What's new

Arko isn't even close to as bad as people made out

Just used the Arko Shave stick for the first time today. I've read and seen that it is supposed to have a horrific scent that would turn most people off if it wasn't so affordable. It was fine. It's basically a somewhat lemony-talcum powder-light incense/ash scent and is very reminiscent of barbershops which offered shaves to me. It hardly makes a 'stench' or is so repulsive that it has the mythology so many have given. Its just an ok scent. Pretty much anything that is cheap but needs a scent smells like this tbh. It's not my favourite scent granted, but its very usable and the quality of the shave when used is excellent. Maybe it can go off? I wouldn't be surprised if this stuff sits on shelves for god knows how long before someone buys it...I kept it in a glad wrap bag and its all good. You can't smell it in the bathroom anymore and this was like 5 min after the shave. I'm just confused honestly, I was expecting it to be sooo much worse. Are there different qualities or versions for export? That might be it but otherwise Its very good and great value for the money. If you haven't tried it because of the scent, give it a go. Its certainly not as bad as people make out imo.

Just used the Arko Shave stick for the first time today. I've read and seen that it is supposed to have a horrific scent that would turn most people off if it wasn't so affordable. It was fine. It's basically a somewhat lemony-talcum powder-light incense/ash scent and is very reminiscent of barbershops which offered shaves to me. It hardly makes a 'stench' or is so repulsive that it has the mythology so many have given. Its just an ok scent. Pretty much anything that is cheap but needs a scent smells like this tbh. It's not my favourite scent granted, but its very usable and the quality of the shave when used is excellent. Maybe it can go off? I wouldn't be surprised if this stuff sits on shelves for god knows how long before someone buys it...I kept it in a glad wrap bag and its all good. You can't smell it in the bathroom anymore and this was like 5 min after the shave. I'm just confused honestly, I was expecting it to be sooo much worse. Are there different qualities or versions for export? That might be it but otherwise Its very good and great value for the money. If you haven't tried it because of the scent, give it a go. Its certainly not as bad as people make out imo.
I agree. I've used Arko for years along with other popular brands and as well as artisan products. In terms of performance, Arko is great. Superb. No doubt about it. As far as scent is concerned, I have no issues. Some hate the scent and others tolerate it. Scent has never been an issue. I love Arko and it works great for me and I'm sure for many others. From my picture, you can tell it's one of my favorites [emoji23]
proxy.php

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

The scent is very basic citronella. As this scent is used in a variety of products from cleaning to mosquito candles and urinal pucks etc. everybody connects to it with something from his past. Be it a location or situation, good or bad but that’s how memories work and scents are one of the strongest memories that you can have.

For me it’s soft soap for institutional floor cleaning somewhere in the early 80ies :c9:

I think people just regurgitate the whole arko-scent thing at tis point. Most people complaining about how bad it is probably smelled it a long time ago, but tey just regurgitate what everyone else is saying about the scent.
Arkos scent is very mild I think, and smells just like a soap should.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The scent is very basic citronella. As this scent is used in a variety of products from cleaning to mosquito candles and urinal pucks etc. everybody connects to it with something from his past. Be it a location or situation, good or bad but that’s how memories work and scents are one of the strongest memories that you can have.

For me it’s soft soap for institutional floor cleaning somewhere in the early 80ies :c9:
I think you absolutely nailed it. By its nature of being a scent prevalent in many things, we go back to a time we smelled it and created a memory with that smell. Can be a good or bad memory, but then Arko gets lauded or punished based on that memory.

It smells like strong soap to me. There are scents I find far more pleasant and some on are shaving soaps that don't work as well.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Scent is a very individual thing. One of our very knowledgeable members lists Eucris as a favorite. Many good reviews, so I purchased a sample (thank God). On me it smelled like something rotten died and was well into the act of decomposing. After 30 minutes I tried washing it off with three different soaps - unsuccessfully. It was making me sick to my stomach. I considered using a belt sander on my wrist.

So something you find unoffensive won't necessarily be as unassuming to a different nose.

Everything is relative. Shave with another soap or cream that is downright magical and relaxing to your nose and Arko will suddenly become very stinky. I speak from experience, but admit to having a very sensitive nose.

I personally like the subtle post shave scent of Arko....once I’m done shaving. It smells like clean laundry to me. But during the shave itself......forget about it. Makes my eyes water!

Top Bottom