What's new

Any soaps you won't buy again?

Southern Witchcrafts Druantia and Stirling Gentleman. Great performing soaps but the scents aren’t that good. Also seems like I get a coconut scent from the coconut milk in the Stirling Gentleman

not buying this again......

20201007_162732.jpg

not !!!!!!

first time smelling Hallows. should have bought 3!!!!!

camo

Stirling’s Texas on Fire. It smells like a wet ashtray to my nose. Same for Chiseled Face’s Cedar & Spice. They’re just not for me.

Disclaimer: the artisan ones listed were based on small samples only unless otherwise noted.

Won't buy again:
Proraso Green - 1st wet shaving cream, decent performance, enjoy the smell but for now enjoying others much more.
MDC Nature - decent performance, enjoy the scent, think it will last me 20+ years so no need to buy more.
Cella decent not great
Declaration Grooming - multiple samples, didn't perform better than other soaps I have and I didn't find a scent that I loved.
Catties bubbles - 2 samples, fine performance, but didn't knock my socks off on performance or skin feel
B&M reserve base - multiple samples, prefer the main glissant base more
Murphy and McNeil - multiple samples, didn't perform better than other soaps I have and I didn't find a scent that I loved.
Zingari Man - multiple samples, didn't perform better than other soaps I have and I didn't find a scent that I loved.
Stirling - multiple samples, didn't perform better than other soaps I have and I didn't find a scent that I loved.
Wholly Kaw - I have multiple samples and two tubs + matching toner - I'm on the fence on these for performance, post shave and scents.

Also I need to chill on samples / purchases or I may drive my family crazy with the "smell this one, what do you think?" action :ladysman:

OK - I'll bite. Primarily to Subvert The Form...

1) Erasmic bowl
2) Palmolive stick
3) Arko stick

...but only because I liked them all to the extent that - short of immortality - the stock I have should outlast me and I won't need to buy them again unless I get a much bigger cupboard.

But that might be a better solution.

Arko
Williams
Theres just better soaps out there that I enjoy.

Dominica bay rum worse soap ever, smell was putrid and performance was just as bad.

PdP - Left my face dry
RR WTP - Same as above
B&M Seville - Great scent and performance, but not significantly better than alternatives with a lower or similar price point and more product

The answer to this thread, for me, is more what I would buy rather than what I won’t buy.

I’ve tried a lot of soaps and creams; some good and some not so good. What I do find is that I keep coming back to DR Harris almond shave soap so that is pretty much all I use anymore.

All Stirling.

I recently made my first purchase from Stirling, several samples of different products, all in different scents. Love the performance of the shave soaps, but I chose poorly on the scents. I'm reasonably confident they make some I'd like, since I don't think I'm that hard to please, but it's so hard to know what to expect from the descriptions. And I'm a sucker for lyrical descriptions. I need to re remember that I'm happiest with soap that smells mostly like soap. E.g., MWF. And even Arko.

I will probably not buy glycerine based soaps again.
I love their ease of use, and there are great scents available.

But I have decided to go hard soaps as much as possible.
They last so much longer than croaps and creams.

Reactions: ike
Arko, because it burns my face. It's a shame, because it's cheap, works really well, and I actually like the lemony scent!

Williams, because it's just not worth the effort to get it to lather properly. The only thing it has going for it is the price. If you like it, great, but I'm done with it.

Godrej, because it smells terrible.

Here's what immediately comes to mind:

1. Haslinger Schafmilch - hated it, tried a number of times, no love
2. All TOBS (soaps, creams)
3. DR Harris Marlborough - dry, ashy scent. Suffocating.
4. All proraso
4. L'Occitane Cade - great scent, performance could be better
5. MWF - not so great after all. Still have one unopened, going to keep that in reserve though
6. Cella - like the scent, burns my face, not too great performance
7. Mühle everything
8. Wholly kaw - had one sampler, was not impressed
9. Palmolive - cheap, but let's face it: bad
10. Noble Otter - this one is a shame. Absolutely love the artwork and the scents of my soaps, but performance is seriously lacking. To the point that I'm considering scooping out the NO Hamami soap and to replace it, in the jar, with Arko.
11. La Toja - burns my face, otherwise great

Last edited:
Wholly Kow Tempest -

Straight from the throne of Zeus himself, comes Tempest, a mix of Ozone, Rain, Sea Weed, and Dirt. This is the how we imagine the air around the King of the Sky and Thunder smells like.

I got it from a fellow member on BST and I can see why. It has a terrible stink and feel like your face has been stuffed in to some bad dirt..its a remarkable copy but I dont think I Like it.

At first I thought it had gone bad and funky, but reading the website description confirmed the smell.

I am surprised its still on sale.

Top Bottom