What's new

Prefer my own shave over a barbers.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
My last barber's shave was a couple of months ago. I enjoy his shave (traditional SR with all the trimmings) and admiring his cute assistant. At about USD 1.50 the cost is not overly excessive.

Although I could easily go and have another barber's shave, I prefer to SR shave myself. I enjoy SR shaving - even without a cute assistant.

I've tried several times to get a good barber shave and the effort failed each time. I don't think that shaving is taught any longer or at least not taught well. I much prefer to shave myself now

I’ve never had a barber’s shave, but I sure would like to try one. Unfortunately, I can’t find a shop that still does a traditional hot towel, straight razor shave.

I have had a few ‘barber shaves’ that were all inferior to my own.

One day I plan to try a real ’London barber’ shave! But that has to wait until after the Pandemic passes.
I was in London in 2002, but shaving with Carts at the time it never occurred to me to get a Oondon Barber Shave. I bet they are magnificent. I’ll probably never go back, so I’ve missed my chance.

I used to like a proper barber shave as a once-in-awhile luxury. Years ago. I would pick a big, old-fashioned barber shop, usually off the lobby of some large downtown hotel. Nothing quite like it.
A couple of years ago, I grew a beard, unwillingly; broken arm, couldn't shave. A friend treated me to a barber shave and haircut and shampoo when I was once more among the living. Shavette, not bad, but nothing much better than I could do at home. And he did trim off one edge of my mustache, by mistake.

I want to try one...

There is a shop around me that does them, but it isn't inexpensive. Shave alone is $60.
Don't know if they use a SR or a shavette.
The description from their website:
Traditional three course shave with and against the grain, pre-shave oil, warm lather, steamed towels, light facial massage, charcoal face mask, after-shave balm, and a cold towel to finish. Outline of the beard or goatee if needed
Time allotted for the shave is one hour.

The last local experienced barber that did straight shaves (actually shavettes) retired in 2004. I went a few times before growing my beard. He charged about $9 USD. My own shaves were much better as far as being close and smooth. The experience of being in a barber chair leaned back with a hot towel etc was better at the shop. It was nice and relaxing to just lay there and let him do the work. It was worth it as a treat.

There’s a young group of barbers that just opened up a shop here right before COVID that specialize in beard trims. I treated myself to a beard trim last summer just to support them. They offer face shaves, head shaves along with regular haircuts. At some point I’m going to go for a head shave and beard trim. They use shavettes because of local health department requirements.

Head shave $36 USD
Face shave $30 USD (I think)
Beard trim $26 USD

I went to the local barber college in our town for a barbershop shave once. It was a treat with the reclining, hot towels, face oil, shave lathered, straight razor and the rest involved. It took about an hour to do. Cost $15.00 and gave the student $5.00 tip. Only problem is it only lasts for one day.

Last one was a new barber in my hometown, the only one that still offers shaves.

He did it with a shavette and wasn't a good shave, very close and smooth but he didn't mapped the beard well and went too rough ATG in some areas. Left me with an angry, raw meat face that lasted a whole week without shaving to recover.

The “original barber” in town got old and still offers haircuts but he declined offering shaves a few year ago since he doesn't trust his steadiness. Never got a shave from him but people that did say they were the best shaves they’ve ever gotten!

Is a shame is a dying art😥

I was in London in 2002, but shaving with Carts at the time it never occurred to me to get a Oondon Barber Shave. I bet they are magnificent. I’ll probably never go back, so I’ve missed my chance.
On one of my annual visits to London a few years ago, I had a barber shave, at Truefitt and Hill as I recall. It was the only time I've ever let anyone else shave me, and it was nothing short of sublime! A lime scented hot towel, straight razor shave with Apsley soap, face massage, and so forth. It took about a half hour, and I was groaning (quietly) with hedonistic joy the whole time! At £50, it was expensive, but I've already decided I'll do it again when I go back. I'm getting up in years, and you can't take your money with you, right?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My last barber's shave was a couple of months ago. I enjoy his shave (traditional SR with all the trimmings) and admiring his cute assistant. At about USD 1.50 the cost is not overly excessive.

Although I could easily go and have another barber's shave, I prefer to SR shave myself. I enjoy SR shaving - even without a cute assistant.
Don't admire his cute assistant too much until you find out how close they are! That dude has a straight razor aimed at your juglar vein!

FarmerTan

Barber College for me when Covid goes away. I'm old, I was (am still licensed) a Cosmetologist for more than 40 years and cut more men's hair than the Barber's in my town. Time to finally pay for a shave, to a kid who's hands will probably be shaking worse than mine do! He or she has to practice on someone!

I just won't mention that I'm on Coumadin. Don't want to get their hands shaking too much! LOL!

FarmerTan

Barber College for me when Covid goes away. I'm old, I was (am still licensed) a Cosmetologist for more than 40 years and cut more men's hair than the Barber's in my town. Time to finally pay for a shave, to a kid who's hands will probably be shaking worse than mine do! He or she has to practice on someone!

I just won't mention that I'm on Coumadin. Don't want to get their hands shaking too much! LOL!
Haircuts were $2 back when I was in Beauty Skool! A 25 cent tip was a big deal, ha!

Top Bottom