What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

“Blade Gap” is the dimension in red on this Gillette diagram.
I'm guessing that that sketch was inspired by our own Grant's (@ShavingByTheNumbers) illustration HERE on B&B.
Voilà:
1606006936729.png

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I stand corrected. After reviewing a drawing I could see that I was confusing blade exposure with cap span. From Adjustable Razor Blade Gaps – Gillette Adjustable Razors - https://gilletteadjustable.com/misc-2/adjustable-razor-blade-gaps/

*Standard Slims are built using the same physical parts as the Aristocrat Slim – only the plating metal (nickel or gold) is different.

“Blade Gap” is the dimension in red on this Gillette diagram.

See how “Blade Gap” changes based on Adjustment Dial position. A higher dial setting equals more Blade Gap equals greater blade Exposure equals closer shave.

View attachment 1185360

Excellent linked information, Doug.

Too bad the little video (probably a gif) can't be paused. If we could pause it, we could guesstimate, er, measure the blade exposure (I think there's a blade installed; a bit hard to see).

My Slim is soaking in Dawn. Maybe tomorrow I can examine it carefully and compare what I see in hand with what I see in the video. The razor is undergoing its second of the day long soak. After the first soak the action of the adjustment wheel felt definitely more free and easy. That's very very good, and may save me from ordering an ultrasonic cleaner today.

Speaking of ultrasonic cleaners, Mike @Esox and I never received the ones we ordered from China for some absurdly low price. We both got our money back though I think.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
My Slim is soaking in Dawn. Maybe tomorrow I can examine it carefully and compare what I see in hand with what I see in the video. The razor is undergoing its second of the day long soak. After the first soak the action of the adjustment wheel felt definitely more free and easy. That's very very good, and may save me from ordering an ultrasonic cleaner today.
My Slim freed up nicely after a long soak in Dawn.

Looks like "Slant Fever" has taken hold here.

Never having tried a Slant myself, but having a cigar box full of DE blades (100's of the buggers), should I buy one of the Fatip's?
Been asking myself that question on and off for a while. Got Connaught's page open right now and my finger on the trigger - but, which one? Open or Closed?

I've not really enjoyed most of the DE razors that I've tried and never got the hang of steep angle shaving either. It's a bit of a dilemma, that could easily be solved by not buying anything. But then, am I missing out on the Holy Grail of shaving?

Question for you Jim.

Knowing that I like shaving with Schicks and other SE razors (Ever Ready and Gems). Dislike aggressive DE razors or steep angle shaving, and was scared stiff of the Fatip Grande I once had.

Am I wasting my time buying one?
If not, which one should I consider?

I assume the Gentile (closed comb) is the least aggressive?

More than one question I know, sorry about that. :)

To be quite honest, I don't need another razor. After trying to give away the DE blades I have, there still seems to be years and years worth in the box. So, I keep thinking that maybe I should find something to use them up with. Something thats inexpensive - at least for experimenting purposes.
I have tried using them in shavettes, but they have never really impressed me that much.

I still shave with straights, although pretty much only use my two Tanifuji's. When they need refreshed and can't be bothered to get my stones out, I'll shave for a while with my Schicks or Ever Ready or Feather SS and Proline.

My closest shaves by far are with the SS/Proline, closely followed by Tanifuji's and then the Schicks.
You just can't beat a Proline with a couple of shaves under it's belt.

The OC Fatip Lo Storto is a great slant, definitely suitable as a starting point. I can't imagine that it would give you any problems, especially if you are a Gem / E-R fan.

It's good to see you around, Doug @Somerled. :punk:

Thanks Cal. Never really been away, just never felt the need to post - lurking around you could say.

My outlook on shaving has gone down similar ways to yours. Going more minimalism - less is better, kindof route.
Still have a ways to go though.
Tempted just to sell off everything and by a lifetimes supply of Prolines to use with my SS.
Already started the process. Remains to be seen how far I'm willing to go, or how much I'm willing to let go.

You're welcome, my friend.

I'll be interested in how you like the FOCS, Doug.

What soap do you buy from Connaught? The last I bought there was a kilo of Vitos Red. I'm only about a quarter into that brick.

Jim

sandalwood cream.jpg

This and MdC Fougere are probably the only two soaps/creams I couldn't live without.
All the rest I have will likely never be bought again when they run out. Maybe the exception to that would be Proraso's Wood & Spice Single Edge Cream. I'll get to that when it eventually runs out.

Reactions: Cal

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Maybe the exception to that would be Proraso's Wood & Spice Single Edge Cream. I'll get to that when it eventually runs out.

I expected that one to be higher up the list than the Salter Sandalwood, based on your earlier comments (or at least, my perception/memory of your earlier comments).

Good to see you back posting, Doug. :thumbup:

I expected that one to be higher up the list than the Salter Sandalwood, based on your earlier comments (or at least, my perception/memory of your earlier comments).

Good to see you back posting, Doug. :thumbup:
You're probably right Al, I remember thinking that a while back. But the more I used the Sandalwood the more I wanted to use it.
Couple of weeks ago the bottom of the jar appeared and I was crestfallen. I knew then I couldn't live without it.

IMG_20201122_134805.jpg

I've had the MdC (on the right) far longer and probably used it more than the Sandalwood. A testament to the longevity of MdC.
It's probably around 3 years since I bought it, and it's showing no signs of going off.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've not tried the CRS Sandalwood, but a lot of guys seem to love it. From what I've concluded from reading about it, its scent is the main attraction, but I'm sure the scent wouldn't appeal were the CRS's performance subpar.

MdC is the perfect soap in many ways, but I find it a tad drying. Drying and I don't get along. Like you, Doug, I love the scent of the MdC Fougere. Also, it's always fun to find out how little you can load. I'm pretty sure there's a point where you've loaded too little but I've not found it. Once I had the brush out on the counter already soaked, and the jar open, and my face wet. I left the room for a few seconds only to return, look in the mirror, and find myself all lathered up, and the brush full of lather.

It's embarrassing how many soaps I have. I use very few of them at all, and only my Vitos Red enough to ever use it up. A gentlemen recently sent me a jar of Simpson's Shaving Creme (which is not a cream). I've been using it occasionally. Good performance and a lovely, gentlemanly subtle scent. Mostly, I'm very happy and content and pleased with the great performance without significant scent of the Vitos Red.

For the record, Vitos Red actually has, to my nose, two scents. One is coconut (I think); very subtle. I like that scent fine and actually hardly ever notice it as it's extremely subtle. The other scent is a chemical marzipan scent which to a considerable degree I dislike. Fortunately, by leaving a piece of the Vitos out in the room air for a week or so, the scent goes away. I mess with the piece of soap, spreading it out like pie crust to increase its surface area. That speeds up the process. The marzipan scent dissipates. The coconut scent remains.

My Slim freed up nicely after a long soak in Dawn.

I was amazed how much different the adjustment wheel and mechanism felt after soaking in a bit of Dawn for only a couple or so hours. It's now soaked overnight. I'll check it later this morning.

I read that the Gillette adjustables were designed to be experimented with until the user found the perfect setting for a one pass shave. It was said almost everyone (back in the day) was only interested in a very quick one pass shave, so they found their right adjustment and never again touched the adjustment wheel. Thus, soap gunk accumulated inside over time to gum up the works, but the users didn't even notice.

Here's where I read that ⬆ stuff, or at least some of that stuff. You'll find a number of pages of information and data, a terrific resource for anyone interested in the Gillette adjustables.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Every time I had used my Slim in the past I started with setting #5, usually adjusting it during the shave trying to find a setting that was comfortable and getting bit instead.

I picked it up 2 weeks ago after reading @4and20blackbirds journal, set it on #1 and was very surprised how comfortable it had become, along with a very close shave, irritation free. Now on setting #4, I plan on leaving it there, and using it more.
Good to hear, @Rosseforp! I think it’s great that you and @Chan Eil Whiskers both got such fine shaves on setting #1. I could not believe it the first time it happened and it really caused me to start questioning my assumptions. The next time the Slim comes up on a dice roll I’m going to start at #4 and finish with #1.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Too bad the little video (probably a gif) can't be paused. If we could pause it, we could guesstimate, er, measure the blade exposure (I think there's a blade installed; a bit hard to see).

Slim on 1.
SET_1.jpg

Slim on 4.
SET_4.jpg

Slim on 9.
SET_9.jpg

I havent seen picture of a Wolfman taken with the proper angle, but I suspect the blade exposure is neutral to slightly positive. Much the same as the NEW SC that has .023" blade gap.

1.25mm gap equates to .049". Adding three shims would increase that by around .012" giving a total of .061" blade gap.

I dont have a proper set of feeler gauges but I do have a dime. A Canadian dime is .049" thick and fits tightly under the blade edge of my Slim on 9. From that I'd guess a Slim on 9 is equal in blade gap to the Wolfman 1.25mm but with barely neutral blade exposure.

SET_9.jpg

Increasing blade gap also increases blade exposure so I would assume a Wolfman with .061" gap to have positive blade exposure.

When checking your Slim, look at the SB straight on while you click through the range of adjustments from both sides to make sure the blade tray rises equally end to end.

Yeah, those cleaners were almost a good buy for $6 and change haha.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

410928.gif

I've not tried the CRS Sandalwood, but a lot of guys seem to love it. From what I've concluded from reading about it, its scent is the main attraction, but I'm sure the scent wouldn't appeal were the CRS's performance subpar.

I'd put the performance of CRS against any other soap out there. It's easily the equal of WK DM and Wickham and might even equal SV but I need to use my SV more. I think it's performance betters Cella Bio and Vitos.

The scent is stunning. Its a true Sandalwood and its fairly strong. It lingers really well in a more laid back kind of way than even Proraso Red. I can smell it for hours. Linda could still smell it after a 12 hour drive to Wawa the last time we went.

The jars are also large, 5.8oz's and the price is right. I've been using my Wild Rose more than two years and I have about 1/3rd left. I've barely put a dent in my Sandalwood in the last year. My nephew says the CRS French Vetiver smells so nice he wishes they made a laundry soap that smells the same lol. CRS has the nicest scent profiles of any soap or cream range I've yet tried with the possible exception of Captain's Choice.

I could, quite easily I think, buy the range of CRS cream scents and never use anything else.

If you'd like to try another soap Jim, try Southern Witchcrafts, it's made in Tucker, Georgia. I've only used mine once so far, but the performance of that soap might surpass all others I have used.

The scent of my Anthropophagy is okay. The scent profile is very nice, it smells like freshly steamed linen and is an accurate scent but not the most appealing to me. The lather however is spectacular. It lathers and feels like a very rich and dense Tallow soap but its a veg soap so shouldnt clog your pipes haha.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Awesome link Jim, thanks.

You're welcome. Someone posted it on another thread. It was too good not to spread around a bit.

1606070685051.png
⬅ Slim on 1​
Slim on 4 ➡​
1606070705180.png
1606070722976.png
⬅ Slim on 9​

Slim on 1. Slim on 4. Slim on 9.

When checking your Slim, look at the SB straight on while you click through the range of adjustments from both sides to make sure the blade tray rises equally end to end.

Yeah, those cleaners were almost a good buy for $6 and change haha.

Thanks for the very useful photos, Mike.

I am not looking for soaps to buy, but that doesn't mean I'm uninterested in hearing about them.

In my opinion, based on my experience, and on my skin and whiskers, nothing tops Vitos Red. Of course, that can only mean soaps I've tried. I like SV a lot, and Wickhams, and others, but they don't beat out Vitos, not even close.

Well, they beat it out big time in the scent department, some of them do, but that's minor to me as long as the scent isn't bad.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday my shave was good. Still experimenting with the Gillette Slim.

11-22-20.Slim.CopperBoar.Vitos.640.JPG

Loaded another new Wizamet SI today.

Zenith copper handled boar.

Vitos Red.

Gillette Slim I-1.​

My Slim has now been soaked in Dawn three times. That helped but I think the mechanism is still stickier than it should be. I'm going to acquire an ultrasonic cleaner to fix that.

For today's slave the Slim was set on #4. I can't say I noticed a huge difference in comfort or outcome (but it's only minutes after the shave).

Nice post shave products including the Pineapple Bay Rum.

(It's not my favorite bay rum but it's nice.)​
10-27-20.Cremo.HyaluronicAcid.PineappleBayRum.640.JPG

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
:facep: You spendthrift!

I meant to mention that Saturday's new blade was moved to the FOCS; the slant actually needed a new blade. Saturday's blade had been used only once so it was new enough for the slant.

On Sunday I loaded and used a new blade in the Slim. For science.

I apologize for going through the blades so rapidly. Sometimes I only get twenty or thirty shaves from a blade.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday's shave continued the Slim experiment.

11-23-20.Slim-on-6.Vitos.Mistura.640.JPG

Gillette Slim - #6
Wizamet SI, Flipped​

Got a nick on my lower face near my lower lip. This was from the corner of the blade and me not being careful.

The shave was otherwise good on #6.

Usual Suspects ➡​
10-27-20.Cremo.HyaluronicAcid.PineappleBayRum.640.JPG

The Semogue Mistura was a wonderful brush from the get go, but it's even better now. The scrub has become truly delicious! The Mistura is a lather monster; it builds lather extremely fast. Great brush.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Top Bottom