What's new

Omega Brush Cracks In Ring

I just noticed today I have two cracks in the black ring on my omega brush,Upon a search a noticed this has happened to a few people.Do you think I could seal them up with some gorilla glue?
20201115_121514.jpg
20201115_121607.jpg

Before gluing the crack, I would try to contact Omega about it. If they don’t respond or do anything about it, then I would try the glue. Until then I would set it aside to keep it from getting worse.

perhaps Rudy Vey might be of assistance if Omega fails to help.

The cost in my super market is 4.5 Euros for this. Is it so expensive in CONUS?

I think the time and glue is more expensive. In case you pack it...think of shipping cost etc.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
$15 on Amazon. I say glue it and if it doesn’t work, buy a new one. I figured an Omega boar brush would be north of $50.
Mercy, no! There aren't 4 boar brushes in the world that cost $50. I haven't bought a boar in probably 5 years but I'd guess most Omega boars are still around $10-$15 except for the few with resin handles, and I think they're about $25, as are Zeniths, Mondials, and even the Semogue Owner's Club, their top-of-the-line boar. Great value in pig bristle brushes. Say that ten times fast.

Mercy, no! There aren't 4 boar brushes in the world that cost $50. I haven't bought a boar in probably 5 years but I'd guess most Omega boars are still around $10-$15 except for the few with resin handles, and I think they're about $25, as are Zeniths, Mondials, and even the Semogue Owner's Club, their top-of-the-line boar. Great value in pig bristle brushes. Say that ten times fast.
I have never shopped for a boar brush. I managed to get a rash on my face by face lathering with a synthetic brush. I can’t imagine what a boar brush would do.

i have this issue with my 80266 omega boar brush years ago when trying to contact the seller they wouldnt do anything about it on amazon i should of contacted omega about the issue ive had the brush since 2015

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I have never shopped for a boar brush. I managed to get a rash on my face by face lathering with a synthetic brush. I can’t imagine what a boar brush would do.
Once broken in a boar brush is as soft as the finest silvertip badger money can buy. Usually takes between 5 and 25 lathers to achieve that state.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I think I seen @Tanuki put a O ring around the base of his boar brush knot to help keep soap from dripping all over his handle.

I wouldn't worry too much. My Omega 10051 has had 2 cracks on the ring (one on each side) and several others in the handle for months and the brush is still superb. I'm fairly sure I caused them by using very hot water (I shave with luke warm water these days)

I also have a small hairline crack in the paintwork on the handle of a Semogue. I sealed it with a dab of superglue but it looks worse now than it did before. I should've left it. The moral of the story: avoid very hot water. I've learned my lesson (eventually, lol.)

That black band holds the knot in the handle. You could pop the knot out of the handle and put the knot in a nicer handle than the plastic one Omega uses. Especially if the brush is nicely broken in, it's worth saving the knot.

You could pop the knot out of the handle and put the knot in a nicer handle than the plastic one Omega uses.

+1 consider yourself lucky! I have harvested a couple and it took more work than I expected. Good opportunity for a nicer handle.

If you're wondering if the ring will fall off if you don't glue it, then don't worry. The black ring is the rim of a plastic cup that holds the knot in the handle.

A few cracks won't undermine the structural integrity of the brush. I have a couple of decade-old Omega boars with cracked rings. One of them has a dozen cracks around the ring, but I whip that thing with all my might to get the water out and the knot never budges.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you dip your brush all the way till that ring in hot water?

The boar absorbs water and in that area the bristles swelling might have stressed out the ring. I read this long back on another forum that boars must be dropped in to the hot water only around 3/4ths of the way.

These are not harsh on the face at all,Porcupine is.
I’m not a fan of Porcupine brushes. Same with sea urchin.

I have a few boar brushes that I use regularly. Semogue and Omega predominately. Great brushes and not expensive. As mentioned, 5-25 uses before the hairs split and they become soft. After that, boar can feel as good as Badger IME.

Do you dip your brush all the way till that ring in hot water?

The boar absorbs water and in that area the bristles swelling might have stressed out the ring. I read this long back on another forum that boars must be dropped in to the hot water only around 3/4ths of the way.

Its possible although I was pretty careful in not doing this there might have been an occasion where I underestimated the water temp.

I have an Omega that cracked like that. I put some epoxy on it being sure it got down in the crack. No more issues with it.

I took my Omega 49 apart this evening. It pried out in a few seconds using a knife on the collar. Ready Resizer_16055871808130.jpgfor a new handle.

Top Bottom