What's new

So, do I just stop?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I recently fell back into shaving soaps. So many scents, so many top quality vendors. Based off the advice of the inestimable @Marco I sprang for some Cella Extra Extra Bio, and was blown away.

Since then I have bought some other soaps - CBL, Italian Barber, B&M, and M&M.

The only one I have really fallen in love with is B&M Cologne Russe. Couldn't stand the scents of CBL, and found its lathering capabilities lacking. M&M is good, but I don't love the scent the way I do B&M. And Italian Barber is good, but I don't think good enough to rebuy.

There are two roads that I see open to me. I can buy a ton of soaps, not really love 90% of them, and have to work through them steadily or sell them at a loss.

Or I could just stick with Cella Bio and Cologne Russe. It's simple, I already love these soaps, and this would make my purchasing considerably more controlled.

Do I just throw in the towel now?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Which CBL soaps did you try? I have recently used the Tonsorial base Insurgent and thought the lather was quite nice. I wasn't sure on the scent at first but it quickly grew on me.
I got the tallow, not the tonsorial. The scents and lathering were so bad that I am getting rid of them almost immediately.

I got the tallow, not the tonsorial. The scents and lathering were so bad that I am getting rid of them almost immediately.
I have a tub of the Grassroots Lavender that I have not used yet. The scent isn't an all time favorite but I didn't think it was off-putting. I am curious how it will lather now.

I got the CBL Barber shop (the tallow) and a hard puck called Italian barber (tonsorial ?). The CBL barber shop smells just like Fine American Barber and I can't say what the italian barber smells like but it smells good. Both lather just fine for me. I've never tried anything from M&M that I found exceptional but nothing was bad either. I have B&M Cologne Russe and would say it's OK but not not exceptional.

I like Marco's suggestions, I've only tried the D.R. Harris, La Toja and SV Desert Vetiver but they are all great. They smell good, lather easy and last forever. Since you said you generally keep a small stock on hand and use what you have before buying more, i would suggest getting ONE of these.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Here are my "Magnificent 7":

Captain Fawcett's Scapicchio 1820 Signature
Captain Fawcett's Luxurious
D.R. Harris Windsor
La Toja stick
Musgo Real Classic
Ach. Brito Mogno
SV Desert Vetiver 4.3
I got the CBL Barber shop (the tallow) and a hard puck called Italian barber (tonsorial ?). The CBL barber shop smells just like Fine American Barber and I can't say what the italian barber smells like but it smells good. Both lather just fine for me. I've never tried anything from M&M that I found exceptional but nothing was bad either. I have B&M Cologne Russe and would say it's OK but not not exceptional.

I like Marco's suggestions, I've only tried the D.R. Harris, La Toja and SV Desert Vetiver but they are all great. They smell good, lather easy and last forever. Since you said you generally keep a small stock on hand and use what you have before buying more, i would suggest getting ONE of these.
These are really good suggestions. Many thanks as always Marco.

I may try the Musgo Real, and the Ach. Brito Mogno. Is there a large difference between the two?

I am trying to economize so unfortunately paying for a puck of SV is not in the cards!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
These are really good suggestions. Many thanks as always Marco.

I may try the Musgo Real, and the Ach. Brito Mogno. Is there a large difference between the two?

I am trying to economize so unfortunately paying for a puck of SV is not in the cards!

Between Musgo Real and Mogno the main difference is the scent: both are fantastic, but really different one from the other. In terms of performance they are almost exactly the same, with Musgo Real having a very slight edge. The difference is so minimal that probably some wet shavers won't even notice it... I do suggest having both.

SV? Yes, it is expensive. I was lucky because I didn't have to pay for mine.

Keep going. You can still do better. Samples are your friend.

My top seven are:
Nuavia
Saponificio Varesino
Acqua di Parma
Mike’s
Wholly Kaw Frougere Bouquet
Tabac
Speick Cream or Stick

Last edited:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Between Musgo Real and Mogno the main difference is the scent: both are fantastic, but really different one from the other. In terms of performance they are almost exactly the same, with Musgo Real having a very slight edge. The difference is so minimal that probably some wet shavers won't even notice it... I do suggest having both.

SV? Yes, it is expensive. I was lucky because I didn't have to pay for mine.
That thread about the Ach. Brito company was very informative.

After reading it, I had to place an order for Mongo. Under $4 shipping is unheard of. And the praises that this Portuguese sleeper has been getting seem too good to be true!

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Try sample packs or samples. Try West Coast Shaving and Shavedash. If you don’t get on with 90% of them, you’re not out much, and you can try a lot of soaps/creams for the price of a tub or two.

Top Bottom