What's new

What Shaving Gear do you NOT have an Acquisition Disorder for?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Razors. The Feather AS-D2 as my second razor kind of stopped me from experimenting too much. I got a vintage Gillette SS for work and I asked for a vintage adjustable from Santa but I really don't see how a shave could be better than the Feather! I had sort of a blade disorder but that was just due to trying out a variety to see what worked best. But I'm good for a long time now and have no interest in the blades.

Everything else? My wife is completely tired of me talking about soaps, creams, aftershaves and especially brushes!
The AS -D2 is about the only modern that tempts me..
But you are cheap so would you really pay for it when you can get your Arko for $1
Ya got me! I'm not just CHEAP, I'm afraid of the "War Department!"

Razors: I’m over the hype. For a while I bought in and tried the hot razors but was nearly always underwhelmed. As I started to pay attention more I realized that people rave about the latest releases and how they are “keepers”, and yet they most often end up selling these keepers within weeks or months, going on to the next fad axe. Ultimately, I found a couple of razors that worked well for me and after that nothing I tried, no matter the price or hype, worked any better for me, so my days of constantly chasing a better razor are over.

Also the waitlists and waiting times from some makers have been ridiculous, which is off putting. It’s a razor, not a Stradivarius, hire some help and get on with production.

I also found the profiteering in the used market distasteful, putting the final nail in my razor buying coffin.

Brushes: I never developed a brush fetish. I only go for synthetic knots, so cheap, good brushes from RazoRock have suited me just fine.

There are obviously a whole bunch of super cool artisan handles out there that can be had with synthetic knots, but for me the extra couple of hundred bucks wouldn’t really improve my shaving experience. Also probably doesn’t help that I have the skills to make handles (or even razors for that matter) as good as any currently being made if I really wanted to, so there’s no artistic mystique to drive me to pay the premium. That said, I enjoy and respect the work of the craftsman who make really nice high end brushes, I just don’t have any real desire to collect them myself.

Soaps and creams: I think I’m coming to the end of the road with these too. Everybody and their granny seems to be making soap now, and their have been improvements, but I already have 10 years worth of soaps and creams piled up so....

I still have a few weaknesses: Blades, Balms, and handles primarily for the moment, so maybe it never completely ends.

I'd say probably aftershaves. I don't even use them that much. I usually use witch hazel. I have some Myrsol Emulsion for the days that I have a rough shave.

I’m a lost cause. I actually just deleted the bookmarks to shave related retailers. When I heard that dude’s wife almost left him over $1,000 of shave stuff, it made me feel kind of bad. I’ve probably purchased 10 times that over the years.

I dont' really suffer from and aquisition disorder, but there are products I have no interest in trying out many different things. I don't care for pre shave products since I dont use them. I am also perfectly happy with post shave routine of alum block, Nivea balm and Old spice lotion. Don't have much interest in brushes either, for last few years I used 1 no brand synthetic. On 11.11.2020 sale I got myself 3 yaqis (1 arrived today, 2 are on the way). Not because I need them but because I wanted a bit better synthetic brush. If they prove at least as useable as current one, then next brush purchase will be when those fail on me.

Razors are also of little interest, ocassionally I wil try something new just for the heck of it, but it never last long before I return back to Rockwell 6S

No AD for soaps or creams at the minute as have enough for a good few years......3 full tubs of MDC amongst others and weaning myself off creams.

Neither for brushes as have 3, 1 pure, 1 2 band and a synthetic.

Pretty sorted for razors - I have 5 although would like to try a Rockwell 6S.

Have maybe 200 blades so ok for a while.

So guess unless I see a Rockwell 6S for an unbelievable price I’m good..........for now, who knows what tomorrow brings 🤣🤣🤣

I’ve settled down in most areas as I’ve zeroed in on my favorite gear, but I especially avoid all badger brushes and strongly-scented soaps and aftershaves. I want one more plate for my Timeless, a few more blade brands to try, and I want to add a couple more SV soap and aftershave sets. I think there’s not much left for me now but to replenish the things I really like if I ever run out.

I don't have an AD--at this time. I have enough and blades and cream to take me into next year. My WCS 84S razor, and Omega 11126 brush are all I need at this time. HOWEVER, Santa Claus and / or the 'birthday bunny' (31 Dec) will deliver:

1 Wooden shaving bowl with a lid
1 Large bottle of Pinaud Clubman
1 Alum block
Another Tube of Proraso Green

Last edited:
I don't have an AD--at this time. I have enough and blades and cream to take me into next year. My WCS 84S razor, and Omega 11126 brush are all I need at this time. HOWEVER, Santa Claus and / or the 'birthday bunny' (31 Dec) will deliver:

1 Wooden shaving bowl with a lid
1 Large bottle of Pinaud Clubman
1 Alum block
Another Tube of Proraso Green

Ahhh yes. Christmas. I have asked Santa for a Simpsons M7, Chubby 2 or Duke 3.

A gift doesn’t count as a acquisition disorder, does it? 😜

I don’t have desire to buy a bunch of brushes. I have 3, 2 badger and 1 boar. I also don’t buy preshave items. I only have 3 aftershaves I like and stick with. No real urges to buy more.

I tend to buy too many razors, soaps/creams and blades.

For me, I have 5 razors of various brands, and 6 brushes of different types, but I feel satisfied with what I have and intention to buy more anytime soon. On the other hand, I always find myself itching to buy more razors, more soaps/creams, or to try another variety of aftershave from Pinaud.

I have too many razors, blades and soaps/ creams too. Enough for 2 lifetimes over - no really. But brushes.. nah, just 1 boar, 1 badger and that's it.

Brushes, thank The Maker. I've got acquisition disorder for blades and razors, that's enough.
edit: soap was getting out of hand but I think I stopped...

Top Bottom