What's new

Grumbles about Speick's scent profile across the lineup

Specifically how little each of their individual items I've tried smell like each other... I love the scent of the bar soap and the tube shaving cream, but the shave stick and aftershave splash, not so much (especially since those are both weak on the scent). I find it frustrating that these products only share a vague family resemblance and vary so widely in intensity, especially since the "good" ones are among my favorite scents. :confused:

I'm a big fan of these 4 Speick products myself. For me they're variations on a theme, scent-wise, and while I hadn't thought about it until now, I think I prefer that over identical aromas. My only regret with them is that I decided to buy a box of twelve bar soaps to get a better price. While I really like the soap, I'll be using it for a LONG time, and thus won't have as much variety in my shower scents.

To me the scent of any product, other than a aftershave, is secondary. For example if a soap performs really good the scent is not really important. A good scent is just a bonus to me.

The products all contain the speick plant extract, but they don't all have the exact same scent. The scents complement each other for the most part.

You can mix just a bit of the shaving cream with the soap when shaving using the stick. This usually results in a nice lather explosion.

There's both an EdT and a cologne. The cologne does not match the scent of the other products, but the EdT does. You could apply the EdT after shaving, though.

Specifically how little each of their individual items I've tried smell like each other... I love the scent of the bar soap and the tube shaving cream, but the shave stick and aftershave splash, not so much (especially since those are both weak on the scent). I find it frustrating that these products only share a vague family resemblance and vary so widely in intensity, especially since the "good" ones are among my favorite scents. :confused:

Would you not reorder the stick and aftershave?

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I only have the shave stick which I think preforms very well. I find the scent appealing, clean and fresh, not overly strong.

Would you not reorder the stick and aftershave?

I haven't reordered the shave stick despite the excellent performance and find "superlathering" the stick+cream not to be amazing enough to merit the extra effort... I *have* been guilty of reordering the cream at least twice, but since it under-performs every time (who'd have thought??) I won't be doing so again, despite it being one of my absolute favorite scents. The AS is a nice performer, but not exceptional enough to get a reorder, especially in light of the vague scent.

I think I'll have to seek out the EdT, especially since I haven't been able to locate Valeriana Celtica EO or FO.

I haven't reordered the shave stick despite the excellent performance and find "superlathering" the stick+cream not to be amazing enough to merit the extra effort... I *have* been guilty of reordering the cream at least twice, but since it under-performs every time (who'd have thought??) I won't be doing so again, despite it being one of my absolute favorite scents. The AS is a nice performer, but not exceptional enough to get a reorder, especially in light of the vague scent.

I think I'll have to seek out the EdT, especially since I haven't been able to locate Valeriana Celtica EO or FO.

Wow, you set a high bar!
Tell us what complete "lineups" meet your standards!!

I don't usually use "complete lineups", though the in my limited experience most makers AS is a pretty good match to the cream/soap.

Ahhh!
In my limited experience, Speick's AS and soaps/creams match about as well as most of the others out there!
The herbal and fresh notes in their scents is what keeps them unique!

speick trumper feather december 12 2018.jpg

Ahhh!
In my limited experience, Speick's AS and soaps/creams match about as well as most of the others out there!
The herbal and fresh notes in their scents is what keeps them unique!

I'm glad they work for you, I guess I should learn not to be so demanding ;)

Just checking back in to say that I finally chased down the EdT from a US seller and I do like it quite a bit ...it isn't the shaving cream (my favorite of the scent profiles), or the bar soap scent, but it is stronger and much more to my taste than the AS or shave stick, thanks for the rec!

Don't know about regular speick but I do enjoy speick active shave cream and splash, nice scent (spicy lavender) performance is pretty solid as well

I have noticed this, that the two products I have tried do not match - both are quite nice and I am happy with each in its own way, however. I do find it usually disappointing when stuff doesn't match, because it seems misleading when they have the same name (with no other indication that they are different). The AS splash smells incredible to me, though.

I have noticed this, that the two products I have tried do not match - both are quite nice and I am happy with each in its own way, however. I do find it usually disappointing when stuff doesn't match, because it seems misleading when they have the same name (with no other indication that they are different). The AS splash smells incredible to me, though.
Different strokes for different folks. I, for one, appreciate it when the products in a lineup are complimentary but not exactly the same. Barrister and Mann is a good example of a company that makes complimentary products without being samey. I just don't see the point in buying a bunch of products that smell identical, but again, different strokes...

Speick has different products and lines.... it's similar to saying TOBS products are not the same.....
Speick also has a line called Sport, their soap (in a tub) and aftershave are very different....
The smell in the balm is not great....and it's a bit sticky, but it seems to have some healing effect!

I'm talking about Speick products within the same line of that brand. Many people like to "layer" different products and want the scent to be the same for that reason. Kind of like buying a suit - the pants and jacket are cut of the same cloth and are of the same color. One can mix and match pants and jackets on one's own, just as many of us do with different shaving products in ways that seem pleasing to us (as I often do, as well), but in my opinion a suit is supposed to be a suit. TOBS has many nice creams, which I use, but they do have different names indicating what you should expect. TOBS "Duke of Windsor" cream doesn't smell like oranges while TOBS "Duke of Windsor" smells like sandalwood (to use fictional examples). They would instead be consistent within an individual TOBS line.

I can't imagine anyone being happy with an Old Spice aftershave that smelled like the classic we all know, but then an "Old Spice Classic" labeled deodorant that smelled like pine cones, and an "Old Spice Classic" bar soap that smelled like lemons, and so forth. Especially when one can't open or sample the product before buying.

I think I'll have to seek out the EdT

As much as I enjoy Speick's shave stick and ASL, their EdT was a dud. For me, it was an over-the-top, sickly sweet scent that was out of place in comparison with the rest of their products.

Top Bottom