What did you reload today?

300 9mm for a pistol match tomorrow!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those Acme?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
50 new Starline brass. Took 'em outside to prime...

full

Then listened to some talk radio while getting some work done.

full

It's the usual Red Dot, Acme SWC HiTek load.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Saw a great article on another website about using TrailBoss powder in milsurps. I was doing this years ago in 7.62x51, making up the data. Hard to blow up a milsurp, and THEN, it's TB!

They took nine grains of TB, the amount that fits a 30-30, and ran it through about 10 common milsurps - Mosin, SMLE, Fr7, etc. Cast bullets, no gaschecks. Almost all did very well!

I also ran it through 8mm Mauser, with a Loverin cast slug, though I gaschecked it.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I just want some powder, boolits and primers!

Scott, I bought those Acmes only 2-3 months ago, they're making more... Just check back. The brass, too, come to think!

Powder and primers... I know. Another story. Maybe ask at your local range. Ours has a bulletin board, I hate looking at it - somebody is always selling some gun I need.

AA

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I just want done powder, boolits and primers!

Primers are the biggest problem, then powders. Bullets can be had, but one must be checking the sites that sell them very often. I was lucky to score a few times .45 acp and 38 bullets from Precision Delta - checked their site a few times a day. When bullets become available, they sell out very fast, sometimes within hours. I am running low on 9 mm, and these seem to be the ones that are mostly used in reloading. One thing I noticed was that the price for .45 acp went up a good 25% from September to October!!
I think I am set for a few years with primers and powders.

And this is why casters love their molds... And sizing dies.

AA
I swear the only thing that's kept me from getting in to casting is not being able to get a reliable line on scrap lead. There's only one automotive shop in my small town and they told me that fewer and fewer wheel weights are made with actual lead these days. I always figured if I had to go out and buy lead it probably wouldn't be worth doing after I factored in my time to do the casting.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I swear the only thing that's kept me from getting in to casting is not being able to get a reliable line on scrap lead. There's only one automotive shop in my small town and they told me that fewer and fewer wheel weights are made with actual lead these days. I always figured if I had to go out and buy lead it probably wouldn't be worth doing after I factored in my time to do the casting.

Bought my first lead melter at a yard sale. Thought I'd make a few for blackpowder shooting.

Then a friend dumped 30-40lbs that were from an art class, believe it or not. Got the Lee bottom dripper.

Then a hoarder dude died suddenly, helped his sister clean the garage. Another 100 lbs...

Tin, pewter you scrounge from junktique stores, or buy off eBay. Or Rotometals...

AA

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Spent time unloading today ... pulling bullets from a couple hundred rounds of Franklin Armory, 1960 Match .30-06 reloads that I had picked up at a gun show way back before I had begun rolling my own.

While the majority of the rounds appeared normal, included in the lot were a number of armor-piercing cartridges that were oddly crimped below the cannelure @ the AP bullet’s channel & others that were loaded-up using 110gr. .30 Carbine bullets?! As I pulled the latter, I discovered that they were loaded with two different powders ... one, looked akin to AA #9 & the other, was a 4895-looking, extruded powder.

AP bullets & case

.30 Carbine bullets

Also included with the reloads was this solitary, unfired 1942 Denver Ordnance milsurp cartridge that at one time, appears to have been chambered in a Garand ... at peak production, the Remington-run Denver Ordnance plant churned out 6.2 million rounds of .30-06 every 24-hours!

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Hornady 285gr ELD-Ms landed last night so I loaded up a ladder test starting at 96gr (estimated 2760FPS) and going to 105gr (.2gr over max and estimated at 3944FPS). Hopefully a nice wide node will present itself and be at the upper reaches of the charge weights (I need the velocity! :lol: ) Tomorrow we shall see!
5F01A5DA-5EE7-4906-BD19-8EF9CCAD96B9.jpeg

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Some 100+ .45 acp today, but I also filled 9 tubes with small pistol primers, 6 tubes with large. They were Win and Rem, and both do not work at all with Vibra Prime, so all primers were picked up by hand. It's a pita, but this keeps me reloading for a few weeks....
Good news is that Fed mag primers fill OK with the vibra prime.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
That's insane!

A little I guess. Found a low speed (ish) and a high speed (ish) node. I think I'll just put it at 103.5grs and be done! 103grs was 2860 and 104grs was 2859. BTW zero pressure signs at 105.0!

285 ELD-M ladder.PNG

Grouping wasn't bad either with the crono hanging off the barrel. Time to see what they'll go without any influence...

Style points awarded for that custom loading block!

AA

Thanks, man! MK Machining does nice work.
Come on ... those are far too purty to shoot!

But shoot them I did! :lol:

Top Bottom