What's new

Any soaps you won't buy again?

Eben Stone

Staff member
I enjoyed reading the last 6 or so pages. Talk about YMMV.
Saponificio Varesino.

I bought many of them just to find out they just are too oily for me. Have a lifetime stock of them to use at the most drying winter months maybe.

Lesson learned, thou should not buy dozen of soaps at once without carefully testing them first.

I guess "one man's trash is another man's treasure" can apply to soaps. I plan to buy one of each scent.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Proraso green as it made me realize I can't stand menthol.
I have the C.O. Bigelow and concur, but it may be the Eucalyptus, I'm not sure.

Grooming Dept seems to have a smell in the three soaps I've tried, one vegan, that I don't like. I'm guessing it's one of the oils, but not sure which one, but I dislike it enough that I know it's not for me.

I don't see ever buying any of these soaps again:
Art of Shaving - overpriced and the current formula does not perform for me
Arko - performance is good, but I never warmed up to the smell (sorry Arko lovers)
L'Occitane - decent performance, but not enough to re-up
Pre de Provence - I never could get a great lather with this one

Vanderhagen-

Arko sticks- Only because I’ve pretty much been using that stuff exclusively for the past 3 years and I have 13 sticks remaining out of 20.

Col. Conk- wife isn’t really a fan- but I am- and she likes so many others that I’ll be fine with what she does like. Glycerine for me is more a summer time soap.

There’s some forgotten brand names out there- pine scented, pumpkin scented with all natural ingredients etc- those were garbage. That’s pretty much it. I haven't bought soap since 2017 and it’s likely I won’t need to until 2040 🤣😂🤣

Proraso green. I love Proraso white, the green seems too oily and strong.
Haslinger Schafmilch. OK, but prefer other Haslinger varieties.
Almost anything sandalwood. Just not my thing, though I've read that sandalwood is an expensive fragrance and most of the time you're getting a cheap imitation. So maybe I'll withhold judgment on that.

Proraso green. I love Proraso white, the green seems too oily and strong.
Haslinger Schafmilch. OK, but prefer other Haslinger varieties.
Almost anything sandalwood. Just not my thing, though I've read that sandalwood is an expensive fragrance and most of the time you're getting a cheap imitation. So maybe I'll withhold judgment on that.
I used to think that of sandalwood- my sister made fun of me one day and asked what aftershave I had on- it was proraso sandalwood. She said, “it smells like an old lady’s undies.” Now, on the other hand, my wife absolutely loves sandalwood and gives it to me religiously in some form for either Christmas, Valentine’s Day, or my birthday. Not sure how I feel about that, I supposeI should make both my wife and sister smell lilac vegetal and have them weigh in. At least that’s a question I know the answer to, lol! 😂

Disclaimer: the artisan ones listed were based on small samples only unless otherwise noted.

Won't buy again:
Proraso Green - 1st wet shaving cream, decent performance, enjoy the smell but for now enjoying others much more.
MDC Nature - decent performance, enjoy the scent, think it will last me 20+ years so no need to buy more.
Cella decent not great
Declaration Grooming - multiple samples, didn't perform better than other soaps I have and I didn't find a scent that I loved.
Catties bubbles - 2 samples, fine performance, but didn't knock my socks off on performance or skin feel
B&M reserve base - multiple samples, prefer the main glissant base more
Murphy and McNeil - multiple samples, didn't perform better than other soaps I have and I didn't find a scent that I loved.
Zingari Man - multiple samples, didn't perform better than other soaps I have and I didn't find a scent that I loved.
Stirling - multiple samples, didn't perform better than other soaps I have and I didn't find a scent that I loved.
Wholly Kaw - I have multiple samples and two tubs + matching toner - I'm on the fence on these for performance, post shave and scents.

Also I need to chill on samples / purchases or I may drive my family crazy with the "smell this one, what do you think?B&" action :ladysman:
Major parts of this list boggle my mind. Declaration Grooming, B&M Reserve, Murphy and McNeil, Zingari Man, Stirling and Wholly Kaw are top tier soaps IMHO. I have multiples of each except for B&M Reserve, Zingari Man and Murphy and McNeil. I have one each of the last 3. All are great. Just a difference of opinion I guess but I now know where not to seek soap recommendations.:eek2:

Major parts of this list boggle my mind. Declaration Grooming, B&M Reserve, Murphy and McNeil, Zingari Man, Stirling and Wholly Kaw are top tier soaps IMHO. I have multiples of each except for B&M Reserve, Zingari Man and Murphy and McNeil. I have one each of the last 3. All are great. Just a difference of opinion I guess but I now know where not to seek soap recommendations.:eek2:
To each their own.

I spent quite a bit of money on samples searching for what would work best for my skin and the way I shave with a scent that my wife and I liked. I chose these samples based on tons of recommendations from the forums, YouTubers etc. and I chose the soaps that are listed because they were described as top tier soaps.

I am not suggesting that the ones I listed aren't top tier or have horrible performance or awful scents.

But for me and my face, compared to other soaps that I have purchased, due to one or more of the factors I listed, I will not be purchasing again.

To each their own.

I spent quite a bit of money on samples searching for what would work best for my skin and the way I shave with a scent that my wife and I liked. I chose these samples based on tons of recommendations from the forums, YouTubers etc. and I chose the soaps that are listed because they were described as top tier soaps.

I am not suggesting that the ones I listed aren't top tier or have horrible performance or awful scents.

But for me and my face, compared to other soaps that I have purchased, due to one or more of the factors I listed, I will not be purchasing again.
You have to go with what works for you and you have done that. Having said that, as one example I don't know of many who think Wholly Kaw lacks in performance or most particularly in post shave where it excels.

The only soap I won't buy again at the moment is Col. Conk Lime. Last two times I've used it my face starts to burn on the second pass and stays sensitive to touch (starts burning if I brush it with my hand) all day. Same razors and blades I use every day, so I suspect the soap has something in it that causes sensitivity to touch. I haven't had anything like razor burn for ages, almost has to be the soap.

The shave itself it uneventful and close, the soap is nice and slick. Just makes my skin burn if I touch it all day.

I'll try a time or two more, but if the problem persists I'll toss it (melted into a bowl, so not something to pass along). The Amber was fine and a pleasure to use, so I'm sure it's not the soap base, just something in the scent.

Haslinger Schafmilch. It's what my uncle who got me into wetshaving used exclusively for like 8 years (I don't know how long he used it but it was a long time)
Neither of us like the new formula

Tabac: It's hard to shave with clothes pin on my nose.

Arko: The scent isn't the worst thing in the world (see above), but it seems to dry out my face more than other soaps.

Mystic Waters: Hate to throw shade on artisans. Loved the scent of Jeff's Lavender. But my tap water wouldn't lather the stuff. With distilled water it was fine.

Tabac: It's hard to shave with clothes pin on my nose.

Arko: The scent isn't the worst thing in the world (see above), but it seems to dry out my face more than other soaps.

Mystic Waters: Hate to throw shade on artisans. Loved the scent of Jeff's Lavender. But my tap water wouldn't lather the stuff. With distilled water it was fine.
Holy Black soaps are pretty bad no slip or conditioning to their soap and customer service considering how much they charge is really pathetic........they should just quit.Their EDT is no stronger than their aftershave and the glass they ship with their soap is defective.....called them ....they could care less at almost 200 dollars a pop!I hope they read this as they lost a customer and as many of you that read this!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

You mentioned some good soaps, for example Wholly Kaw

How are you lathering ?
( no offense intended)

I have wet shaving about 15 years and admit I only truly been lathering correctly last 2-3 years
It makes a difference

I learned honestly to correctly lather by watching YouTube vids

You should be able to lather with any soap if you do it correctly and obtain a great shave

Recent advances in soap formulas from artisans are amazing and surpassed older bases

Top Bottom