What's new

Happy Fathers Day, gents.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
No kids here but from my old dog Shorty I got some chocolates, a new watch and a cheapy shaving brush/shaving cream/aftershave balm set from the Reject Shop.

I scored a TI razor in need of love. It should arrive this Thursday because it's coming from the NT and it takes almost 14 days to travel that far (only if Aust Post); Tuesday it's in Strathfield and is going to take 2 days to get to my suburb! I could drive there & pick it up in 2 hours.
TI fathersday2020.jpg

Last edited:
Nice razor, @Straight up.

I am confused about TI's use of Le Grelot. I have seen TI razors with thumb notches that look like @Straight up's TI, but I have also seen Le Grelot's without thumb notches. What does Le Grelot mean and when does TI use Le Grelot?

Legion

Staff member
Nice razor, @Straight up.

I am confused about TI's use of Le Grelot. I have seen TI razors with thumb notches that look like @Straight up's TI, but I have also seen Le Grelot's without thumb notches. What does Le Grelot mean and when does TI use Le Grelot?
OK, I could be wrong here, so feel free to correct me if I am.

As I understand it Le Grelot was a seperate French razor manufacturer that went under. TI bought out all their inventory and probably machinery, and so on.

Now, I don't know if they own the name, so when you see a Le Grelot it is probably TI assembling and selling the blades that they acquired from LG back then, which is why they have the TI style scales.

There is an old thread which explains "... TI has however started to make blades resembling this LG blade using steel which they forged. They are calling these Le Grelot Likes or Le Grelot Form ..."

Thanks for the explanations. I later found Thiers Issard Le Grelot 6/8 Horn - https://www.classicshaving.com/products/thiers-issard-le-grelot-6-8-horn-1-dark-1-blonde, which jogged my memory about reading about TI using blanks it purchased from Le Grelot.

I also noticed that some TI sellers periodically offer reproductions of the TI Le Grelot thumb notch razors:
I also see a bunch on Thiers-Issard Straight Razor | The Invisible Edge - https://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/our-brands/5-thiers-issard.

I seem to be developing a bad case of Thumb Notch RAD, and it sure looks like acquiring mint condition classics like a TI Le Grelot with a thumb notch, and a C.V. Heljestrand MK 32 may just not be realistic.

Perhaps I should focus on getting a new Ralf Aust or TI. A Koraat or Wacker may be more than I want to spend.

If only I had started using a straight back in 1980.

Top Bottom