker layer just sat on top.
I thought I had noticed the wax I have now works better if I use some balm first. When I had the real stiff stuff, it crumbled and disappeared really on my fingers. Heating my fingers helped, but I bet oiling them like you mentioned would have kept the wax from sticking to them and being crumbled to bits. The real hard stuff was all natural "artisan" type stuff. I tossed it as it really frustrated me. What I have now is some likely very cheap stuff that came with a facial hair trimming kit. It is much softer and petroleum based, but it holds just as well if not better than the super hard beeswax. All be it that could be due to application error LOL

Thank you very much for your tips. I have done quite some bit of looking and pretty sure I never came across that little tid bit. Mostly all 1. Hot water 2. Hair dryer Which both help to some degree but are not a good solution in my experience.

@trentr I am real late to this discussion. How are you holding out with the stache? Which waxes have you tried? I find that Capt Fawcett has a good hold. Some of these other "super hold" ones are too much of a hassle to work in. My current wax is Stache Bomb.

I let mine grow out for a solid 8 or 9 months trying to get to the point that it would get long enough to stay out of my mouth. It never did. We all have different terminal lengths. I started trimming the lip line to keep it out of my mouth.

@trentr I am real late to this discussion. How are you holding out with the stache? Which waxes have you tried? I find that Capt Fawcett has a good hold. Some of these other "super hold" ones are too much of a hassle to work in. My current wax is Stache Bomb.
pretty much the same thing gwsmallwood posted. I trimmed it off my lip just the width of the lip. I used some generic stuff that came with a grooming kit. It was just so so. Easy to apply but did not last long at all. Then I got Viking Revolution Extreme Hold thinking it would hold better. It was hard as a candle and a real trick to get applied......and still did not hold long at all. I wanted a natural look, not a solid waxy wad. well even when I put enough in that it looked like a solid waxy wad, it still fell into my mouth. NOTHING (I say as I have tried 2 LOL) will keep the dang thing out to the sides. So off it went and I have less stress and facial fidgeting because of it.

So off it went and I have less stress and facial fidgeting because of it.
If you feel up to trying it again, I just started trying a new wax that I got for Christmas. Was not sure about it but the scent is good and the hold is fantastic! It is called Opium Den and it is made by The Bearded Bastard. You could give it a try.

Top Bottom