What's new

Hyaluronic Acid Is Magic For My Post Shave Skin | It's A Game Changer

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I use HA after every shave.

After shaving, while my skin is damp, I apply the HA. If my skin is still actually wet I dry it in a half hearted manner first. I don't want my skin dry nor do I want it wet. I want my skin damp.

I use about a dropper full of HA. Less is okay. More is okay. It's a slimy, easy to spread everywhere gel. If there is extra on my hands I rub it up my arms because that area gets dry (for me), too; the HA has help my forearm dryness, too, and not just by a little bit.

View attachment 1178430
⬅ This is one of post shave kits.​

After the HA I apply moisturizer next, letting the HA dry a bit first. After the moisturizer has dried some and before it's 100% dry I apply my aftershave splash.

Most days I use either the splash above ⬆ or this one ➡.

As far as I know all splashes work great with HA and a moisturizer.​
View attachment 1178431

Sometimes I shake it up and apply a splash after the HA and before the moisturizer. I used to use just HA and a splash, but found my results were slightly better using both HA and a moisturizer.

There's only one rule: HA is always first and always applied to damp skin.

If my skin is especially dry feeling I might wash my face in the evening and then go with a second application of HA and moisturizer. I don't have to do this very often (but only because of using HA after every shave).

Since I began using HA my shaves have improved, the comfort level of my skin has improved, and not just a little bit, and I'm far more handsome. A small bottle lasts a couple of months or longer, and the refill bottle is an even better deal (except it doesn't have the very useful eye dropper, so keep the small bottle and refill it).

That's all I know about it, but I decided it was time for an update on how I use the product.

View attachment 1178433

One of the above statements might cause a certain character's nose to grow, but mine is as large as it always has been.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Another firm believer in HA here.

I mix a very small dollop of CeraVe Moisturizing Cream with a dropper (+/-) of HA in my palms and apply to my face.

Works wonderfully.

After shaving, while my skin is damp, I apply the HA. If my skin is still actually wet I dry it in a half hearted manner first. I don't want my skin dry nor do I want it wet. I want my skin damp.

I use about a dropper full of HA. Less is okay. More is okay. It's a slimy, easy to spread everywhere gel. If there is extra on my hands I rub it up my arms because that area gets dry (for me), too; the HA has help my forearm dryness, too, and not just by a little bit.

View attachment 1178430

After the HA I apply moisturizer next, letting the HA dry a bit first. After the moisturizer has dried some and before it's 100% dry I apply my aftershave splash.

View attachment 1178431

Sometimes I shake it up and apply a splash after the HA and before the moisturizer. I used to use just HA and a splash, but found my results were slightly better using both HA and a moisturizer.

If my skin is especially dry feeling I might wash my face in the evening and then go with a second application of HA and moisturizer. I don't have to do this very often (but only because of using HA after every shave).

Since I began using HA my shaves have improved, the comfort level of my skin has improved, and not just a little bit, and I'm far more handsome. A small bottle lasts a couple of months or longer, and the refill bottle is an even better deal (except it doesn't have the very useful eye dropper, so keep the small bottle and refill it).

That's all I know about it, but I decided it was time for an update on how I use the product.

View attachment 1178433

One of the above statements might cause a certain character's nose to grow, but mine is as large as it always has been.

Happy shaves,

Jim
That’s the way I use it. Damp face, HA then moisturizer.

View attachment 1178430

View attachment 1178431

View attachment 1178433

Happy shaves,

Jim
One question that I have is whether all hyaluronic acid products are the same? I’ve been using the product in the photo for a few months now, and I bought it from Amazon.
9CC8A8D8-3B0E-4286-9488-0E3B6F781DD6.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Good question. I can't answer it with any authority. I've been told it's possible to purchase HA powder and thus mix and bottle it yourself, but it's not something I've explored.

I'll be interested in the answers.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
According to my OP I've been using HA for just about exactly a year.

Just for the record here's how much I've used.

I began by purchasing one of these ➡. The dropper makes it very useful, so I refill it.

I now have the same bottle about half full, maybe 2/3 full. Too lazy to be certain. Could be
40%.​
HyaluronicAcidForFaces.480.jpg
HyaluronicAcid.PumpBottle.1-7-20.480.JPG

I've refilled the little bottle ⬆ several times. Today, when doing so I emptied the larger bottle, the pump bottle.

Ordered another large bottle.

The large bottle is 8 oz. The small bottle is 2 oz. So, I've purchased 10 oz. I have about 1 oz remaining, so...

The bottom line is I seem to have used about 9 ounces in a full year, and invested about $55 in my skin. Money very well spent especially compared to many other expenses encouraged by my enabling friends.

1605654385255.png

This could be my best shaving purchase. Yes, there are serious contenders, but just saying...

Newbie question: how do you use this along with an aftershave splash?
Do you skip on the aftershave entirely, or apply the aftershave after the hyaluronic acid has had time to fully sink into the skin? (I assume this will dry your skin out again if it is alcohol-based, so a bad idea?)
Or do you apply the aftershave first for its astringent and antiseptic properties, rinse your face a few minutes later and then apply the hyaluronic acid afterwards?

Apologies if this question has already been answered, I skimmed through this thread but didn't find anything.

Newbie question: how do you use this along with aftershave?
Do you skip on the aftershave entirely, or apply the aftershave after the hyaluronic acid has had time to fully sink into the skin?
Or do you apply the aftershave first for its astringent and antiseptic properties, rinse your face a few minutes later and then apply the hyaluronic acid afterwards?

Apologies if this question has already been answered, I skimmed through this thread but didn't find anything.
Instead of aftershave, I use an alum block for its astringent properties. I then wash it off after a minute and then apply the hyaluronic acid followed by shaving balm. After they have had time to soak in, I then apply a moisturizer.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Newbie question: how do you use this along with an aftershave splash?
Do you skip on the aftershave entirely, or apply the aftershave after the hyaluronic acid has had time to fully sink into the skin? (I assume this will dry your skin out again if it is alcohol-based, so a bad idea?)

The skin should be damp when HA is applied (that is, damp with water, not damp with an alcohol based splash).

I apply HA to my damp but not wet post shave skin. Usually I let the HA dry a little before applying anything else (like a minute), but if I'm in a hurry the HA dries less than a minute.

HyaluronicAcid.Cremo.BayRum.480.8-22-20.JPG

Then I apply either my splash or my face moisturizer.
  • Usually I apply the face moisturizer, let it dry a bit, and then apply the splash last.
  • Sometimes I reverse it, and apply the splash, let it dry a bit, and then apply the moisturizer.
  • The HA is alway first. The other two are always second and third.
I'm not saying how I do it is right, but it makes sense to me and it works for me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Pure hyaluronic acid without any water/moisture is actually very drying, sort of like glycerin.

I have been using a moisturizer that has HA added to it for a post-shave, starting with a splash and then applying the HA-moisturizer after the alcohol splash has died down. It feels good and I think is helping my skin.

Never use a pure HA product without moisture, though; it will pull moisture from your skin if you do.

Good question. I can't answer it with any authority. I've been told it's possible to purchase HA powder and thus mix and bottle it yourself, but it's not something I've explored.

I'll be interested in the answers.

Happy shaves,

Jim
My wife is a chemist engineer,
used to work in cosmetic fabrication .
One thing I learned from her is that almost any pure HA product that is in jel form is
made from medium molecular weight HA ,which does not penetrate skin and mainly hydrates the top layers of skin .

She makes for me a special after shave /anti-ageing water based serum using these materials:
• Neroli Hydrosol
• Allantoin
• Very Low Molecular Weight Sodium Hyaluronate ( in powder form )
• Low Molecular Weight Sodium
Hyaluronate ( in powder form)
• Glycerine
• Matrixyl 3000 peptide complex
• Matrixyl Morphomics
peptide
and
• Optiphen BSB-W or
Optiphen BD
as conservation agents .

VLMW and LMW HA penetrate the skin easily and hydrate the
deepest layers of it .

I use the wifey’s “potion” for
almost a year by now ..Simply
amazing !
The effect can not be described by words.Only to be felt and seen .

I don't often recommend specific products but this been working really well for me over the past couple of months. I don't apply it immediately post-shave but rather at night, after washing my face. About $15 a bottle bottle (LGT Amazon).

HA.jpg

It contains retinol ( Vit. A ) .
Retinol is a very powerful anti-ageing and anti-wrinkle agent,
(so says the “other half” ...) but
you should always apply a sunscreen if you are exposed to sunlight the next day,while you are using skincare products that contain retinol or retinoids .
That’s what she said ,when she took a look at the contents .

Last edited:
It contains retinol (Vit. A). Retinol is a very powerful anti-ageing and anti-wrinkle agent, (so says the “other half”...) but you should always apply a sunscreen if you are exposed to sunlight the next day, while you are using skincare products that contain retinol or retinoids. That’s what she said, when she took a look at the contents.
Sunscreen is a must for me anyway living in Southern California. Not too mention shaving a sunburned face is pretty much the epitome of "suck" in my (thankfully limited) experience.

@SCh5 - thanks for sharing! And can you give more details on the process, like grams or ratios and such, please

My wife is a chemist engineer,
used to work in cosmetic fabrication .
One thing I learned from her is that almost any pure HA product that is in jel form is
made from medium molecular weight HA ,which does not penetrate skin and mainly hydrates the top layers of skin .

She makes for me a special after shave /anti-ageing water based serum using these materials:
• Neroli Hydrosol
• Allantoin
• Very Low Molecular Weight Sodium Hyaluronate ( in powder form )
• Low Molecular Weight Sodium
Hyaluronate ( in powder form)
• Glycerine
• Matrixyl 3000 peptide complex
• Matrixyl Morphomics
peptide
and
• Optiphen BSB-W or
Optiphen BD
as conservation agents .

VLMW and LMW HA penetrate the skin easily and hydrate the
deepest layers of it .

I use the wifey’s “potion” for
almost a year by now ..Simply
amazing !
The effect can not be described by words.Only to be felt and seen .

100 gr “Post Shave Bliss Serum” contain:

•91,55 gr ( 91,55% w/w ) Neroli Hydrosol
•4000 mg / 4 gr ( 4% w/w ) Matrixyl 3000™
•2000 mg / 2gr ( 2% w/w ) Matrixyl Morphomics
•1000 mg / 1gr ( 1% w/w ) Glycerine
•500 mg / 0,5 gr ( 0,5% w/w ) Allantoin
•400 mg / 0,4 gr ( 0,4% w/w ) Optiphen BSB-W { or alternatively Bios Control Synergy PSB }
•300 mg / 0,3 gr ( 0,3% w/w ) Optiphen BD {or alternatively Geogard 221 or alternatively Bios Control Synergy BAS }
•150 mg / 0,15 gr ( 0,15% w/w ) LMW (1MDa) Sodium Hyaluronate
•100 mg / 0,1 gr ( 0,1% w/w ) Very Low Molecular Weight (10-150kDa ) Sodium Hyaluronate

Notes:
•All equipment and containers
used,have to be disinfected with Isopropyl Alcohol ,prior to manufacturing the serum.
•Serum pH is ~ 5.5
No pH adjustment or buffering is needed.
•At temperatures lower than
25 C ,allantoin will form some
sediment.No worries !
• Use within 1 year from day of mixing.
•Preservatives used are certified
for organic/natural cosmetics .
No phenoxyethanol contained.
•Always apply on damp skin.
After the serum has been absorbed ,lightly massage skin with some cold water.
Do not rinse!
Let the skin to dry and then apply the asb and/or the asl .

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have some Hyaluronic acid and really did not notice a lot of significant change on a damp wet face while I was testing months ago and stopped using for some time.
For some reason I added only a (2 drops) to my Nivea balm for the last few days and really noticed a nice change in smoothness while just testing. There is a large change in face feel with Nivea balm that I have used for years.
Kind of early in the testing but it looks promising IMO if you have some HA not being used. I do not get my balms near my eyes for what ever reason. But the beard area there is a lot of hydration increase and a soft feel to the skin, thought it was worth noting.
81zafpd-pAL._SL1500_.jpg

Lately I’ve been using hyaluronic acid in place of hair conditioner. Okay, I’ve got lots of white hair, to my waist, and I slather on lots of hyaluronic acid into my damp hair after washing. I brush it all through my hair and massage it into my scalp. I’ve been happy with the results so far.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have some Hyaluronic acid and really did not notice a lot of significant change on a damp wet face while I was testing months ago and stopped using for some time.
For some reason I added only a (2 drops) to my Nivea balm for the last few days and really noticed a nice change in smoothness while just testing. There is a large change in face feel with Nivea balm that I have used for years.
I agree. I used HA twice per day for months, applying it to damp skin and following up with a moisturiser as instructed by LOTH, and saw no real benefit so discontinued use. I added the remaining HA, about 30ml, to the 400ml moisturiser and found it an improvement, but not enough to purchase again.

Top Bottom