What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday's shave was quite good which is a bit surprising.

11-10-20.X3.CH2Best.VitosRed.640.JPG

iKon X3
Flipped (old) Blade
Chubby 2 in Best
Vitos Red

Hyaluronic Acid
Cremo Face Moisturizer
Pineapple Bay Rum​
10-27-20.Cremo.HyaluronicAcid.PineappleBayRum.640.JPG

The Pineapple Bay Rum is growing on me, but the big news is how much more I enjoyed the iKon X3 slant razor.

This was definitely the very best shave I've had - especially in the smooth and comfortable department - with the iKon X3. I enjoyed it so much more than I'd enjoyed it last time I use it. One shave is not a really good test, but it seemed really telling to me. I enjoyed the X3 shave more than I've been enjoying the Wunderbar shaves. For the record, I've been enjoying the Wunderbar shaves, so it's a big deal to enjoy even one X3 shave more.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Glad I could help but I'm not completely sure I did...

The most logical place for it to be was the last place you looked, hmmm. You might bring that up with the nurses at the next session. :)

The logical place to have put it would be the same place I put the other slant I used in Slantember, the PBOCS. I'd overlooked it there when looking there before, but it was logical to think it might there and hiding. Indeed, it was.

The last place I've looked for anything I'ver ever lost, looked for, and found has in my experience always been where I found it. Why continue looking elsewhere after the item's been located, right?

I promise to discuss this with Big Nurse. She's the only nurse still talking to me. The others chase me for sure, but they always have needles, and I'm hard to catch.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The last place I've looked for anything I'ver ever lost, looked for, and found has in my experience always been where I found it. Why continue looking elsewhere after the item's been located, right?

I promise to discuss this with Big Nurse. She's the only nurse still talking to me. The others chase me for sure, but they always have needles, and I'm hard to catch.

Yes, unless you have two that you cant tell apart and have hidden away both, presumably in the same hidey hole, and yet only found one but you dont know which one because you cant tell them apart. What would one do then I wonder...

Caginess is quickly learned when being chased by needles lol.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yes, unless you have two that you cant tell apart and have hidden away both, presumably in the same hidey hole, and yet only found one but you dont know which one because you cant tell them apart. What would one do then I wonder...

Caginess is quickly learned when being chased by needles lol.

I have two of a few razors, but not two of the X3.

I heartily agree w the accolades for the E-2. It is the best shaver I have. It provides a comfortable BBS everytime w no fuss. Technique is irrelevant. Lather up and drag the blade across the face. Pressure or no pressure the skinny head flies around the face; everything has been designed in. It is a brilliant razor that is easy for the beginner and satisfying for a lifetime. IMHO use only Chinese Schicks for best results.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday's shave was very good.

11-13-20.El Fantasma.vitos.Mistura.640.JPG

El Fantasma
Flipped SI Blade
SOC Mistura
Vitos Red​
Hyaluronic Acid
Cremo Face Moisturizer
Pineapple Bay Rum​
10-27-20.Cremo.HyaluronicAcid.PineappleBayRum.640.JPG

El Fantasma is a terrific razor. More efficient than most for sure. Also comfortable. Today's shave was with a bit more to cut as I skipped shaving yesterday.

I like the Pineapple Bay Rum. It's really grown on me.

The SOC Mistura is a fabulous brush.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday's shave was very good. My experiment with the Wunderbar ends soon.

11-15-20.Wunderbar.Z-Cop-Man.SimpsonShavingCream.640.JPG

I'm enjoying the occasional use of Simpson's Luxury Shaving Cream. It's not a cream as I think of cream, but more of a fairly hard soft soap if that makes sense. Anyway, it's a good shaving soap. It has a very pleasant, soft, gentlemanly scent unlikely to be offensive to anyone. Its performance is a notch below my usual Vitos Red, but only a small notch. I like it. The soap was an unexpected gift from a member. I appreciate the soap. I have a generous amount of it and will certainly use it over time because it does indeed seem to be a luxurious soap.

My Zenith copper handle Manchurian brush has changed over time. It is now luxuriously soft. There is not even the tiniest amount of scritch. It's not remotely prickly. It's devoid of pokiness. The brush has enormous backbone and great scrub. It's a large knot, but not an enormous one. It's not a lather hog. The density is perfect I think. The handle has great ergonomics. I continue to rank it as one of my very favorite brushes. It is certainly a huge value in the world of elite badgers.

The Wunderbar initially seemed to me to be right aggressive as in prone to biting me. However, I've learned to use it correctly and it's not jumped up out of the bushes to bite me in a good many shaves. It is smooth (on my skin, comfortable) and efficient. It may not be the most smooth, comfortable razor I've used, but it's a contender for the near-the-top category. In the same vein it's not the most efficient but it's near-the-top for a razor this comfortable.

The Wunderbar is not as easy to shave with as the Fatip Open Comb Slant. Nor as easy as the Schick Type E2 open to clean. Others, too. However, it's not hard to use once the learning curve is climbed.

Were the Wunderbar my only razor I'd be a happy camper. Alas, it's not even my razor, as it is borrowed, and it must soon return to its owner. Will I maybe buy one down the road? That's a good question. Probably not, but I wouldn't rule it out.

These are the post shave products I've used so far today.​
Beach (PAA) and Hyaluronic Acid.480.JPG

Oh, for the record, as much as I like El Fantasma I'm not sure it's a razor I could use every day. It is a very good razor but perhaps not a daily driver for me. I think the Wunderbar, in contrast, could be a daily driver. However, the FOCS tops both in its overall balance of performance qualities and ease of use.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Sunday's shave was very good. My experiment with the Wunderbar ends soon.

View attachment 1182591

I'm enjoying the occasional use of Simpson's Luxury Shaving Cream. It's not a cream as I think of cream, but more of a fairly hard soft soap if that makes sense. Anyway, it's a good shaving soap. It has a very pleasant, soft, gentlemanly scent unlikely to be offensive to anyone. Its performance is a notch below my usual Vitos Red, but only a small notch. I like it. The soap was an unexpected gift from a member. I appreciate the soap. I have a generous amount of it and will certainly use it over time because it does indeed seem to be a luxurious soap.

My Zenith copper handle Manchurian brush has changed over time. It is now luxuriously soft. There is not even the tiniest amount of scritch. It's not remotely prickly. It's devoid of pokiness. The brush has enormous backbone and great scrub. It's a large knot, but not an enormous one. It's not a lather hog. The density is perfect I think. The handle has great ergonomics. I continue to rank it as one of my very favorite brushes. It is certainly a huge value in the world of elite badgers.

The Wunderbar initially seemed to me to be right aggressive as in prone to biting me. However, I've learned to use it correctly and it's not jumped up out of the bushes to bite me in a good many shaves. It is smooth (on my skin, comfortable) and efficient. It may not be the most smooth, comfortable razor I've used, but it's a contender for the near-the-top category. In the same vein it's not the most efficient but it's near-the-top for a razor this comfortable.

The Wunderbar is not as easy to shave with as the Fatip Open Comb Slant. Nor as easy as the Schick Type E2 open to clean. Others, too. However, it's not hard to use once the learning curve is climbed.

Were the Wunderbar my only razor I'd be a happy camper. Alas, it's not even my razor, as it is borrowed, and it must soon return to its owner. Will I maybe buy one down the road? That's a good question. Probably not, but I wouldn't rule it out.

These are the post shave products I've used so far today.​
View attachment 1182599

Oh, for the record, as much as I like El Fantasma I'm not sure it's a razor I could use every day. It is a very good razor but perhaps not a daily driver for me. I think the Wunderbar, in contrast, could be a daily driver. However, the FOCS tops both in its overall balance of performance qualities and ease of use.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I'm curious, now, are OC slants smoother razors than Solid Bar slants?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm curious, now, are OC slants smoother razors than Solid Bar slants?

Good question, but one I can't answer. You're saying the FOCS slant is smoother (comfort) than its CC fraternal twin, right? That should partly answer your question, but does it generalize?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Good question, but one I can't answer. You're saying the FOCS slant is smoother (comfort) than its CC fraternal twin, right? That should partly answer your question, but does it generalize?

Happy shaves,

Jim
To bad there's not a Wunderbar OC for a comparison. Until then my mind will spin like a hamster in a wheel.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Today's shave was good.

Today ends my experiment with the Wunderbar razor lent to me by a member.

11-18-20.Stealth.WB(head).kit.640.JPG

Today I used the Stealth and also the Wunderbar, on the same handle.

Half and half.
Same flipped blade in both razors.

70/30 knot.
Vitos Red.​
11-18-20.Stealth&WB.Angle.Kit.640.JPG
11-18-20.Stealth&Wunderbar.70:30.Vitos.640.Flat..JPG
The Usual Suspects ➡​
HyaluronicdAcid.Cremo.Beach.480.8-23-20.JPG

Half my face was shaved with the Stealth. The other half, with the Wunderbar.

It's been interesting and a lot of fun comparing these razors. Somewhere down the road the gentleman who lent me his Wunderbar and I will perhaps have some comments about the two razors. My Stealth is now going to him for a while so he can do what I just did and compare the Stealth and Wunderbar side by side.

One small difference is the Stealth doesn't quite cover the tabs. The WB does. I like the slightly uncovered tabs just fine so I'm not giving an points for more coverage. The razors have slightly different gaps, too, but I'll saving further comments about that for now.

The Wunderbar grew on me. Good razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday my shave was good.

11-19-20.X3.Chubby2Best.Vitos.640.JPG

Today's razor was the iKon X3
The blade was a flipped SI​

Good razor, this X3. Smooth and reasonably efficient. I'm glad I got to compare it with the Wunderbar.

Beach (splash).11-20.640.JPG

I kinda sorta think of both these splashes as being much the same, but they're really not.

Caribbean Holiday, which I used today, has a much stronger and very persistent vanilla scent.

Also used hyaluronic acid and Cremo Face Moisturizer.​
CaribbeanHoliday (splash).640.11-20.JPG

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Top Bottom