What's new

The Nib Acquisitions 2020

Went a little crazy with Chinese pens lol. Still have a bunch om the way. These are a few that came in recently.

Jinhao 599
20200325_165440.jpg

Jinhao x450
20200325_165404.jpg

Baoer 508
20200327_213044.jpg

Couldn't refuse at the price. Vendor pic so probably way better than actual pen. A parker Super duofold or if you want a parker 17 in black.

s-l300.jpg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I added a brown-black M800 Pelikan fountain pen to my collection, I had waited for two extra months for a BB nib but it proved elusive to get from the US distributor for my supplier (NibSmith) so it came with the ever reliable B nib. It performs as you’d expect and wrote flawlessly on delivery. I do find the brown a warm barrel colour and unique compared to red, green or blue or stressman grey.
Beautiful pen. I have a Pelikan 760 that needs a new nib but Pen Smith doesn’t seem to have them.

Broke down and bought a bottle of Baystate Blue with another Charlie... Already had to use softscrub with bleach on the sink after filling a cartridge with a syringe. Just from rinsing the syringe. Wow. Great color of blue, though.

It's finally here!
159079507443175883689873983247.jpg

My new Kaweco Dia2 in amber. Sorry that the photo isn't great, didn't manage to get a photo while it was still light.

I've already swapped the conventional #5 nib unit out for one that I modified to accept a Pilot #5 SFM nib unit - loving it!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
It's finally here!
View attachment 1106701
My new Kaweco Dia2 in amber. Sorry that the photo isn't great, didn't manage to get a photo while it was still light.

I've already swapped the conventional #5 nib unit out for one that I modified to accept a Pilot #5 SFM nib unit - loving it!
Nice! Looks great. If you don’t mind me asking, did you scavenge the nib from another pen or did you get a hook up for a Pilot replacement nib?

tankerjohn

Broke down and bought a bottle of Baystate Blue with another Charlie... Already had to use softscrub with bleach on the sink after filling a cartridge with a syringe. Just from rinsing the syringe. Wow. Great color of blue, though.
BSB is strong stuff indeed. Enjoy responsibility.

Nice! Looks great. If you don’t mind me asking, did you scavenge the nib from another pen or did you get a hook up for a Pilot replacement nib?

I wish I could get Pilot replacement nibs: this one is off a Custom Heritage 91.

The slightly longer story is that I got the 91 shipped from Japan, but when it got here I found that it felt cheap compared to my Custom Heritage 912. It's just small details, like they've stamped "Pilot" on the clip in very small lettering and the slot in the cap where the clip attaches is larger than the clip so there is this unsightly gap. However, the SFM nib is great and I got a good price, so I'll keep the pen and use the nib on something I like.

It looks a bit odd at the moment because the nib is silver and the trim on the Dia2 is gold. I was always going to replace the nib, because I think the default sport nib looks too small for the pen. So I'm going to order a two-tone bock 076 wide shoulder nib unit. It means the nib won't be stamped "Kaweco", but I like the Bock mountain goat and I figure there's enough logos on the pen as it is.

tankerjohn

I wish I could get Pilot replacement nibs: this one is off a Custom Heritage 91.

The slightly longer story is that I got the 91 shipped from Japan, but when it got here I found that it felt cheap compared to my Custom Heritage 912. It's just small details, like they've stamped "Pilot" on the clip in very small lettering and the slot in the cap where the clip attaches is larger than the clip so there is this unsightly gap. However, the SFM nib is great and I got a good price, so I'll keep the pen and use the nib on something I like.

It looks a bit odd at the moment because the nib is silver and the trim on the Dia2 is gold. I was always going to replace the nib, because I think the default sport nib looks too small for the pen. So I'm going to order a two-tone bock 076 wide shoulder nib unit. It means the nib won't be stamped "Kaweco", but I like the Bock mountain goat and I figure there's enough logos on the pen as it is.
Cool. Glad the Pilot nib fit. I agree about the Kaweco nib being too small. That’s my complaint about the Student as well. Unfortunately, the longer Bock #5 doesn’t under the cap so I’m stuck with the stock nib. Anyway, best of luck with your Dia. Sounds like a great pen.

So this arrived a couple of days ago:
20200614_193729.jpg

It must have taken quite a clout somewhere on its journey (see the top right corner), but fortunately the contents is unharmed:
20200614_194729.jpg

I'll post a review as soon as I get a bit of free time, but my initial opinion is very positive - for one thing it wrote straight out of the box with no adjustment required, and how often do you get to say that these days?

New Lamy Z50 1.1 calligraphy nib. Cant find anyone here in the UK who sells the Z55 MO nib at a reasonable price.

I have been interested in fountain pens for some time and decided to dip my foot into them. I ordered a Waterman Graduate, a converter, and a bottle of ink. Thus far I think the pen writes fine, but I have nothing to base it on.
proxy.php

A bottle of Robert Oster Red Candy, and a free (birthday) random sampler from Goulet Pens - contents of sampler were:
Diamine Blue Pearl, Poppy Red, and Happy Holidays
Pilot Iroshizuki Shin-kai
Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Bordeaux
Robert Oster Black'N'Blue
Monteverde Birthday Cake

Lots of purple and blue tones to try ou. :)

I hadn't bought any pens in maybe a year and a half, but just bought two this month.

The one on the right is my Montblanc Noblesse Oblige, which I've had for years, but it has physical similarities to the new ones, so I thought I'd picture them together.

The one in the middle is a comparatively cheap Chinese pen bought on a whim. It's actually a Faber-Castell Neo. That's a German company, but not all their manufacturing is in Germany. This one has a very easy to overlook "China" tag underneath the top of the pocket clip. Anyway, it's pretty nice, nothing very special, but I had none by this maker, and will get some use out of it. Right now it's loaded with the blue cartridge that came with it, but I also got a converter.

On the left, a Parker 180, made in the 1970s and 80s. This one is supposedly NOS, and I have no reason to doubt it. Came with an old Parker squeeze converter, and is currently inked with Sailor Jentle Shigure (purple). Note the unusual nib. Many fountain pens can be used with the feed facing up to get a finer line, but Parker actually encouraged people to do that with the 180. The nib is a F/B, Broad if used the normal way with the feed down, Fine if turned 180 degrees with the feed up.

The Montblanc and the Parker in particular are very nice to write with. I don't have the problems with slim pens that many people seem to, and metal sections don't bother me.

By the way, the Faber-Castell and the Montblanc have another thing in common. The caps snap into the posted position as well as the capped one.

slimpens.jpg

Newton Townsend (small) F nib
Dark purple ripple ebonite (on right in photo) arrived the end of July. Continuously inked since. Currently with Lamy Dark Lilac.
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
It's been a loooong time since I needed to buy anything pen wise, but I loaded my last Diamine cartridge yesterday, so needed to restock. I'm currently waiting on...

18 Diamine Chocolate Brown cartridges
18 Diamine Ancient Copper cartridges
18 Diamine Midnight cartridges
1 Diamine cartridge assortment pack - Prestige
1 Diamine cartridge assortment pack - Regal

That should keep me going for another few years. I've barely dented my 30ml(?) Diamine bottles I got a few years ago.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Just getting into the fountain pen and working on my penmanship after a several-years layoff. Got some inexpensive pens to play with.

Lamy Vista Demonstrator:
LAMYDemonstrator.jpg

And three ridiculously inexpensive Jinhao 159s:
Jinhao.jpg

And another Chinese pen, Hongdian Black Forest fine nib:
hongdian.jpg

Those, with a couple of Cross Townsends I already owned, should keep me plenty busy for a while. Got some excellent Black and Red notebooks to practice in, also. Love these things.

blackandred.jpg

Top Bottom