What's new

Going through a 'Synthetics Phase'

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
20201121 - Broke out 'Big Red' for my Saturday shave. 😎

RazoRock F-400 (34mm Noir Plissoft synthetic knot)
View attachment 1185626
Now that is a big brush, good one for a head shaving possibly also. I have some 26 mm Yaqi's and they are pushing my my limits and when I measure the knot size they are bigger than the 26mm. In theory you have a lot more whiskers massaging a person's face & head and you will feel more back bone because just from the #'s of whiskers. I wonder how may whiskers it would take to make a brush like that 34mm.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Now that is a big brush, good one for a head shaving possibly also. I have some 26 mm Yaqi's and they are pushing my my limits and when I measure the knot size they are bigger than the 26mm. In theory you have a lot more whiskers massaging a person's face & head and you will feel more back bone because just from the #'s of whiskers. I wonder how may whiskers it would take to make a brush like that 34mm.

In use, it's actually a pretty good brush, but does use a bit of soap.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
For quite a while my go-to was a RazoRock Beehive Synthetic. Then I decided to rock a fascination with boar brushes for a while, but picked up a Simpson T2 Trafalgar just for giggles.

Well, we'll see how much giggling I do starting Monday, when I take that Simpson for a ride. Looking forward to it!

O.H.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
@Rudy Vey B&B 2020 Contributors Handle (TNS 24mm BOSS v1)
20201122_110523~2.jpg

Tried the Turn-N-Shave BOSS Batch 1 knot on Milton's recommendation and found that I really like it.

Picked up a 26mm Batch 1 fan, have it set in a nice Wild West Brushworks handle and will be trying it out tomorrow. :)

I just received e few more Simpson brushes to add to the synthetics line up.
Got a Chubby and a X2 Colonel, to complement the M7 and the Trafalgar 3 I bought earlier this year.
And there is still the original Chubby 2, in 'synthetic bristle'.

FE115BF5-3E44-4B60-9F4F-F4C0754BABB5.jpeg

Funny how they all seem to have another batch of fibres, or at least different names.

With the T3 and the Chubby, Simpson seems to have hit a homerun.
Very affordable, and excellent build quality with stellar performing knots.

No reason to own a mediocre shaving brush anymore.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I just received e few more Simpson brushes to add to the synthetics line up.
Got a Chubby and a X2 Colonel, to complement the M7 and the Trafalgar 3 I bought earlier this year.
And there is still the original Chubby 2, in 'synthetic bristle'.

View attachment 1188526

Funny how they all seem to have another batch of fibres, or at least different names.

With the T3 and the Chubby, Simpson seems to have hit a homerun.
Very affordable, and excellent build quality with stellar performing knots.

No reason to own a mediocre shaving brush anymore.

Nice brushes. Really like the M7. :cool:

West Coast Shaving just had a day of free shipping with no minimum, plus a discount on house-brand products. I ordered one of their "Lantern" synthetic brushes, mainly to use for travel (fast-drying) but curious to see how it performs beside my Lantern Silvertip and a couple of other pure Badger brushes.

I picked up my first synthetic, the Alpha Evergoose, this past summer. I have since picked up a Bruce and a Big Bruce. I have been getting mixed results so I like this idea of dedicating some time to the synthetics as I suspect the issues are user error.
PXL_20201214_004132395.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20201214_014613385.PORTRAIT.jpg
I just finished a shave with the 'goose. It started off with similar to the others. I loaded plenty and was frequently dipping the tips in water but the lather seemed to almost wash away when touched with the brush. I managed to paint on a workable lather for the first pass.

During my second pass, I figured out what I think I was doing wrong. I intentionally splayed the brush more and nice lather formed on the sides, which I then painted. Much better!

I think the firm backbone was causing me not to splay much. Will experiment more but the main mystery for me is solved.

I picked up my first synthetic, the Alpha Evergoose, this past summer. I have since picked up a Bruce and a Big Bruce. I have been getting mixed results so I like this idea of dedicating some time to the synthetics as I suspect the issues are user error.
View attachment 1194797View attachment 1194798
I just finished a shave with the 'goose. It started off with similar to the others. I loaded plenty and was frequently dipping the tips in water but the lather seemed to almost wash away when touched with the brush. I managed to paint on a workable lather for the first pass.

During my second pass, I figured out what I think I was doing wrong. I intentionally splayed the brush more and nice lather formed on the sides, which I then painted. Much better!

I think the firm backbone was causing me not to splay much. Will experiment more but the main mystery for me is solved.
Are you bowl lathering? Synths manage water very differently than the naturals. Try starting with a damp as opposed to a dripping brush. Nice brushes!

I'm enjoying synthetics but I did noticed there's a huge difference in quality my current favourites are the Simpson Trafalgar T2/T3 and AP shave faux marble tux 24mm, the emerald synbad 24mm is on its way 😀

Top Bottom