The gun that won the west.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
And the honor goes to....

Current production American Bulldog...

1604956739924.png

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
That Charter Arms, Model #14420 is quite a handsome piece.

Who’d of thunk it?
First, the West & then nearly three-quarters of a century later, the Lobsterbacks provide the engine that won a war ... i.e., the Rolls-Royce & (soon thereafter) Packard Merlins.

I'm going to have to disagree with you about this weapon is the one that won the West. Look up a Colt 1873 Single Action Army Revolver (Peacemaker). That's really the one that won the west. But that's just my opinion and it doesn't mean anything except to me.

This revolver may have won the West Coast, I couldn't tell you....

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Well. Skeeter Skelton liked 44 Special, so did Elmer Keith.

And Charter Arms made some good guns.

And there are lots of classic westerns, where the cowhands are beating the dusty trails with their Bulldogs... :huh:

FWIW, I think the Marlin lever beats the Winchester, too.

AA

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'm going to have to disagree with you about this weapon is the one that won the West. Look up a Colt 1873 Single Action Army Revolver (Peacemaker). That's really the one that won the west. But that's just my opinion and it doesn't mean anything except to me.

This revolver may have won the West Coast, I couldn't tell you....

Oh...you mean one of these? :c1:

1604969259391.png

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Well. Skeeter Skelton liked 44 Special, so did Elmer Keith.

And Charter Arms made some good guns.

And there are lots of classic westerns, where the cowhands are beating the dusty trails with their Bulldogs... :huh:

FWIW, I think the Marlin lever beats the Winchester, too.

AA

I'd like to have one of those in .44 Magnum also. :)

In realty probably a tossup between the 1873 Springfield and the 1873 Winchester. I doubt that any handgun would,be,in the running!

He definitely has a great setup there. The top Pistol is an actual colt, I think and the bottom pistol looks like an 1873 Cattlemans from Uberti. Just a guess though.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
He definitely has a great setup there. The top Pistol is an actual colt, I think and the bottom pistol looks like an 1873 Cattlemans from Uberti. Just a guess though.

Correct. Well, very very close.

Top: 1894 Colt, black powder frame.

Bottom: Cimarron Firearms (Uberti) 1873 repro. Old Model (black powder) frame. Even has the bullseye ejector rod head. I can shoot smokeless powder ammo in that one.

I'd like to get an S&W Schofield No. 3 repro, a Wells Fargo Model with the 5" barrel in .45 Colt. I can still get one locally for under $1,000. I picked up several boxes of .45 Colt ammo when I got the Cimarron.

My companion over a lot of trail. :001_smile Possibly out of Helfricht's shop or protégé, but obviously not from the Master, and ivory added probably 20th century, not factory but very well done. Re-plated the cylinder, and thought occasionally of re-plating the rest, hammer and screws replaced more than once, but I kind of like the old gal the way she is, and we've sort of grown old together.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My companion over a lot of trail. :001_smile Possibly out of Helfricht's shop or protégé, but obviously not from the Master, and ivory added probably 20th century, not factory but very well done. Re-plated the cylinder, and thought occasionally of re-plating the rest, hammer and screws replaced more than once, but I kind of like the old gal the way she is, and we've sort of grown old together.
I wouldn’t change a thing.

Gun that won the West; which "West" and at which point in time and under what circumstances? New Frontier to the Ohio Valley, flintlock & percussion rifles. The Great Plains, percussion & cartridge rifles. Final Indian Wars & outlaw eradication & territories to statehood, cartridge rifle & handguns. IMO bulldog handguns were guns that won the "most likely to be owned my settlers moving west and I need a gun now" slot.

Top Bottom