What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: Schick Pre-Krona DE (1966)
Blade: Kai Stainless Steel (4)
Brush: Yaqi - Barber Pole 30mm
Pre-Shave: Face Scrub, Thayers, Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Tabac Original
Aftershave: PAA - Malbolge

BA718152-3E96-4921-9738-1D206AD30741.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.7/10 (perfect except I cut my lip at the end)
I gather it’s all about the lather!
I got the Tabac dialed in perfectly this morning...perfectly!
I have so many soaps in my rotation that it might be six months until I return to any particular one. This does not help me to get dialled in to any particular soap, or I forget it’s particular needs. I know Tabac is a good soap, but I have never gotten it down pat. I’ve been trying a YouTube technique someone linked to, and basically, I’ve been building my soap and adding water too fast. I’ve slowed down and taken my time and have been getting beautiful, creamy, bubble free lather. Today’s was The best I’ve ever gotten with my Tabac.
CD4BFA1B-6439-42B9-BCA6-077EBAF351BF.jpeg

Between my 30mm brush and a super load of lather, I almost suffocated myself.

The Schick Krona is one of those sleeper razors that compete with any Superspeed. I usually toss my DE blades after three shaves, but I decided to keep going with the Kai. Easy straight forward BBS.
PAA Malbolge AS/Cologne partners up nicely with the Tabac.

I have a couple French soaps that I’ve had terrible luck lathering. I’m hoping my new technique will unlock their secret.

...be safe...be smooth

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Thur, Nov19th,2020

Razor: Valet Auto-strop C1, Canadian variat- MFG 1920's, Modified gap from .011 to .007" Excellent razor with this alteration.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE modified (1) Excellent blade for this oldie Goldie Valet Auto-strop.
Soap: Tabac- mild flowery scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Razorock Noir 400 plissoft with black whiskers- this brush lathers similar to my boar brush with a good scrub and soft tips.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on my cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock XXX with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with my Valet Auto-strop C1 Canadian variant.

SE SOTD, Thur, Nov19th, 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Soap: Stirling Christmas Eve
Razor: Gillette Old Type
Blade: 7 O'clock SS (3)
Aftershave: Pinaud VIBR
Balm: Nivea sensitive

4th shave with this soap. It really does perform better than my other tub of Stirling, which is fine. The other one works great as well. Does anybody know if they changed their base at all recently?
It really hit me that this soap will be put away once the holidays are over. It's a lovely scent but certainly can't use it all year round.

Can usually take this blade a week in other razors, but I may cut it off at 3 with the Old Type. Gotta tame the beast.

10/10
Feel great smell great. No blood.

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser
- Clinique for Men Exfoliating Tonic
- King of Shaves Advanced Shave Oil
- D.R. Harris Windsor cream (sample)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Nivea for Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm
- Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Edwin Jagger DE86 BIC Chrome Platinum
- BIC Chrome Platinum (5)
- Antica Barberia Mondial Boar

Shave Rating: 9/10
Fifth shave with this sample and another pleasant shave. I probably have one shave (maybe 2) left with this sample but I'm leaning towards not purchasing a full size tube of it. I've had good shaves from it, but I'll probably invest in D.R. Harris soaps instead of creams and not in the Windsor scent (although having just stocked up on four pucks of Fine Accoutrements now that they are out of production, the D.R. Harris soaps will have to wait a bit longer!)
Overall an irritation free shave with no feedback from the Alum block, the BIC blade is still feeling both sharp and smooth after 5 shaves.

Razor: Schick Pre-Krona DE (1966)
Blade: Kai Stainless Steel (4)
Brush: Yaqi - Barber Pole 30mm
Pre-Shave: Face Scrub, Thayers, Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Tabac Original
Aftershave: PAA - Malbolge

View attachment 1184281
Shave Rating: 9.7/10 (perfect except I cut my lip at the end)
I gather it’s all about the lather!
I got the Tabac dialed in perfectly this morning...perfectly!
I have so many soaps in my rotation that it might be six months until I return to any particular one. This does not help me to get dialled in to any particular soap, or I forget it’s particular needs. I know Tabac is a good soap, but I have never gotten it down pat. I’ve been trying a YouTube technique someone linked to, and basically, I’ve been building my soap and adding water too fast. I’ve slowed down and taken my time and have been getting beautiful, creamy, bubble free lather. Today’s was The best I’ve ever gotten with my Tabac.
View attachment 1184297
Between my 30mm brush and a super load of lather, I almost suffocated myself.

The Schick Krona is one of those sleeper razors that compete with any Superspeed. I usually toss my DE blades after three shaves, but I decided to keep going with the Kai. Easy straight forward BBS.
PAA Malbolge AS/Cologne partners up nicely with the Tabac.

I have a couple French soaps that I’ve had terrible luck lathering. I’m hoping my new technique will unlock their secret.

...be safe...be smooth

Post a link to the video!

Second run with this configuration and it was another DFS. I had just a slight bit of irritation on my neck under my beard line but that was on me not my set up. This is a troubled area with strange growth patterns for me and I am trying to figure out the best way to shave there and get a close shave. I did have a couple very small weepers but those disappeared once I applied the Nivea balm.

8.5/10 DFS

2020-11-19.jpg

Pre-shave: Hot shower and Neutrogena face wash
Razor: Weishi Nostalgic Long Handle
Blade: Israeli Viking Sword (2)
Brush: Mr. Fine Synthetic
Soap: Stirling Executive Man
Balm: Nivea
Splash: Stirling Executive Man

Prep : Shower, pre shave oil
Blade : Supermax Platinum Plus
Razor : Pearl SS -09 Matt
Soap : Trigodon Wild Seas
Brush : Shaving Station synthetic
After shave : Nivea Sensitive balm

Shave went well but I could not get ATG under my jaw line/ neck as it almost every time leads to irritation.
It was a 2 pass (WTG, XTG) clean shave finished with Nivea balm.

Supermax Platinum Plus performed better than I expected.

Shave : 6/10
Post a link to the video!
Basicall, it’s just adding water slowly and gently stirring it into the soap before going at it with exuberance. It seems to build the lather from start to finish with no bubbles.

Razor: Schick Krona
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Brush: Ever Ready 100T with synthetic knot
Soap: Mike's Hungarian Lavender (shave stick)
Aftershave: Speick
Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post-Shave Balm
Rating: 9.7/10 - Wasn't as careful with a new GSB as I should have been. Balm was only necessary because my face was dry from the weather.

Pre Shave: Warm shower, Glycerin Face Wash, Crown Pre Shave Gel
Razor: Brass Karve SB C Plate
Blade: Personna Israeli Red
Brush: Zenith 506A Manchurian
Soap: Stirling Sheep
Post Shave: Alum Stick, Cold water rinse, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS
Rating: 9.50/10 Excellent two pass BBS shave, minimal buffing on chin. Two small weepers, minimal irritation on chin and jaw line and no cuts. Very efficient shave, Alum stick stopped weepers and irritation very minimal, assume due to having it the last two days.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Pre: hot water
Lather: TOBS sandalwood soap with Kent BK4...had to return to the bowl for each pass. For some inexplicable reason the lathering was anemic.
Shave: three passes plus touch up with a Feather (8) in an AS-D2
Shower
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer

A little extra work to get BBS but all in all quite comfy. 9.5/10

1605804870633.jpeg

Brush: Wild West Brushworks/ 26mm Declaration Grooming B9A
Soap: Declaration Grooming - Darkfall
Razor: Razorock GameChanger .68
Blade: Gillette Platinum Plus NOS

9/10: I don’t usually go for knots this large, but I found the backbone and shape of B9A to help keep things under control. Very strong performer paired with Milksteak today.

- Prep: Shower and Proraso White Preshave cream
- Brush: Semogue 1800 Boar
- Razor: 50’s SS Red Tip
- Blade: Viking’s Sword (2)
- Soap: Sterling Arkadia
- Aftershave: Sterling Arkadia
- Post Shave: Thayers Rose and Neutrogena Hydra Boost Balm

I had some lather problems today. It was too thick, then too thin, etc. Weird for me. My sample of Arkadia is almost toast, so that might have something to do with it.

The Viking’s Sword is a Personna Israeli blade but behaves more like a Dorco Prime or Astra. Good blade but not a great one. Matches well with the SS razor but not a very close shave.

8.5/10

It's a beautiful blade, no doubt.
Did you get it with those scales, or did you make them yourself?
Oh no - that is far beyond my abilities! These sell for ~$90 online with the G10 scales. If you search Buck 039 Salient, you will see several vendors. I got mine through Copper and Clad. Mine came truly shave ready but YMMV.

(There is also Ironwood version for $295 with a different steel. Apparently there was a carbon fiber limited edition also.)

N.O.vember 2020 #8
View attachment 1183421
Razor: Simplex Military
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
Brush: Wolf Whiskers Bishop (24mm synthetic)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Noble Otter Flying Hide (sample)
Post-shave care: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Epsilon Scottish Spirit
Fragrance: Original Penguin

Three passes + touch-up. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

The Simplex Military looks similar to the Wardonia Rugby, except that the Simplex takes standard DE blades without any modification.

In use, the Simplex is milder, but still effective. The shaving angle is similar to a Tech. Use the optimal shaving angle and get very nice results.

Nice shave! :cool:
I think you need a few more brushes, what is your favorite, badger, boar and synthetic?

Pre-shave: Hot shower, Proraso pre-shave Sensitive skin
Soap: MDC Fougere
Blade: Nacet
Razor: EJ 3one6
Brush: Simpson’s Trafalar T3 (1st use)
Post-shave: Proraso pre-shave Sensitive skin
Black Jack Cooling Gel
Art of Shaving Saddle-wood Balm
Pinaud Clubman After Shave (love the scent)

Was really impressed with the T3, lathered easily, splayed easily, plenty of soap for 4 passes. One of my favorite brushes already.

8.5/10 I was a little to aggressive in my hard to get areas

Since it is my day off thought I would show you my collection so far (shaving 3 months)
Check out the MDC jar , that is after 14 shaves hardly looks like I have used any

Just for fun thought I would throw in a picture of myself, Saturday will be my 64th Birthday 🎂

I have a Zenith Chubby Scrubby on the way, will be here Saturday
AA7D548B-BACF-44B4-9589-26FD9E0CFED0.jpeg
4ECF3138-DE89-4CC9-914C-CA085D25D9AE.jpeg
883BF470-4AFF-4A37-A172-E585764AF332.jpeg
AD8D7DFE-90B6-446C-8CBA-2E47AD69809F.jpeg

Top Bottom