What's new

Mitchells Woolfat🤔

It's not my favorite, but it's a good soap. I think it's one of those classic must-try soaps, along with Tabac, Proraso, and Cella. If you have trouble lathering it, try grating it into a container. I've always found that it lathers better after being grated.

It's not my favorite, but it's a good soap. I think it's one of those classic must-try soaps, along with Tabac, Proraso, and Cella. If you have trouble lathering it, try grating it into a container. I've always found that it lathers better after being grated.

I got some questions on grating, so I figured I'd respond here. You can find info here on the forum, and there are some good YouTube videos as well. You can use a plain ol' box grater, but it's a bit of a pain. For one thing, the heat from your hands can warm up the soap making it softer and more difficult to grate. It can also release some of the oils and fragrance. I prefer a rotary grater like THIS.

The finer the grating, the easier it is to press back into the tub, tin, or bowl. But I've also seen people who prefer to just use a paring knife to cut shavings and press them back down.

I don't add any water or anything, though I've heard some recommendations for that as well. I just press everything into the bowl by hand. I've never needed the water.

Once you've done it a couple of times, you can start getting adventurous. I recently combined equal parts MWF, Tabac, and Haslinger Schafmilch into a container and made myself some TaFatLinger.

Once you've done it a couple of times, you can start getting adventurous. I recently combined equal parts MWF, Tabac, and Haslinger Schafmilch into a container and made myself some TaFatLinger.

I did the same (with other soaps) a few times. When a hard soap starts to develop the "doughnut hole" I put it aside. When I have 2 or 3 "doughnuts" I grate and mix them together leaving me with 1 or 1,5oz new mini puck. Best pairing to date was Tabac + SV

Tabacartica.png

In the past I had mixed results with MWF but loved it when it worked

My breakthrough was discovering that it was kind of the opposite to most soaps...

Usually if lather is dissipating it implies too much water but I found in MWF it means the opposite, not enough water. Started adding (quite a bit) more and have never looked back :)

Undoubtedly a good soap and I definitely will give it another go during cold winter days but just can't use it regularly because of the relatively greasy post shave feel

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Love my MWF, for me it is slick and lathers well (I am from the school of keeping it wet in an airtight container)
I know it is the Marmite of soaps, you either love it or hate it, but I personally love it

I like it now. When I first purchased it several years ago , I couldn’t get a decent lather.
I started blooming it with a little hot water and a drier brush and I was finally able to get a really nice lather. Post shave sensation was nice.

My puck of MWF arrived a while ago. The soap is softer than I expected and grated easily. I had it shredded and compacted into a new container in just a few minutes. Smells nice. Wasn't sure how I was expecting it to smell, exactly, but I wasn't expecting what I got. Will give it a go tomorrow morning.
MWF.jpg
MWF 2.jpg

I shave with The Fat almost daily. When I receive a new puck I put it in the ceramic crock and cover it with a thin layer of water. Checking it daily, I add water if it’s not covered. After about 5 days, the puck swells to fill the container. When it does that it’s ready to go.

I get excellent slickness and great protection from The Fat. The best part is that it leaves my skin soft as a baby’s behind.

Great stuff but a bit temperamental. It likes to be used daily. Also it’s a soap that really benefits from the ceramic container. There is no shave like MWF that’s well broken in, bloomed in the ceramic container with the hottest water your tap will give you, and face lathered with a good Badger brush.

For me it is the soap that all else have to measure up to. It was my first soap and still is my favorite. Super slick, nice, mild, soapy scent, after the shave it leaves the skin supple but not oily, excellent cost per shave. Not the most intuitive soap, but it is not that difficult to get a good lather from it. As already mentioned, it behaves better when used frequently.

I just got MWF last week and love the performance and post shave skin feel. My skin feels soft and smooth all day long, even after washing my face or after a shower later on.

I started off blooming the soap and squeezing my brush before lathering. However the last few days I have found it easier and quicker to lather without blooming, with a squeezed brush after soaking it. I think using the right amount of water is important, especially with MWF.

I also think it is possible to use MWF with most waters. You just may have to tinker with the procedure and the amount of water you use.

I am that impressed with MWF, I bought 2 more pucks in the black Friday sales.

20201122_063039.jpg

Last edited:
Well my first shave using MWF was entirely successful this morning. Building a lather was definitely NOT an issue; quite the contrary actually. Using a very wet (but not dripping) Simpson T1 I loaded the dry puck for 15 seconds then went to the bowl. A few minutes and some additional water later, when it was all said and done, that brush load provided enough lather for two, three-pass shaves I'd say, probably with some left over. Had I used the T3 instead I think I would have been up to my elbows. And the lather is outstanding. Not enough to knock Stirling "Sheep" out of my rotation but very impressive. Definitely glad I tried it.

For all of you going on about "bad batches," have a word with yourselves. The formula has been established for over one hundred years. What's more likely to have prevented you not getting the soap to work? Their "bad batch" or your technique, brush, or most likely, above all, the softness of your water?

For all of you going on about "bad batches," have a word with yourselves. The formula has been established for over one hundred years. What's more likely to have prevented you not getting the soap to work? Their "bad batch" or your technique, brush, or most likely, above all, the softness of your water?
In my case, I had three people test out my MWF puck and could not lather it other than a bunch of foam (Including a guy who loves MWF). When I got a sample of MWF from a friend, it lathered beautifully without altering anything.

@dkpw Soap is manufactured just like almost every other consumable product, and is subject to error in manufacture. I am fully confident in the abilities of many wet-shavers here, like @Timeclo above, and fully believe them when they say they had a bad batch of something.

Top Bottom