What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave was experimental, surprising, and good.

11-21-20.GilletteSlim.Jade.Vitos.640JPG.JPG

11-21-20.Slim.bottom.640.JPG

The top photos's not very good, but the other two show the razor pretty well.​
11-21-20.Slim.top.640.JPG

In the first stage of my wet shaving adventure, before I said the hell with it and grew a beard, I used Gillette razors. I'm not 100% sure which Gillettes, but at least one of the several were adjustables. I kinda sorta might remember one being a Fatboy, and for sure one was either a Fatboy or a Slim. Perhaps another was one of the "Light, Heavy, and Regular" generation of Gillettes.

In any event, I didn't like any of them.

My shaves back then were just about universally lousy. Nicks, cuts, and more than anything, razor burn, chapped skin, and post shave discomfort. Post shave red skin. Post shave pain.

1605979096183.png

That was then. This is now.​

Today's shave began with one of my usual prep methods, washing my face at the sink, and the building of a very good, very wet lather with an excellent boar, using a soap I know extremely well, and like to the nth degree.

I used the Slim at my usual steep angle.

Not knowing jack about the razor I elected to begin with the adjustable set on #1. If I understand things properly, and please correct me if you know better, the Slim's adjustments change the gap, and the lowest setting has the smallest gap, and nothing else other than the gap changes as the adjustment level is increased.

My plan was to increase the adjustment number should I need to, and I thought increasing the adjustment number would be required.

I didn't need to change anything.

The adjustment stayed at #1 throughout the shave today.

The shave was good.​
1605979572894.png

My objective today was merely to see if I could shave better with an old Gillette adjustable than I used to. It was both to test the razor and to test my technique and the rest of my kit.

Certainly the kit I used back in the day wasn't today's kit. As I recall I used both the readily available Gillette Blue Blades and also the then new and highly touted but more expensive Wilkinson Sword Blades (the original ones from, I believe, England). I used Gillette shaving soap from a can. It was before shaving gels. Brushes and real shaving soap were unknown in my world.

1605979996159.png

We all know every improvement in technique, and in kit, improves the shave, right?​

Frankly I'm shocked at how good the shave was today. I will continue the experiment. I will try some of the higher adjustment numbers.

I'm not wild about skinny handles, including this one. The razor feels top heavy, too, which I do not love. It wasn't any problem shaving under my nose (which I thought it might be). Still, the bottom lime was a good, reasonably close, reasonably easy, blood free, reasonably comfortable shave.

I'm not always a fan of vanilla, and this is a strongly vanilla scented splash, but today it seemed like it would be exactly right.

It is.

The vanilla scent is very powerful, but also very pleasant.

Cremo Face Moisturizer and hyaluronic acid completed by kit.​
CaribbeanHoliday (splash).640.11-20.JPG

Pretty sure the Slim hasn't changed since my youth (and no, this isn't the exact razor I owned back then; rather it is an eBay purchase made a couple or so years ago; I was too chicken to shave with it until today).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Every time I had used my Slim in the past I started with setting #5, usually adjusting it during the shave trying to find a setting that was comfortable and getting bit instead.

I picked it up 2 weeks ago after reading @4and20blackbirds journal, set it on #1 and was very surprised how comfortable it had become, along with a very close shave, irritation free. Now on setting #4, I plan on leaving it there, and using it more.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Every time I had used my Slim in the past I started with setting #5, usually adjusting it during the shave trying to find a setting that was comfortable and getting bit instead.

I picked it up 2 weeks ago after reading @4and20blackbirds journal, set it on #1 and was very surprised how comfortable it had become, along with a very close shave, irritation free. Now on setting #4, I plan on leaving it there, and using it more.

Thanks for the information and tips.

I have a Fatboy, too, and a gold Fatboy someone gave me (what are they called, the Executive?) and a Black Beauty (Super Adjustable 84 or one of the other variants?). Guess over time I'll try them all.

To me the Fatboy is a whole lot better looking + it has a fat handle. Folks say the balance is better than the Slim. Folks say all sorts of things.

I'm watching college football and marveling at today's shave (and the vanilla). Between plays I'm reading up on the Gillette adjustables. According to some, the adjustment changes the gap. Others, blade exposure. Me, no idea, only questions.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
CaribbeanHoliday (splash).640.11-20.JPG

This is a splash with a presence.

Powerful. Vanilla. Persists.

Alone watching football I'm pleased by the scent, and I'm bothering nobody.

I wouldn't call this a subtle scent.

Should I wear less?

Mini-review of Caribbean Holiday After Shaving Splash: Only if you like vanilla.

Yes, there's a bit of the tropics in the scent, more than just vanilla, but vanilla is prominent. I bought it for the tropics, was surprised by the vanilla, and kinda like it which is even more surprising.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Looks like "Slant Fever" has taken hold here.

Never having tried a Slant myself, but having a cigar box full of DE blades (100's of the buggers), should I buy one of the Fatip's?
Been asking myself that question on and off for a while. Got Connaught's page open right now and my finger on the trigger - but, which one? Open or Closed?

I've not really enjoyed most of the DE razors that I've tried and never got the hang of steep angle shaving either. It's a bit of a dilemma, that could easily be solved by not buying anything. But then, am I missing out on the Holy Grail of shaving?

Question for you Jim.

Knowing that I like shaving with Schicks and other SE razors (Ever Ready and Gems). Dislike aggressive DE razors or steep angle shaving, and was scared stiff of the Fatip Grande I once had.

Am I wasting my time buying one?
If not, which one should I consider?

I assume the Gentile (closed comb) is the least aggressive?

More than one question I know, sorry about that. :)

To be quite honest, I don't need another razor. After trying to give away the DE blades I have, there still seems to be years and years worth in the box. So, I keep thinking that maybe I should find something to use them up with. Something thats inexpensive - at least for experimenting purposes.
I have tried using them in shavettes, but they have never really impressed me that much.

I still shave with straights, although pretty much only use my two Tanifuji's. When they need refreshed and can't be bothered to get my stones out, I'll shave for a while with my Schicks or Ever Ready or Feather SS and Proline.

My closest shaves by far are with the SS/Proline, closely followed by Tanifuji's and then the Schicks.
You just can't beat a Proline with a couple of shaves under it's belt.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Looks like "Slant Fever" has taken hold here.

Never having tried a Slant myself, but having a cigar box full of DE blades (100's of the buggers), should I buy one of the Fatip's?
Been asking myself that question on and off for a while. Got Connaught's page open right now and my finger on the trigger - but, which one? Open or Closed?

I've not really enjoyed most of the DE razors that I've tried and never got the hang of steep angle shaving either. It's a bit of a dilemma, that could easily be solved by not buying anything. But then, am I missing out on the Holy Grail of shaving?

Question for you Jim.

Knowing that I like shaving with Schicks and other SE razors (Ever Ready and Gems). Dislike aggressive DE razors or steep angle shaving, and was scared stiff of the Fatip Grande I once had.

Am I wasting my time buying one?
If not, which one should I consider?

I assume the Gentile (closed comb) is the least aggressive?

More than one question I know, sorry about that. :)

To be quite honest, I don't need another razor. After trying to give away the DE blades I have, there still seems to be years and years worth in the box. So, I keep thinking that maybe I should find something to use them up with. Something thats inexpensive - at least for experimenting purposes.
I have tried using them in shavettes, but they have never really impressed me that much.

I still shave with straights, although pretty much only use my two Tanifuji's. When they need refreshed and can't be bothered to get my stones out, I'll shave for a while with my Schicks or Ever Ready or Feather SS and Proline.

My closest shaves by far are with the SS/Proline, closely followed by Tanifuji's and then the Schicks.
You just can't beat a Proline with a couple of shaves under it's belt.

Hi, Doug. It's been a while.

I was pretty blown away by the Fatip Open Comb Slant.

The closed comb version seemed okay to me but I used it very little as it is in my view of it only nearly as good as the OC version. It's been a longish time now since I used the CC Fatip slant and I'm not 100% I'm remembering exactly what I liked better about the OC compared to the CC, but maybe the OC is a bit more efficient and also more smooth feeling on my skin. The OC is, for me, extremely easy to use. It just has a great balance of qualities. It also has near zero gap. I seem to prefer tiny gaps.

Largely because of a few months with the FOCS I've tried some other DE razors recently. Some are good, and perhaps some are more efficient than the FOCS (not by a lot, but more efficient), and some are smooth especially once learned. None have the great blend of qualities the FOCS has.

To me an aggressive razor means a razor prone to biting. The FOCS is not aggressive. It's comfortable, easy to use, and efficient.

Is it perfect? No. The perfect razor would have all the qualities mentioned and also be able to easily and consistently smooth my soul patch (central bottom lip) which no razor so far does terribly well.

I am not necessarily shooting for a BBS. Just a really good, close enough, and comfortable shave.

Rave @Raven Koenes has used the FOCS a good little bit and has used the CC slant a lot more than I have. I'd attend to his comments should he offer anything here which I hope he does. I'm certainly not very informed about the CC slant (mine went on an extended road trip).

$Steep Angle.jpg
All that said, you know I shave steep.​

You probably know I love the injectors, but I've not used 'em in long time (not much at all). When the FOCS was a rumor and unobtanium I knew I'd shave with it when I had one in my hand. I thought I'd use it a little and return to the straight razors. Wrong! Here I am in DE land. I am trying some other DE razors, but everything revolves around the FOCS.

Doug, it's not like it's an expensive razor. I'd definitely get the OC instead of the CC if I were buying only one, but it's permitted to buy both (well, maybe not if you ask my wife).

Oh, I had to buy more razor blades. I only had about 360 or so Polsilvers (and tons of others I don't use). Wizamet SI blades = Polsilver SI blades (as in exactly the same blade according to me). I only use these two DE blades.

I know zip about using it shallow.

If I've neglected anything let me know please.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Thanks for the information and tips.

I have a Fatboy, too, and a gold Fatboy someone gave me (what are they called, the Executive?) and a Black Beauty (Super Adjustable 84 or one of the other variants?). Guess over time I'll try them all.

To me the Fatboy is a whole lot better looking + it has a fat handle. Folks say the balance is better than the Slim. Folks say all sorts of things.

I'm watching college football and marveling at today's shave (and the vanilla). Between plays I'm reading up on the Gillette adjustables. According to some, the adjustment changes the gap. Others, blade exposure. Me, no idea, only questions.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I have never been too interested in adjustable razors. My thoughts are that adjustable razors by nature are a compromise. By that I mean it does everything well, but nothing exceptional. A purpose built razor may only suit a narrow range of shavers, but it will provide them with an exceptional shave.

I still feel that way, but now I can see that there is a narrow range where an adjustable can be exceptional.
There is still an empty spot on my shelf for a gold Gillette TTO, a Fatboy just might be on my watch list....

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Look at it end on and play with the adjuster, Jim. As the numbers go up the gap AND the blade exposure increases. (I don't have one but I've seen plenty photos.)
My Slim only increases the gap as the numbers go up. I don't have a Fatboy to compare.

64 Slim J3 70.5g

#1=.014" #2=.020" #3=.024 #4=.026"
#5=.030 #6=.034" #7=.038" #8=.040" #9=.042"

Hi, Doug. It's been a while.

I was pretty blown away by the Fatip Open Comb Slant.

The closed comb version seemed okay to me but I used it very little as it is in my view of it only nearly as good as the OC version. It's been a longish time now since I used the CC Fatip slant and I'm not 100% I'm remembering exactly what I liked better about the OC compared to the CC, but maybe the OC is a bit more efficient and also more smooth feeling on my skin. The OC is, for me, extremely easy to use. It just has a great balance of qualities. It also has near zero gap. I seem to prefer tiny gaps.

Largely because of a few months with the FOCS I've tried some other DE razors recently. Some are good, and perhaps some are more efficient than the FOCS (not by a lot, but more efficient), and some are smooth especially once learned. None have the great blend of qualities the FOCS has.

To me an aggressive razor means a razor prone to biting. The FOCS is not aggressive. It's comfortable, easy to use, and efficient.

Is it perfect? No. The perfect razor would have all the qualities mentioned and also be able to easily and consistently smooth my soul patch (central bottom lip) which no razor so far does terribly well.

I am not necessarily shooting for a BBS. Just a really good, close enough, and comfortable shave.

Rave @Raven Koenes has used the FOCS a good little bit and has used the CC slant a lot more than I have. I'd attend to his comments should he offer anything here which I hope he does. I'm certainly not very informed about the CC slant (mine went on an extended road trip).

All that said, you know I shave steep.​

You probably know I love the injectors, but I've not used 'em in long time (not much at all). When the FOCS was a rumor and unobtanium I knew I'd shave with it when I had one in my hand. I thought I'd use it a little and return to the straight razors. Wrong! Here I am in DE land. I am trying some other DE razors, but everything revolves around the FOCS.

Doug, it's not like it's an expensive razor. I'd definitely get the OC instead of the CC if I were buying only one, but it's permitted to buy both (well, maybe not if you ask my wife).

Oh, I had to buy more razor blades. I only had about 360 or so Polsilvers (and tons of others I don't use). Wizamet SI blades = Polsilver SI blades (as in exactly the same blade according to me). I only use these two DE blades.

I know zip about using it shallow.

If I've neglected anything let me know please.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions Jim, very helpful.

I need to order a couple of things from Connaught soon. Ran out of one of my favourite soaps and need to get some more Prolines.
I'll probably order up the OC version of the Slant at the same time, and give it a shot.

Almost bought a Hoffritz Slant a few years ago. Have to satisfy my curiosity about this type of razor.

Thanks again.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions Jim, very helpful.

I need to order a couple of things from Connaught soon. Ran out of one of my favourite soaps and need to get some more Prolines.
I'll probably order up the OC version of the Slant at the same time, and give it a shot.

Almost bought a Hoffritz Slant a few years ago. Have to satisfy my curiosity about this type of razor.

Thanks again.

You're welcome, my friend.

I'll be interested in how you like the FOCS, Doug.

What soap do you buy from Connaught? The last I bought there was a kilo of Vitos Red. I'm only about a quarter into that brick.

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have never been too interested in adjustable razors. My thoughts are that adjustable razors by nature are a compromise. By that I mean it does everything well, but nothing exceptional. A purpose built razor may only suit a narrow range of shavers, but it will provide them with an exceptional shave.

I still feel that way, but now I can see that there is a narrow range where an adjustable can be exceptional.
There is still an empty spot on my shelf for a gold Gillette TTO, a Fatboy just might be on my watch list....

I agree. I explained why I'm using the Slim. Still, it surprised me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Are you saying it doesn't increase the blade exposure too, Doug? :001_unsur
I stand corrected. After reviewing a drawing I could see that I was confusing blade exposure with cap span. From Adjustable Razor Blade Gaps – Gillette Adjustable Razors - https://gilletteadjustable.com/misc-2/adjustable-razor-blade-gaps/

*Standard Slims are built using the same physical parts as the Aristocrat Slim – only the plating metal (nickel or gold) is different.

“Blade Gap” is the dimension in red on this Gillette diagram.

See how “Blade Gap” changes based on Adjustment Dial position. A higher dial setting equals more Blade Gap equals greater blade Exposure equals closer shave.

GilletteGapLineDrawing.jpg

Top Bottom