What's new

So you talked me into it

I've seen them. Do they really work? I was worried they'd be some useless gimmick. I'm not looking to smoke a pipe while riding my motorcycle (although if anyone has recommendations). But something to stand up to a constant 25 mph wind.

In other news, I've come to a realization last night. I was browsing new and estate pipe and tobaccos. Just mindlessly looking through the pages in the usual places. And it dawned on my that there was nothing that really jumped out and grabbed me. Nothing I couldn't make a case for spending money on. That was about 3/4 of a second before I realized it had been a few weeks since I last went looking at the sites.

Gentlemen (and any lurking ladies?), I think I'm content with what I have. Don't get me wrong, there's always more I'd like to try. But in a someday kind of way. Maybe next big tobacco order kind of way. I'll still pop into a local tobacconist and support them in some small way. But the difference is if I'm out somewhere I'll stop in. I don't seek then out anymore.

I like my couple pipes a day. I like the pipes I have, even the one I don't use. I like the tobaccos I have, even the ones I don't like make good blenders. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything* with how I'm set up. I'm genuinely content with what I have. That's a good feeling I hope to ride for a while. At least through winter.

*Lakeland would be the one exception. But something happened and we're not getting those right now. So it does me no good to worry about that, other than keeping half an eye open for a (reasonably priced) tin to pop up on the legitimate market.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've seen them. Do they really work? I was worried they'd be some useless gimmick. I'm not looking to smoke a pipe while riding my motorcycle (although if anyone has recommendations). But something to stand up to a constant 25 mph wind.

In other news, I've come to a realization last night. I was browsing new and estate pipe and tobaccos. Just mindlessly looking through the pages in the usual places. And it dawned on my that there was nothing that really jumped out and grabbed me. Nothing I couldn't make a case for spending money on. That was about 3/4 of a second before I realized it had been a few weeks since I last went looking at the sites.

Gentlemen (and any lurking ladies?), I think I'm content with what I have. Don't get me wrong, there's always more I'd like to try. But in a someday kind of way. Maybe next big tobacco order kind of way. I'll still pop into a local tobacconist and support them in some small way. But the difference is if I'm out somewhere I'll stop in. I don't seek then out anymore.

I like my couple pipes a day. I like the pipes I have, even the one I don't use. I like the tobaccos I have, even the ones I don't like make good blenders. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything* with how I'm set up. I'm genuinely content with what I have. That's a good feeling I hope to ride for a while. At least through winter.

*Lakeland would be the one exception. But something happened and we're not getting those right now. So it does me no good to worry about that, other than keeping half an eye open for a (reasonably priced) tin to pop up on the legitimate market.

Right with you there!

I've nailed the pipe array. It just works. Over time, I might find that something's never getting used, and is surplus, but nothing seems to be "missing".

And I haven't smoked my Christmas pipes yet.

As to tobaccos, I've found my rhythm there too. I have made two purchases recently, that I didn't reallly need to. One was a "feeling glum" pick me up, and the other was eventually finding some stuff I was looking for ages ago. It was all starting to feel a little excessive and confusing for a while, to be honest, but the five mini tins have simplified things perfectly.

There's lots more I "want", but anything else wouldn't be smoked for 5+ years anyway, and I don't get fun out of owning stuff I'm not using.

I think you have a few set aside for ageing too now, don't you?

There's a few ounces aging. Well, let me back up. There's some aging on purpose. LBF, LTF, Carolina Red Flake, and one or two others. I should really stock that up more. Then there's some I'm aging because right now they don't work for me. For example; about half my stash of PS English Luxury, a jar of black cav, and tins of H&H Bold Kentucky, Jackknife Plug, and something else I can't remember off the top of my head.

I'm told time will mellow out the Latikia. I'm hoping that the same will happen to the dark fire. I really do like the bold dark pure tobacco flavors of the Kentucky. It's got that same in your face unapologetic raw strength like moonshine. But it's just a little too much of a good thing. I should really bring up something and start blending more.

On the ride to work today, I only had half a bowl of Carter Hall. That's all that was in the pouch. So a pouch used almost only as a work day breakfasts bowl so last about a month. This information is good to know.

I have a pouch of Half&Half that'll replace it for breakfast duty. That'll be a good change of pace for me. I'm hoping it'll be like switching brands of coffee. It'll be different for a little bit. But after the first few, it's still a good delivery method.

In coffee related news, due to covid inspired restructuring at work, I no longer have access to my coffee pot! Of the 4 of us denied access, three of us will be drinking it from 6:30 straight on until noon. Me and the purchasing manager keep going until quitting time. Later on tonight I have to buy a coffee pot to bring to work. Otherwise not only will we accomplish absolutely nothing, but I'm pretty certain one of us will end up in the hospital.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
On the ride to work today, I only had half a bowl of Carter Hall. That's all that was in the pouch. So a pouch used almost only as a work day breakfasts bowl so last about a month. This information is good to know.

I have a pouch of Half&Half that'll replace it for breakfast duty. That'll be a good change of pace for me. I'm hoping it'll be like switching brands of coffee. It'll be different for a little bit. But after the first few, it's still a good delivery method.

In coffee related news, due to covid inspired restructuring at work, I no longer have access to my coffee pot! Of the 4 of us denied access, three of us will be drinking it from 6:30 straight on until noon. Me and the purchasing manager keep going until quitting time. Later on tonight I have to buy a coffee pot to bring to work. Otherwise not only will we accomplish absolutely nothing, but I'm pretty certain one of us will end up in the hospital.
I have to send some razor stuff to a guy in Bulgaria in a few days so when I go to the PO I’ll mail you a generous sample of Match CH. I had a bowl of H & H this AM on the way home from the barber (when I take the Schnauzers to the groomer, I go to my groomer) and it was a pleasant morning smoke. That deal with the coffee pot is some real serious business though! My heart bleeds for you 😂.

I have plenty of Carter Hall left. When I got my Brigham pipes, on the same order I threw in 6 pouches. That was just pouch 1 I finished. And there's still 2 other pouches in the car of other blends.

Ok, Half and Half is some pretty good tobacco. Very light and tasty, goes very well with coffee on a rainy commute to work. And the pouch note upon opening it is amazing. It might not replace my CH, but it's a great compliment to it.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Ok, Half and Half is some pretty good tobacco. Very light and tasty, goes very well with coffee on a rainy commute to work. And the pouch note upon opening it is amazing. It might not replace my CH, but it's a great compliment to it.
Half and Half is the only tobacco my dad ever smoked and always in a Kaywoodie. It really is good stuff isn’t it? I keep a tub around. It is topped with Cardamom, coriander and maze. The original topping was tonquin bean until the FDA banned it in the 1920’s or 1930’s.

Dude! I left the pouch open for the 10 hours I was at work. I had a little trouble keeping it lit with just breaking the seal and loading it up. I let it dry out and now my car smells so wonderful! The charring light tasted great! I'll be enjoying this as I start my trek homeward.

Ok, I've had a minute to organize my thoughts and gather my initial impressions. I found myself comparing this to Carter Hall. And honestly, why wouldn't I? They're lumped in along with SWR and the Prince in that codger category. Also, that first bowl was lit at 5:50 on my way to work. It was like switching coffee brands first thing in the morning. And so far I've had all of 2 bowls of the H&H. These are just first impressions as seen through those lenses.

Both Carter Hall and Half and Half seem to be variations on a theme. That theme being a blend that you can effortlessly (absent mindedly?) smoke yet will provide a pleasant and possibly interesting experience if you focus on it. Both hit that very well. Both need their drying time, based on my preferences. Truly there's no bad option.

The differences are what make for good inspiring discussions. I found that the Bright part of the description was right on. Much brighter than CH. And you can trade the cardamom cinnamon combination in that the way you can taste the plum/ dark fruit in CH. The aftertaste in the H&H was a little more pronounced than CH, and a touch more sugary sweeter rather than like a natural fruit type sweet. Both good, both different.

I'll know more midway through the pouch. But for now it gets my endorsement. If you've never had it and can get it, it's worth getting the pouch blind. You might not love it, but I doubt you'll hate it. If you've had it before and find it in the wild, grab a pouch. If nothing else, you'll help encourage the shop to stock it.

All the leaves on neighborhood trees are gone. In the mornings, the folks walking dogs and jogging are starting to wear their jackets. The (American) football season is halfway through (if world events let us finish the season anyways). The garden has its winter mulch and black plastic sheeting. My bike is safely hibernating in the jo garage. And the local weatherman is starting to show us snow in other locations around the nation. Cool weather smoking is officially here.

I found that English blends are starting to shine though. Latikia compliments neighbors' wood fire smoke very nicely, at least according to Mrs. Rookie. But it no longer felt heavy. No longer like eating beef stew or clam chowder in the heat of summer. That heavy English felt... right. I'm starting to wonder about some of the Kentucky I've been sitting on. Thinking maybe I'll appreciate that more now that I'm back in flannel shirts and sheets. I think I have my assignment for the next month or so.

And earlier I said I was content with my level of tobacco paraphernalia. It turns out that's only partially true. Yes, I'm very happy with what I have. In my pipe collection, there's only one mediocre smoker. That Medico Jet Stream still needs a bit of loving with a drill bit to open it up slightly. My tobaccos, all except for the Kentucky, are good according to my tastes. And I haven't given up on dark fired yet. Thus far I've managed to aviod lighter ADs through sticking with matches. So in that instance, yes I'm very satisfied with what I have.

BUT! But there's a couple things missing. Specifically, there's a zulu shape and a meerschaum pipe missing. And I wouldn't mind having the rest of the Canadian family. God help me, I'm very curious about churchwardens and almost comically bent pipes like an Oom Paul/ Hungarian. But those can come in due time. I have half a lifetime to acquire those 7 smoking implements. Right now, the biggest holes in my cellar are much more on the storage side of things. Mason jars and some sort of stand are what I feel missing.

A pipe stand brings its own challenges, like where to put it. I've been poking around my living room trying to find an appropriate place for a couple stands. The best I can come up with is a shelf above the reach of a very determined 3 year old. But that's nothing a little rearranging can't fix. In fact, a nice looking full pipe stand would probably fit in well with the decor in the room, paintings of tall wooden sailing ships like Baltimore clippers and East Indiamen.

Being in the middle of November, I think the best plan would be to wait another 6 weeks and see what the Christmas season brings. While I doubt I'll get anything tobacco related, Amazon gift cards aren't out of the question.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
All the leaves on neighborhood trees are gone. In the mornings, the folks walking dogs and jogging are starting to wear their jackets. The (American) football season is halfway through (if world events let us finish the season anyways). The garden has its winter mulch and black plastic sheeting. My bike is safely hibernating in the jo garage. And the local weatherman is starting to show us snow in other locations around the nation. Cool weather smoking is officially here.

I found that English blends are starting to shine though. Latikia compliments neighbors' wood fire smoke very nicely, at least according to Mrs. Rookie. But it no longer felt heavy. No longer like eating beef stew or clam chowder in the heat of summer. That heavy English felt... right. I'm starting to wonder about some of the Kentucky I've been sitting on. Thinking maybe I'll appreciate that more now that I'm back in flannel shirts and sheets. I think I have my assignment for the next month or so.

And earlier I said I was content with my level of tobacco paraphernalia. It turns out that's only partially true. Yes, I'm very happy with what I have. In my pipe collection, there's only one mediocre smoker. That Medico Jet Stream still needs a bit of loving with a drill bit to open it up slightly. My tobaccos, all except for the Kentucky, are good according to my tastes. And I haven't given up on dark fired yet. Thus far I've managed to aviod lighter ADs through sticking with matches. So in that instance, yes I'm very satisfied with what I have.

BUT! But there's a couple things missing. Specifically, there's a zulu shape and a meerschaum pipe missing. And I wouldn't mind having the rest of the Canadian family. God help me, I'm very curious about churchwardens and almost comically bent pipes like an Oom Paul/ Hungarian. But those can come in due time. I have half a lifetime to acquire those 7 smoking implements. Right now, the biggest holes in my cellar are much more on the storage side of things. Mason jars and some sort of stand are what I feel missing.

A pipe stand brings its own challenges, like where to put it. I've been poking around my living room trying to find an appropriate place for a couple stands. The best I can come up with is a shelf above the reach of a very determined 3 year old. But that's nothing a little rearranging can't fix. In fact, a nice looking full pipe stand would probably fit in well with the decor in the room, paintings of tall wooden sailing ships like Baltimore clippers and East Indiamen.

Being in the middle of November, I think the best plan would be to wait another 6 weeks and see what the Christmas season brings. While I doubt I'll get anything tobacco related, Amazon gift cards aren't out of the question.

A (sitting) Zulu is missing here too, but for the time being at least, I've found myself not yearning one. I'm still residing under the delusion that I have enough. Maybe that will be a commission in a couple of years time. :001_tongu A rack has fallen off the wishlist too. The drawer system works just fine, and anything that isn't in the drawer, is either loaded or airing out.

Visual shock therapy is keeping at bay any further acquisition disorders. Opening the pipe drawer to a myriad of pipes, or the ageing drawer to an obscene (to me) glut of tobacco, knocks the stuffing out of desires for more. :biggrin1: I also have a paper list of everything in there, and that helps give a perspective of how well stocked I am too.

I'm smoking inside, and don't want to stink the house out, so I haven't had that reawakening for English blends that you have. Maybe I ought to get out for a stroll more, and take a little with me, but every convenient perch I stumble across will likely be wet and cold this time of year. For now, everything else is keeping me very well entertained, and there always seems to be something to suit my mood.

That's true, about the cold wet perches. I'm fortunate enough to have a covered porch. Cuts out just enough sun/heat, wind, and rain to make all but the most extreme weather related problems into annoyances. Which is good, because there's no way on earth Mrs. Rookie would allow those heavy English blends to be smoked indoors.

I do like the idea of a drawer system. However, in my case, that drawer would look more like a shelf on a wall rather than a drawer at waist level. It kind of follows into other hobbies I've had/ have. I can't ride my motorcycle in the garage, play a guitar in its case, or take photographs with the lens cap on. (Although it turns out you can indeed take pictures with the lens cap on, as over the years I've shot enough rolls like that.)

Then it just becomes a question of how to rotate tobaccos. Which will be asked once I have a semi permanent location.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
That's true, about the cold wet perches. I'm fortunate enough to have a covered porch. Cuts out just enough sun/heat, wind, and rain to make all but the most extreme weather related problems into annoyances. Which is good, because there's no way on earth Mrs. Rookie would allow those heavy English blends to be smoked indoors.

I do like the idea of a drawer system. However, in my case, that drawer would look more like a shelf on a wall rather than a drawer at waist level. It kind of follows into other hobbies I've had/ have. I can't ride my motorcycle in the garage, play a guitar in its case, or take photographs with the lens cap on. (Although it turns out you can indeed take pictures with the lens cap on, as over the years I've shot enough rolls like that.)

Then it just becomes a question of how to rotate tobaccos. Which will be asked once I have a semi permanent location.

Managing opened blends became very easy for me with the addition of five small tins.

IMG_20201015_155005_edit_edit.jpg

Be they samples I'm smoking, tins or jarred bulk, every bowl I smoke now is loaded from one of these small tins. When it's empty, I'll top it back up from the same source, until that source runs dry, then move on to the next tin/pouch/jar. Such tins would easily live on your shelf, and give you options to hand when you get the urge and time for a smoke. Although in your position, I'd add a pouch for the car to that system too. Each tin will hold about an ounce of tobacco, so I don't have to top them up too regularly at my rate of consumption.

Those five tins, or four while the English isn't being smoked, seem to be quite enough to cover my whims. If at any point I find myself fancying one of those genres, but not the blend that's inside, I know that particular blend needs ditching or phasing out, and has no place here long term. Occasionally, I might forget what's inside and have to backtrack a little, but only because they're getting topped up with samples, and that won't happen so much when I move on to the tinned stuff.

I've taken my fair share of photos with the lens cap on too...

I heard a wonderful story years ago, from someone I trust completely. He was in his usual watering hole, and one of the regulars at the next table had brought in their holiday pics to share/bore people with. Every picture she brought out had one side blurred as if covered by a finger, and she remembered taking none of the pictures in the wallet. There was enough recognisable stuff in them to confirm they were pictures of where she'd been though, even though none of what she' photographed was in there. It was some time later in the evening, that someone realised she'd spent the entire holiday with the camera backwards, taking photos over her shoulder, with her ear blocking out one side of the shot. 🤣

Hmm. Baby food jars on the shelf that get topped off from the mason jars in the cellar. That is has real merit, worth looking into. The car rotation has become its own separate entity consisting of codger blends packed into corn cobs.

While stationed in Germany, we took a visiting relation on a Rhine River cruise. It was wonderful! Fairytale land with another castle every 20 meters and some of the best wines I've ever tried. Of course I loaded up the film and started snapping away. Once I got to nearing 40 pictures, I began to suspect something was wrong. When I opened the back, I saw the film had never loaded properly. Not a single one picture was taken.

The other bone headed thing (I'll admit to) was at the beach. It was one of those few times when all the photographic stars aligned. We saw dolphins and sailing ships and ponies, the our friends were all behaving themselves, gorgeous skies. You can imagine my confusion when each and every picture of the 3 rolls I shot were blown out to hell and back. I'm a much better photographer than to blow out over 100 pictures in a row! Or so I thought, until I saw a few pictures of myself wearing sunglasses. Yup, they were on the whole day, including when they were up to the viewfinder.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member

754193CB-01FE-4349-B220-481C6BED986B.jpeg

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification

I use a milk crate to hold my Mason jars. It looks nice and keeps (most of) my opened blends readily available and conveniently displayed.
20201116_094543.jpg

It is the top shelf of my bourbon cabinet.

So a thing happened yesterday. My heart started racing like anything and didn't stop. Mrs. Rookie brought me to the hospital and I couldn't stop her. That's very telling on its own.

I'm still currently at the hospital. I'm better, but they haven't figured out why it started. I guess we'll see.

The bad thing is no coffee and no smoking. Or snuff, apparently. That little trick lost me pants privileges. And it looks like I'll be quitting smoking cigarettes before too long. Not how I wanted it, but I'm glad that phase in my life may be ending.

Top Bottom