What's new

Watch Ya Wearing

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Teach me Obi-Wan, as my auto bug is growing and I don't have cheap taste.
Patience. It helps to be in your seventies, when having experiences becomes more valuable than acquiring costly stuff. Moreover, quartz has become far more horologically acceptable than it was, say, 20 years ago when I was actively collecting (mostly gold) mechanical watches.

That said, enjoy the "auto bug." The aesthetics, engineering and craftsmanship are marvellous. Do consider the cost of maintaining your collection, though. Really good watchmakers are few and far between, and the cost factory service is often extortionate.

Oh, and one more thing. Having good taste (and the means to indulge it) is a definite asset in collecting. Check out the auction houses. Cheap watches rarely appreciate. My net cost of ownership of two Rolexes over the years was less than zero.

Patience. It helps to be in your seventies, when having experiences becomes more valuable than acquiring costly stuff. Moreover, quartz has become far more horologically acceptable than it was, say, 20 years ago when I was actively collecting (mostly gold) mechanical watches.

That said, enjoy the "auto bug." The aesthetics, engineering and craftsmanship are marvellous. Do consider the cost of maintaining your collection, though. Really good watchmakers are few and far between, and the cost factory service is often extortionate.

Oh, and one more thing. Having good taste (and the means to indulge it) is a definite asset in collecting. Check out the auction houses. Cheap watches rarely appreciate. My net cost of ownership of two Rolexes over the years was less than zero.
I appreciate you taking the time. I'm 43, and have quite a big collection of high end watches....rolexes, IWC, Omega, Zenith, etc. I'll take your perspective into account!

Jason

My trusty Citizen Eco-Drive Promaster. I wear it more than my Omega Seamaster. Great watch for under $200.

B13FD43A-5540-461C-83D0-6AE9A1BB1000.jpeg

What a beautiful watch. I just looked it up on Google... it's worth $17k? Wow

No even close my friend, it’s a Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur, saw one when we were in Georgetown last year and just loved the look and history behind the maker but it was a blue dial and the pricing was a tad high so I started looking when we came back to the states and found the white dialed one and liked it even more.

Top Bottom