What's new

Pepper, pepper, pepper

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Ground up some peppers a bit ago...couple of poblanos from the store I let turn red and dry out naturally, serrano from sister-in-laws garden I dried out, and a dried habanero from my garden. That habanero is still HOT!

1604614127156.png

I wonder what is in store in the next few days.

1604614183346.png

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Use that powder sparingly! :devil:

I used a food dehydrator earlier in the year, when the Datil peppers came in all at once.

Glad I did; the plants went underwater in a hurricane. 4/16 lived, but they won't produce again this year. :sad:

AA

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Any chance you might post the recipe?

Already did...several years ago. I just made a half recipe this time.

Copy and paste cheat.

Variations from the original recipe in parentheses, and the original directions had left out the step of adding the comino.

Original San Antonio Chili

2 pounds beef shoulder, cut into ½-inch cubes (1 3/4 lbs. chuck roast, boned and trimmed plus 1/4 lb. of trimmed fat, cubed)
1 pound pork shoulder, cut into ½-inch cubes (1 lb. boned and trimmed pork chops, 4 of 'em, cubed)
¼ cup suet (1/4 cup vegetable oil)
¼ cup pork fat (all of the trimmed pork chop fat)
3 medium-sized onions, chopped (2 large onions, chopped)
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 quart water
4 ancho chiles
1 serrano chile
6 dried red chiles (6 jalapenos, dried in dehydrator for 24 hours)
1 tablespoon comino seeds, freshly ground (bottled)
2 tablespoons Mexican oregano
Salt to taste

Place lightly floured beef and pork cubes in with suet (oil) and pork fat in heavy chili pot and cook quickly, stirring often. Add onions and garlic and cook until they are tender and limp. Add water to mixture and simmer slowly (covered) while preparing chiles. Remove stems and seeds from chiles and chop very finely. Grind chiles in molcajete (food processor) and add (comino seeds) and oregano with salt to mixture. Simmer another 2 hours (covered). Remove suet casing and skim off some fat (didn't remove anything). Never cook frijoles with chiles and meat. Serve as separate dish.

Original recipe from historical society...

Last edited:
Already did...several years ago. I just made a half recipe this time.

Copy and paste cheat.

Variations from the original recipe in parentheses, and the original directions had left out the step of adding the comino.

Original San Antonio Chili

2 pounds beef shoulder, cut into ½-inch cubes (1 3/4 lbs. chuck roast, boned and trimmed plus 1/4 lb. of trimmed fat, cubed)
1 pound pork shoulder, cut into ½-inch cubes (1 lb. boned and trimmed pork chops, 4 of 'em, cubed)
¼ cup suet (1/4 cup vegetable oil)
¼ cup pork fat (all of the trimmed pork chop fat)
3 medium-sized onions, chopped (2 large onions, chopped)
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 quart water
4 ancho chiles
1 serrano chile
6 dried red chiles (6 jalapenos, dried in dehydrator for 24 hours)
1 tablespoon comino seeds, freshly ground (bottled)
2 tablespoons Mexican oregano
Salt to taste

Place lightly floured beef and pork cubes in with suet (oil) and pork fat in heavy chili pot and cook quickly, stirring often. Add onions and garlic and cook until they are tender and limp. Add water to mixture and simmer slowly (covered) while preparing chiles. Remove stems and seeds from chiles and chop very finely. Grind chiles in molcajete (food processor) and add (comino seeds) and oregano with salt to mixture. Simmer another 2 hours (covered). Remove suet casing and skim off some fat (didn't remove anything). Never cook frijoles with chiles and meat. Serve as separate dish.

Original recipe from historical society...

Awesome. Thank you.

Top Bottom