What's new

Great Covers

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I have NEVER cared for Dee Johnstone's guitar sound. Something about it I just find grating. Ruins most tunes for me.
That's too bad. Dee is one of those guitar guys unknown to most casual fans but who is essential to the front man's recognizable sound. A better guitarist than Dee, Martin Barre is another of those out-of-the-limelight guys- despite the distinctiveness of the flute, there's no Jethro Tull sound without Martin. I always thought Dee's best work was around the time of Yellow Brick Road- he totally ripped it up on Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding.

Oh, I do not question his immense gifts. And I do like the studio songs, especially from the era you mentioned. But there is something about listening live (which is what I meant) . . . it just sounds so much "tinnier" if you take my meaning. It's as if, for the live mix, the sound engineer takes what (in the studio) is a subtle accent, and ramps it up so that it obliterates everything else. Like a sauce with too much garlic.

I would pay good money to see these dudes. So much talent.

They did a live stream a few weeks ago where they played Dark Side of the Moon (!!!) for their first set, and then all originals (including stuff from a upcoming album) as their second set. I sent them some cash through Venmo. Well worth it!

Top Bottom