What's new

To scuttle or not to scuttle

Read yesterday about using a scuttle, and it would be wonderful to have warm lather. This morning I left my mug that I soak my brush in in the sink of warm water, in between lathers I would put my brush in the mug, it worked great, it gave me warm lather for the whole shave.

I've been looking at some beautiful ceramic scuttles myself lately--might have to put one on my Christmas list. But I've got a nice ceramic lathering dish that I can float in my sink filled with hot water, and this probably does at least as good a job. As discussed in some other current thread, I think a scuttle would be great especially for shaving in a location where you're not standing over that hot water sink. But I still want one.

I've been looking at some beautiful ceramic scuttles myself lately--might have to put one on my Christmas list. But I've got a nice ceramic lathering dish that I can float in my sink filled with hot water, and this probably does at least as good a job. As discussed in some other current thread, I think a scuttle would be great especially for shaving in a location where you're not standing over that hot water sink. But I still want one.
I agree completely and may purchase a scuttle in the future

I used to have a scuttle, but it broke (it was ceramic, and I dropped it while I was in the process of moving)
I never bought a new one, after it broke I realized that I didn't miss out on much, I usually do a 2 pass shave, and I find as long as the lather doesn't get ice cold for the 2nd pass then I'm fine.
So I would not get a scuttle again, but that does not mean you shouldn't obviously.
Best thing to do is to try one out, and see if you like it or not..

My grandparents collected antique scuttles, so I’m just continuing the tradition. I rarely find myself using one.

Tuttle.jpg

Whoops... You said Skuttle, not Tuttle.

My feedback is much like @Atlantic59 I have a grand scuttle, the last few years it has been holding spare reading glasses - you can't have too many sets ...in the bathroom. But, what I do is in scuttle spirit, if you will. I used to just let the hot water run, then I noted how much water is 'x' cups/pints/quarts a minute. Now I run to hot, close the basin stopper and place my lather bowl with the apothecary's cup in it and under the running faucet. I let the bowl fill until the lip of the cup is submerged and the entire bowl is full of nice warm water. Into the cup, my razor and brush soak for a few moments while I shower or just wash my face. I'll then lift the cup and leave it full with brush and blade. Removing the brush I'll give it a quick short shake, pickup 15 seconds of soft lathering from today's soap. Tip and drain the lathering bowl, lather, and start the shave. The razor comes out, does its job, gets rinsed in the bowl water, and placed in the apothecary between passes. The lather bowl tends to stay warm through the four pass shave and thus so does the lather coming to my face. Between passes I'll rinse with a small splash of water from the bowl, just to spread the remaining soap on my face around and get that nice wet slickness before applying freshly whipped lather for the next pass. Finally, the bowl water is there to rinse my face well before my against the grain pass and clean up afterward.

So, ya, my proper scuttle? Not so much anymore. My huge bathroom sink "scuttle?" Ohhhhya. ( Besides I really don't have room for the electric tea/coffee pot to heat the water properly to scuttle pre-shaving temperature and tap is set to 102 throughout the house to protect the sensitive people - who are no longer with me... huh? maybe it's time to rethink that? )

it's about time to switch to the scuttle, but I just got a Captain's Choice heavyweight copper bowl and it's been so much fun. Plus it warms quickly in my palm.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I've been using a scuttle every day in the colder weather (and sometimes in the warmer weather) for many years now. I have a Georgetown G12. It's small enough to hold in my left hand while I make the lather.

My tap water is pretty hot - too hot, really (130's) and it's more than hot enough for the scuttle. Each pass the lather gets a little warmer. Lovely, really.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I got a monster soup mug and a small ceramic bowl that fits inside it. Wanted to try on the scuttle idea before committing to one. Mostly enjoyable, although I have a patch on the right side that is moderately easy to irritate and hot lather just blows it up, I discovered. So I want back to cooler lather and also paid a bit more attention to technique over that patch and it's been good.

But there is nothing quite like slapping a big knot full of warm lather on yer cold noggin when it's the middle of winter outside.

Might go back to it again this winter, we'll see. I just use a bowl.

O.H.

I don’t know how I got along without a scuttle. My water is set to 135°F and the lather stays warm long enough to do three passes even though I only do two. If I ever decide to upgrade its going to be a Moss Scuttle.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
No scuttle. I do have a handcrafted bowl I fill with hot water to soak my brush and go back to for more water while building a lather on my face. Letting the loaded brush rest in the warm empty bowl has been working for my two pass shaves. It’s hit and miss on the warmth factor, but does add something I think. I definitely see the appeal of a scuttle but am satisfied with my setup for now.

The scuttle concept is definitely tempting, especially on a cold AM!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

In practice, I am a ‘minimalist’ simply face-lathering my soaps (limiting the clutter LOTH dislikes).

I've been using a scuttle every day in the colder weather (and sometimes in the warmer weather) for many years now. I have a Georgetown G12. It's small enough to hold in my left hand while I make the lather.

My tap water is pretty hot - too hot, really (130's) and it's more than hot enough for the scuttle. Each pass the lather gets a little warmer. Lovely, really.
I have the G20. Georgetown Pottery makes good ceramics, good, sturdy, and great ergonomics. Ya, 130'ish is what I'd shoot for when I was preheating and then drain & fill to lather. Took a very 'open' brush to do the job though. Hot lather isn't as easy to muster with a chubby or duke design.

For those who like to keep the lather warm a scuttle is a great accessory.

Once I determined I was a cold water face latherer, I gave mine away.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I have a Dirty Bird brush scuttle. It keep my brush and lather very warm.

Top Bottom