What's new

Shave Roulette

Another splendid shave with the former combo:

Brush: Semogue Owners Club Boar
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Haverford
Razor: 40's style Gillette SS
Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum (4)

The BIC really is a sharp/smooth blade!

Ok Gentlemen, a little earlier than advertised by popular demand, your new numbers are:

PXL_20201118_172358800.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg

Good luck and see you same time tomorrow!

PXL_20201118_172042107.jpg

Prep: Hot shower and face wash with Pear’s soap
Pre: N/A
Brush: AP Shave Co Synbad 24mm Emerald Handle
Soap: Stirling Orange Chill
Razor:Rockwell 6s Plate 5
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1st use)
A/S: Proraso Green splash

I'm letting the wheel choose my baseplate and sod’s law means that it keeps giving me the more aggressive plates so I went for a gentle 2 passer today aiming for a SAS and nothing more.

Also again with the menthol! There is something perversely enjoyable about the icy blast on a cold day though so I don’t mind at all. Proraso Green and Old Spice are tied for my favourite splashes.

I can’t bond with the AP Shave Co Synbad though. If anyone within affordable shipping distance of the UK would be interested in a trade for a Yaqi or similar synthetic (especially a tuxedo), I’d be interested.

7/10

OK, I just have to post this little mathematical tidbit here.

My two favorite DEs are the Pils and the iKon S3S (they are both very similar razors). They are number 2 and number 3 on my clean-up razor list, which is the fourth number in the random number rolls.

I noticed that I have used all the DEs on the list except the Pils and the S3S, and it seemed like it was getting kinda crazy that neither the number 2 nor the number 3 has shown up in the fourth digit in a long, long time. So I went back through the thread to find out how long it had been. Are you ready?
24 consecutive spins!

So here's the math(s) part. The chances of any one spin having neither 2 nor 3 in the fourth spot is 80% (since 8 of the 10 available numbers are other than 2 or 3). The chance of two consecutive spins having neither 2 nor 3 is 0.8 X 0.8, or 64%. This type of multiplication continues to give the odds of having X number of consecutive spins without 2 or 3 showing up.

Here's the answer for 24 consecutive spins: 0.47%. In other words, there is only a 0.47% chance that neither 2 nor 3 would show up after 24 consecutive spins! So, about 5 in a thousand!

I guess that proves that the spins have truly been random. Anybody trying to imitate randomness would never let such an improbable thing happen!

So, tonight's shave, 9559, is the following:

R400 brush, Williams soap, Mythus straight razor, clean-up with the long-comb NEW. Should be a good one. I am almost out of my tweaked Williams soap, but it won't run out tonight, and I can make more.

OK, I just have to post this little mathematical tidbit here.

My two favorite DEs are the Pils and the iKon S3S (they are both very similar razors). They are number 2 and number 3 on my clean-up razor list, which is the fourth number in the random number rolls.

I noticed that I have used all the DEs on the list except the Pils and the S3S, and it seemed like it was getting kinda crazy that neither the number 2 nor the number 3 has shown up in the fourth digit in a long, long time. So I went back through the thread to find out how long it had been. Are you ready?
24 consecutive spins!

So here's the math(s) part. The chances of any one spin having neither 2 nor 3 in the fourth spot is 80% (since 8 of the 10 available numbers are other than 2 or 3). The chance of two consecutive spins having neither 2 nor 3 is 0.8 X 0.8, or 64%. This type of multiplication continues to give the odds of having X number of consecutive spins without 2 or 3 showing up.

Here's the answer for 24 consecutive spins: 0.47%. In other words, there is only a 0.47% chance that neither 2 nor 3 would show up after 24 consecutive spins! So, about 5 in a thousand!

I guess that proves that the spins have truly been random. Anybody trying to imitate randomness would never let such an improbable thing happen!

Cool info!

FYI though, my DnD dice aren't random, they alway try and land me in trouble!

Cool info!

FYI though, my DnD dice aren't random, they alway try and land me in trouble!
Ha!

We have all been using random.org to generate numbers for us, which reportedly actually produces "true randomness."

A math(s) professor once told me that he would ask his students to get out a piece of paper, flip a coin 100 times, and record "heads" or "tails" for each flip, 1-100. He said that he could always tell when a student didn't actually go through with the assignment, but chose instead to just write down "H" or "T" based on their own brain and trying to "make up" randomness. The difference, he argued, was that people trying to "invent randomness" almost never had runs of heads or tails longer than about 4 or 5 throws, but when people actually did the assignment, there was almost always an improbably long run of one of the other, and sometimes of both.

After two consecutive shaves with the sharp BIC now a shave with the Feather. Hm.

Thursday shave:
Brush: Razorock Big Bruce
Soap: Haslinger ~ Schafsmilch
Razor: Gillette New Long Comb
Blade: Feather (1)

Completed the 9559 shave. It was wonderful! The British made long comb New I put onto my UFO Titan Fine L handle. This is a very fine shaver. One of the best vintage razors I've ever tried.

Two passes plus a little jawline touch-up and i was right as rain.

Eben Stone

Staff member
XXXX => SV Manna di Sicilia, RR 400, Gillette New LC, Personna Med Prep

If my skin is healed from today's rusty blade shave then that should be a great shave tomorrow morning.

Wow. 3 of us use a Gillette New LC today. Now that is a coincidence...
Yeah, it is. Although the New is such a great razor, it is probably in the bets of most everybody! If you are reading this, and you don't have one, that is a situation you need to remedy as soon as possible.

Awesome! Wow so 5's and 9's were the most popular digits using random.org. I see nothing's changed.
I didn't know about this 5s and 9s conspiracy but I did say my dice always got me in trouble! I think as a species we find it irresistable to infer meaning from chance, maybe that's why gambling is so addictive!

Yeah, it is. Although the New is such a great razor, it is probably in the bets of most everybody! If you are reading this, and you don't have one, that is a situation you need to remedy as soon as possible.

Indeed. The New LC is a great razor. I barely noticed the blade feel of the Feather since it shaves oh so smooth.
20201118_194116-01.jpeg

Top Bottom