What's new

What’s with Creed Aventus?

I remember the week this fragrance came out, back in 2010. Seven days of guys across various fragrance forums complaining it smelled like Creed's "designer sellout frag." Everyone claimed it smelled like something you'd typically buy at Macy's, only done with top quality materials. Tons of Aventus bashing.

Then, idk, maybe a year later, suddenly the direction of public sentiment shifted to "Aventus is God." In the subsequent nine or so years the adulation has rarely ebbed, although I'm noticing recently some complaints about it being reformulated down from its past glory, into something not quite as captivating.

It's definitely an interesting fragrance. The dozens of clones it has inspired, the fanclubs, the arguments about gravity's effect on women's underwear (and whether Aventus factors into gravitational equations), and the fact that it's the first Creed to get major flankers, all have fascinated me. Yet for some reason I've never wanted a bottle. My impression of the fragrance has always been that it smells like a simplified Spice & Wood on top, and dries down to the smell of paper money. Ok, but not really a must-have for me.

I remember the week this fragrance came out, back in 2010. Seven days of guys across various fragrance forums complaining it smelled like Creed's "designer sellout frag." Everyone claimed it smelled like something you'd typically buy at Macy's, only done with top quality materials. Tons of Aventus bashing.

Then, idk, maybe a year later, suddenly the direction of public sentiment shifted to "Aventus is God." In the subsequent nine or so years the adulation has rarely ebbed, although I'm noticing recently some complaints about it being reformulated down from its past glory, into something not quite as captivating.

It's definitely an interesting fragrance. The dozens of clones it has inspired, the fanclubs, the arguments about gravity's effect on women's underwear (and whether Aventus factors into gravitational equations), and the fact that it's the first Creed to get major flankers, all have fascinated me. Yet for some reason I've never wanted a bottle. My impression of the fragrance has always been that it smells like a simplified Spice & Wood on top, and dries down to the smell of paper money. Ok, but not really a must-have for me.

The reformulation thing is interesting to me. Why would you buy a fragrance with so much variation from batch to batch? That's one of the things that makes it interesting in the shaving world, though. Because there's so much variation, the "clones" are going to vary from each other depending on which batch they were based one, making them all more homages than clones.

The reformulation thing is interesting to me. Why would you buy a fragrance with so much variation from batch to batch? That's one of the things that makes it interesting in the shaving world, though. Because there's so much variation, the "clones" are going to vary from each other depending on which batch they were based one, making them all more homages than clones.

I'm actually pro-batch variation. I find them charming. I know many are irritated by them, but with Creed I think it's a positive thing. It shows the perfumes are made with a significantly higher degree of volatile naturals than your average niche/designer (I consider Creed designer, although "legacy" designer). It also gives you a fragrance that nobody else really has, despite the labels and bottles being the same. I also get why clones of Aventus are made, but it seems like the cottage industry of cloning Aventus has gone over the deep end. Whole companies have been formed just to copy Aventus.

"Overhyped" is in the nose of the beholder.

For me personally, there's a note in the Aventus opening that puts me off a bit.
My uneducated guess would be a combination of "blackcuurant leaves", "jasmine" and "vanilla".

tbh i think its a lot of hype, i used it and smelt the real thing ages ago, not all that imo

if youre in the uk look for 'inspired by' products its basically a copy cat knock off of the original

i got these two, one is suppose to be creed aventus (110) and jean paul gualtier le male (472),
both smell nice but i prefer the jean paul gaultier le male which imo is better

image_85292.jpg

image_85291.jpg

i remember when there was a buzz about paco robanne millions,
i actually rate that better then aventus creed

interesting this is these inspired by copies of the creed aventus is only like £15-17 off the top of my head but the paco robanne millions is like £24, i know someone who sells them and she said the ingredients for the paco robanne millions
costs more then the creed aventus ones...

also you might want to check out 'attar' in a nutshell its like an oil based fragrance which muslims mainly use,
they do traditional fragrances as well as designer fragrances too, ive got the aventus creed version of the attar,
thing i love about attars is that they are small, last long and very convenient and cheap,
so you can keep one in your jacket pocket, another in the car etc etc

like anything with attars the more you pay the better quality youll get tbh

heres some pics of attars to give you an idea, if you dont already know what they look like :)

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

p.s if you want attars check out your local indian grocery shops not all but some sell them
and check out your local islamic shops but you'll probably pay more,
you could always try online like ebay/amazon plenty of sellers

Okay, so I hear everyone talking about this scent like it’s the gold standard. There are also a lot of shaving soap dupes that mimic it. What is so special about it?!
It’s never really gravitated towards me. Actually it’s not even in my top five when it comes to creed fragrances for men. I’m not saying it’s bad it’s just not something I would wear. I think green Irish Tweed and Bois Du Portugal are more suited to my taste. Creeds Wood and Spice is very good but lacks punch is you want good cloud.

Last edited:
It is the real deal. There is no replacement for the EDP. Now I do use and love Stirling Executive Man aftershave (With menthol!) I have also tried TOBS royal forrest but prefer Stirling. That said I bought GIT for my son and think I like that better!

According to the marketing mythology, this magical scent will make you fell rich, confident and powerful. Other men will respect you. Women will fall at your feet.

The original cologne is a niche brand that costs in the hundreds of dollars, so it has been cloned to death.
As stated above-it's all true!

borderline douche frag. No disrespect, it's just how my nose interprets it. reminds me of what someone would put on after a session at the gym to cover up the smell of sweat. Worth the cost? Definitely not.

borderline douche frag. No disrespect, it's just how my nose interprets it. reminds me of what someone would put on after a session at the gym to cover up the smell of sweat. Worth the cost? Definitely not.
Ew! Nope. I’ve smelled enough Axe body spray in college. Will avoid!

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I payed a huge amount for Tom Ford “F*@k off”. Not worth half the price. Never tried Creed Adventus. I will give it a squirt when I am next in the city. I need all the help I can get nowadays. I alway wanted to create a scent and call it “Obnoxious”.

I payed a huge amount for Tom Ford “F*@k off”. Not worth half the price. Never tried Creed Adventus. I will give it a squirt when I am next in the city. I need all the help I can get nowadays. I alway wanted to create a scent and call it “Obnoxious”.
I sampled several TF fragrances and didn't like most of them. Oud Wood is pretty nice but I can't justify the TF prices for 50ml. I'd much rather use that kind of money for a legit perfume like something from Nicolaï Parfumeur.

Aventus is not a fav of mine, for me. I like the cologne on my wife, but I am not sure I would have paid what she paid for it.

I am not sure where the hype comes from. Certainly other recent Creed efforts have not been big hits. Viking, for instance. If Creed could have engineered hype I would have thought it would have for other of their scents, too. I think it is more that this fragrance truly appeals to a whole lot of people, many of them willing to pay what it costs. I think I personally have to give Creed props for that.

It has been cloned to death. I cannot tell whether it has been worn so frequently that I would myself hesitate to wear it as just too common and/or dated. I think I pretty much got that way with GIT.

My own personal view is that Creed is overpriced and over-hyped, and that most of their line is pretty good, but not so impressive. Whereas certain of their individual frags are absolute home runs with me. Of course, Creed has a tendency to discontinue the ones I think are genius! But I really cannot knock Aventus. People from across a wide cross section of the population love this scent.

It's become like that overplayed song on classic rock radio stations: "Oh no, not this again!" The Stairway to Heaven or Hotel California of fragrance.

Top Bottom