What's new

Reloading questions...

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Lee is actually pretty decent. I have had Lee, RCBS and Dillon. Still use Lee does in my dillon. If you are starting out you can get a Lee setup to learn on and won’t regret it. The only two items I will say that Lee falls very short on is a good powder measure and beam scale. The Dillon beam scale is an exceptional value over the RCBS both made in the same factory receiving different colors of paint and about $40 difference in price. As for a powder measure I have a good RCBS model and love it. Even if you do end up upgrading presses after some time, an extra Lee press will surprise you how much of a welcomed price of equipment it would be on your bench.

if you have grand plans of going progressive right out of the gate, you might still like to have an extra single stage press around to use for load development as well.

my RCBS rockchucker lives in my garage with a universal decapping die from Lee living in it. Occasionally i through primer pocket swaging setup on it. Otherwise I’m Dillon progressive full time. For what I’m using the RCBS for, a lee would do the job just as well or without enough of a difference to justify the higher end press.

Lee isn’t garbage, is it value, yes. I loaded close to 20k assorted pistol and rifle rounds on a Lee single stage press with only one failure around 16k rounds into it. I ha: to order one part and was back in business for $7.
The beam scale will likely be an unused item. I will probably go digital. I like how beefy the RCBS is built, and would eventually end up there anyway. So, may as well just get it out of the way.

It's hard to beat a Rock Chucker! Yes, it doesn't have all the latest features, but I'm keeping mine until the end of my days.

Did we drag you down the wet tumbling rabbit hole yet? That's the one thing Frankford Arsenal makes that I've tried that seems very well done. I was previously running a home built one. Coming up with a reliably sealed drum was the issue there. If you like working with new looking brass with clean primer pockets it's worth a look.

I deprime, often by hand with a punch and mallet, then the wet tumble with stainless pins, Dawn and Lemishine. From there they go to a food dehydrator I got at Menard's for $50 - it looks just like the dryer Hornady sells but the top/blower is white instead of red. After that it goes in the enormous harbor freight dry tumbler with corn cob media and a bit of liquid car wax, which puts a light coat of wax on the brass that prevents tarnishing and let's pistol brass slide through the dies very smooth. Still hit or miss on case lube or just using mica with bottle necked cases.

All in all it takes me most of the day but I view reloading as a hobby to itself rather than just a means to an end so it doesn't bother me other than when it's the bottleneck in my process. Usually casting is the bottleneck.

Anybody near Toledo, you can get 50lb bags of untreated corn cob media for under $20 last time I got one, shouldn't have gone up much.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Did we drag you down the wet tumbling rabbit hole yet? That's the one thing Frankford Arsenal makes that I've tried that seems very well done. I was previously running a home built one. Coming up with a reliably sealed drum was the issue there. If you like working with new looking brass with clean primer pockets it's worth a look.

I deprime, often by hand with a punch and mallet, then the wet tumble with stainless pins, Dawn and Lemishine. From there they go to a food dehydrator I got at Menard's for $50 - it looks just like the dryer Hornady sells but the top/blower is white instead of red. After that it goes in the enormous harbor freight dry tumbler with corn cob media and a bit of liquid car wax, which puts a light coat of wax on the brass that prevents tarnishing and let's pistol brass slide through the dies very smooth. Still hit or miss on case lube or just using mica with bottle necked cases.

All in all it takes me most of the day but I view reloading as a hobby to itself rather than just a means to an end so it doesn't bother me other than when it's the bottleneck in my process. Usually casting is the bottleneck.

Anybody near Toledo, you can get 50lb bags of untreated corn cob media for under $20 last time I got one, shouldn't have gone up much.

Great post. Casting, too, is a hobby in itself.

AA

Don't let anyone make you feel like you are wasting your money by going with RCBS.
My intent wasn’t to steer anyone away from quality RCBS products. It’s my only single stage press as my Lee was sold of many moons ago. I was simply trying to keep a broader range of options up for consideration for someone who is new. I do enthusiastically recommend RCBS if someone can start off there, but for those who can’t I think it’s helpful to know what Lee products are worth their money and what they should upgrade on right from the start.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My intent wasn’t to steer anyone away from quality RCBS products. It’s my only single stage press as my Lee was sold of many moons ago. I was simply trying to keep a broader range of options up for consideration for someone who is new. I do enthusiastically recommend RCBS if someone can start off there, but for those who can’t I think it’s helpful to know what Lee products are worth their money and what they should upgrade on right from the start.
One of my guys is a reloader, so I’ve been talking to him. He basically said Lee is good (that’s what he has), that maybe I should start there. As we were talking RCBS came up and I started digging. Since I likely make $20k more a year than he (I’ve been at this a while) and don’t have a mortgage anymore, I figured “what the hell?” :)

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
The beam scale will likely be an unused item. I will probably go digital. I like how beefy the RCBS is built, and would eventually end up there anyway. So, may as well just get it out of the way.
I don't know what you are loading so this may not matter but in the world of digital scales the are two main ways or measuring. Load cell and magnetic force restoration. You will find load cell tech in most of the commercial / reloading stuff. Force restoration is more common in the lab grade scales. If you are shooting pistol (nothing against pistols BTW :lol:) load cell is fine but drift is an issue and they are slow to stabilize so you can over shoot thinking they are stable. Getting into precision rifle? Force restoration is your friend and accurate down to .02grs or one kernel of powder. Not saying you should grab an A&D fx120i ($$$) or a Sartorius Entris 64 ($$$$) but it is a consideration. Knowing what I know now I would have put the money I spend on my RCBS Chargemaster Lite into a set of a powder dippers, an A&D fx120i, and a Dandy trickler (about double the cost ) or the real deal, a AutoTrickler V3 (about triple the cost). Fast as all get out and accurate to the said .02gr. I think my ES and SD would thank me!

One of my guys is a reloader, so I’ve been talking to him. He basically said Lee is good (that’s what he has), that maybe I should start there. As we were talking RCBS came up and I started digging. Since I likely make $20k more a year than he (I’ve been at this a while) and don’t have a mortgage anymore, I figured “what the hell?” :)
Perfect, you aren’t on a tight budget. Being able to enter with RCBS you’ll end up with some super solid gear. Redding is a little pricier but most regard it even better than RCBS. So as you are looking to gear up, you might want to compare between the two brands.

If you end up advancing to progressive loading, there are a few options, but I whole heartedly recommend Dillon. The hornady lock and load has a strong following but I also here a good bit of mixed reviews. It looks to be very versatile from where I’m standing and I think some of the issues people have are likely due to their shortcomings in not being mechanically inclined.Dillon 550 progressive is great for me, but some want more and faster so they look at the other machines. Once you get your head around the process give progressives some consideration and you will enjoy the process of rolling your own even more.

While I don't disagree with your synopsis on Lee equipment (owning some myself), and was not "calling you out", it seems anytime RCBS or Redding or Lyman is mentioned, Lee fans (again not you in particular) come out of the woodwork and in a backhanded fashion try to make people who want something maybe a little better feel like they are throwing their money out the window.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I don't know what you are loading so this may not matter but in the world of digital scales the are two main ways or measuring. Load cell and magnetic force restoration. You will find load cell tech in most of the commercial / reloading stuff. Force restoration is more common in the lab grade scales. If you are shooting pistol (nothing against pistols BTW :lol:) load cell is fine but drift is an issue and they are slow to stabilize so you can over shoot thinking they are stable. Getting into precision rifle? Force restoration is your friend and accurate down to .02grs or one kernel of powder. Not saying you should grab an A&D fx120i ($$$) or a Sartorius Entris 64 ($$$$) but it is a consideration. Knowing what I know now I would have put the money I spend on my RCBS Chargemaster Lite into a set of a powder dippers, an A&D fx120i, and a Dandy trickler (about double the cost ) or the real deal, a AutoTrickler V3 (about triple the cost). Fast as all get out and accurate to the said .02gr. I think my ES and SD would thank me!
It will be pistol- .38 and .357 magnum. I have settled on a S&W Airweight for the pocket, and a S&W 686 for a road trip gun, and perhaps days when I am wearing looser stuff. I will only be loading practice rounds, and probably most through the 686 will be .38, maybe 15-20% .357 just to remind me of the kick. :)

Perfect, you aren’t on a tight budget. Being able to enter with RCBS you’ll end up with some super solid gear. Redding is a little pricier but most regard it even better than RCBS. So as you are looking to gear up, you might want to compare between the two brands.

If you end up advancing to progressive loading, there are a few options, but I whole heartedly recommend Dillon. The hornady lock and load has a strong following but I also here a good bit of mixed reviews. It looks to be very versatile from where I’m standing and I think some of the issues people have are likely due to their shortcomings in not being mechanically inclined.Dillon 550 progressive is great for me, but some want more and faster so they look at the other machines. Once you get your head around the process give progressives some consideration and you will enjoy the process of rolling your own even more.
Thanks for the info. I will check them out. I am riding a balance between quality and what I can get past the wife. :)

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game

Since you are "not" on a budget and focusing on pistol I would give Rusty's comments about the 550 some great weight. I'm sure someone will disagree with this opinion but I started my reloading journey on a Dillon 550B that I inherited from my father. Saying it was easy is not entirely true but it wasn't hard and I have obviously not blown my face off :lol: Honestly, all the gear mentioned is good stuff but the Dillion will offer speed later (or right out of the gate. Just pay attention to your process. I still get paranoid loading and paranoia will keep you alive) and "why buy twice"? Plus, if you hate reloading someone somewhere will give you near what you paid for it if not face value just to avoid the wait. Just my $.02 when it comes to pistol reloading.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Since you are "not" on a budget and focusing on pistol I would give Rusty's comments about the 550 some great weight. I'm sure someone will disagree with this opinion but I started my reloading journey on a Dillon 550B that I inherited from my father. Saying it was easy is not entirely true but it wasn't hard and I have obviously not blown my face off :lol: Honestly, all the gear mentioned is good stuff but the Dillion will offer speed later (or right out of the gate. Just pay attention to your process. I still get paranoid loading and paranoia will keep you alive) and "why buy twice"? Plus, if you hate reloading someone somewhere will give you near what you paid for it if not face value just to avoid the wait. Just my $.02 when it comes to pistol reloading.
I run two 550's and could not be happier with them. Had a Lee Classic Turret, but it is awkwardly slow....
Considering upgrading to a 750, and the only reason would be the 5th stage, so I will be able to run a powder check.
Load a lot of long cases (357, 38spl) and the fill amount of the powder is not easily visible without craning your neck.
I do not see a need for me using a case feeder. The amount I shoot is for me to make without case/bullet feeder.
Problem seems that these presses now have a long delivery time....

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
SWMBO will (eventually) get over what you spend. You won't get over buying cheap equipment that you may want to replace later, until you do replace it. Buy the best quality that you can afford. If there is a chance that you may eventually want a progressive but don't think that you are ready for one now, there is the option of getting the 550 "basic" from Dillon, a stripped down version of the 550 without the powder charger and priming accessories that is used basically as a single stage or a turret press. You can add those options later as you and your wallet see fit. If I had more room on my crowded reloading bench, I'd buy one of the 550 basics since I have multiple tool heads and rarely prime cases on the 550. There is also an aftermarket kit that converts a progressive to a single stage for operations such as case forming that normally requires a traditional single stage press. This would probably only make financial sense if you didn't have space for a separate single stage.

I am a happy Dillon 550 user now for over 20 years. You can run it like a turret to start, one case at a time. If you shoot a lot, you are going to want a progressive. There is also a third party conversion kit available to make it into a single stage press. In my shop I have a Rock Chucker for rifle cartridges and the 550 for handgun cartridges. I also load. 223 & 300BO range ammo on the 550. I have a LED light on the press to aid in checking the powder level at station 3.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
SWMBO will (eventually) get over what you spend. You won't get over buying cheap equipment that you may want to replace later, until you do replace it. Buy the best quality that you can afford. If there is a chance that you may eventually want a progressive but don't think that you are ready for one now, there is the option of getting the 550 "basic" from Dillon, a stripped down version of the 550 without the powder charger and priming accessories that is used basically as a single stage or a turret press. You can add those options later as you and your wallet see fit. If I had more room on my crowded reloading bench, I'd buy one of the 550 basics since I have multiple tool heads and rarely prime cases on the 550. There is also an aftermarket kit that converts a progressive to a single stage for operations such as case forming that normally requires a traditional single stage press. This would probably only make financial sense if you didn't have space for a separate single stage.
I am a happy Dillon 550 user now for over 20 years. You can run it like a turret to start, one case at a time. If you shoot a lot, you are going to want a progressive. There is also a third party conversion kit available to make it into a single stage press. In my shop I have a Rock Chucker for rifle cartridges and the 550 for handgun cartridges. I also load. 223 & 300BO range ammo on the 550. I have a LED light on the press to aid in checking the powder level at station 3.
What a bunch of enablers. :) Just watched a 30 minute video on the 550- looks great. It is on back order through Dillon, but I am still about 6 months down the road anyways.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I am now leaning that direction. When you really think about the time savings (as I’ve gotten older I realize that my time is money), the 550C is almost economical.

Top Bottom