What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Sat shae 2.jpg

Soap
Tabac
Brush
Shavemac 177
Razor
RR Stealth Slant Alum.
Blade
Lord SS
Aftershave
Thayers Rose Petal WH & Clubman
Fragrance
Versace The Dreamer
Rating
A refreshing early a.m. shave today. This razor really impresses me with its
smoothness. A perfect 10/10 shave.

1603548821988.jpeg

Brush: Elite Razor 24mm Manchurian/ WD Luna handle
Soap: Stirling Sandpiper
Razor: GEM ????
Blade: GEM Super Stainless

9/10: I know nothing about this GEM Micromatic other than that I’ve had it for over 10 years and always intended to sell it. It shaved very well today!

Giving 7 O'Clock yellow a second chance

My first time trying this blade gave terrible results. So I tried a new blade, thinking the first blade was somehow defective. I experienced two terrible shaves with that first 7 yellow, several weepers. I dumped that blade and decided to try a new one today. Many on this forum favor the 7 yellow, which is why I tried again. The results were good. That first blade must have been defective, or perhps I inadvertently bumped it against something. Results were good, but not as good as the Artist Club blades.

Pre-shave: Shower and hot towel, Lucky Tiger bath soap
Razor: Bedfordshire bladeholder (UK) w/replacement walnut handle
Gel: Tree Hut
Blade: 7 O'Clock Yellow
A/S: Lucky Tiger
Rating: 9/10

102420.jpg

Razor: Razorock Mamba 70
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome Israeli (3)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft Monster Synthetic 26mm
Preshave: Lather & Wood Pre-Shave Oil Unscented
Lather: Haslinger Schafmilch Rasierseife Organic
Aftershave: Alum followed by Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm

No nicks: 5
No irritation: 4.75
Closeness: 4.75
Smoothness: 5

No nicks. No irritation but post shave feel not so good.. Close and smooth shave. Moderate alum report.

Rating: 9.75/10

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 7.5/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Bay Rum soap
Soap: Barrister and Mann Reserve Spice
Brush: Yaqi Red Marbleized Tuxedo synthetic
Razor: Feather AC SS shavette
Blade: Feather AC Professional (5)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Thayers Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Old Spice

Nasty nick on the lower left of my neck...but if it weren't for that, it would have been a fairly decent shave. Learning that the shavette is extremely unforgiving. Reserve Spice and Old Spice compliment each other well.

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

Kit 20201024.jpg

Saturday, October 24th- 9.5/10- DFS- two day growth, two-passes, no nicks, no irritation, really nice smooth shave today. I'm still at my Mom's helping her out, this week was some plumbing fixes and lots of paperwork. I'm missing my diverse shave den. BUt I'll be heading back west after next weekend.

Shaving with one razor, one blade type, and limited choices in software has definitely made me re-appreciate Tabac, Arko, and Proraso green. Today's AS is the first Fine offering I've tried and I really like the simple ingredients, the scent and the staying power.

Razor- MMFW- simply a wonderful razor
Blade- Gem SS (6)-retired after this morning's shave
Brush- Simpsons Trafalgar 2- I've used this now for last few weeks and it's definitely a brush one can use daily. It's nice to not worry about whether my brush is still damp. I'll leave this brush at Mom's for my next visit.
Soap- Tabac stick- plenty of great, slick lather
AS- Fine American Blend- just a touch of menthol and a lovely scent

May all your shaves be smooth and nick free!

PXL_20201024_142918747.jpg

Razor: Gillette 1952 Tech (Bakelite Handle)
Blade: Kai Stainless Steel (1st)
Brush: Semogue 1305 (1st use)
Pre-Shave: Face Scrub, Thayers, Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Stirling Barbershop
Aftershave: Strike Gold Shave - "Happyland Barbershop" (Splash)
PAA - Rabid Banana (Balm)
34EA96F0-E92C-4CBA-BD86-D73AC170D2A1.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.9/10
Barbershop and Bananas
I woke up feeling a bit directionless this morning. I shave every other day, and keep a basket in the washroom where I can place my selected next shave products. I get two days to ponder the approach to each shave. This morning my basket was empty. I felt like a rudderless ship without any direction.

Okay...mix and match. It’s really cold out today and I’m going to hike the ravine. I’ll start with my Bakelite handled Tech and try a blade I’ve never used before. “KAI”! Yes! This paired up so sweetly with my tech I wished I had tried one earlier. Super smooth, skin caressing BBS with textbook post shave joy.

The barbershop soap and splash with banana balm sandwiched in the middle is a pretty good combo. My face feels like it’s all set for a brisk weather walk.

First shave with the Semogue 1305 (bowl lather) was excellent. I didn’t even think about I was using an unbroken brush until I started writing this. I’m going to wait until I get a handle on the water absorption qualities of boar before I attempt any more face lathering with them though.

Okay! Everybody stay as safe as you can. I’m off on my exercise hike. That cold air is going to feel mighty brisk on my freshly barbered skin.

I couldn't do it. I had to shave. My children told me I had velcro on my face when they woke up this morning and saw I was on the couch watching SportsCenter.

Proraso Red preshave
Stirling Boar
GEM Bullet Tip w/ coated blade day
Arlo Shave Stick
Witch Hazel
Stirling Unscented splash
Pinaud Clubman

Bit of a vintage/older style shave today. Not BBS as I really wasn't wanting to irritate the face. Left some in my neck line, beside the adam's apple. I am ok with that.

8.1/10

KM

PXL_20201024_140150999.jpg

Pre-shave:- Wrights Coal Tar Soap
Bowl/Scuttle:- None
Brush:- Synthetic
Soap/Cream:- B Men Shaving Cream
Razor/Blade:- Gillette Tech and Gillette Wilkinson blade (1)
Post/After-shave: Cocoa Butter and night cream mix to keep my allure
Fragrance:- Lacoste

Reaching into the back of the bathroom cupboard to see what I can find and came across the B Men Cream, not bad at all and lathers well.

My idea of a good shave is to have comfortable shave and never suffer a cut or have a rash. I know that the Gillette Tech is not the most glamourous of razors but it never cuts me and I have a close consistant shave.

10/10

06.04.jpg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Splashed hot water on my face,
Lathered Pre de Provence with a Kent BK4,
Shaved three passes with a Personna Israeli (5) in an EJ DE89,
Showered, and
Splashed on 4711 cologne as aftershave

I lathered and relathered generously. Maybe I am trying to use up the PdP more quickly so that I can get something else.

Very smooth, very comfortable. 9.5/10

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Razor: Gillette 1952 Tech (Bakelite Handle)
Blade: Kai Stainless Steel (1st)
Pre-Shave: Face Scrub, Thayers, Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Stirling Barbershop
Aftershave: Strike Gold Shave - "Happyland Barbershop" (Splash)
PAA - Rabid Banana (Balm)
View attachment 1173023
Shave Rating: 9.9/10
Barbershop and Bananas
I woke up feeling a bit directionless this morning. I shave every other day, and keep a basket in the washroom where I can place my selected next shave products. I get two days to ponder the approach to each shave. This morning my basket was empty. I felt like a rudderless ship without any direction.

Okay...mix and match. It’s really cold out today and I’m going to hike the ravine. I’ll start with my Bakelite handled Tech and try a blade I’ve never used before. “KAI”! Yes! This paired up so sweetly with my tech I wished I had tried one earlier. Super smooth, skin caressing BBS with textbook post shave joy.

The barbershop soap and splash with banana balm sandwiched in the middle is a pretty good combo. My face feels like it’s all set for a brisk weather walk.

First shave with the Semogue 1305 (bowl lather) was excellent. I didn’t even think about I was using an unbroken brush until I started writing this. I’m going to wait until I get a handle on the water absorption qualities of boar before I attempt any more face lathering with them though.

Okay! Everybody stay as safe as you can. I’m off on my exercise hike. That cold air is going to feel mighty brisk on my freshly barbered skin.
You almost sound like myself using the KAI SS blade. Great Blade for mild razors or more blade feel for certain razors. :thumbup:

I don't know if it was my imagination or not, but it seemed like my 1305 performed great the first few times I used it and then regressed. (I usually face lather instead of bowl lathering.) I was actually getting a little frustrated with it, but kept at it. It did slowly improve with each use. The last time I used it, it was excellent! Much better at holding water and soap. It has bloomed nicely and I noticed the bristles were splitting. I don't know if it has peaked yet, or will continue to improve - I assume it will continue to improve as the bristles continue to fray.

There are some videos online of using a towel to break in boar brushes, but I did not try that.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, OCtober 24th, 2020

Razor: Razorock Game Changer .84- MFG 2018> excellent well built SS razor, <mid range> depending on blade used IMO.
Blade: KAI SS (10) excellent blade for longevity + sharp & smooth + extra wide blade from standard blade by .009"thousands.
Soap: Razorock Lavender- nice scent with excellent lather qualities, reasonable post shave.
Brush: Yaqi 24 mm tuxedo knot with black marble handle - excellent lather creator + cloud like soft tips.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand cleanser bar + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender aftershave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:Excellent shave with my RR GC .84 combo with extra wide KAI SS blade.

DE SOTD, Sat Oct24th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Today's Shave:
  • Prep: Splashed warm water on my face
  • Soap: Vitos Red
  • Brush: RazoRock 24 Barrel Shaving Brush - With Tuxedo Plissoft Synthetic Knot
  • Razor: RazoRock German 37 Slant Razor with Weber SS handle
  • Blade: Crystal (8)
  • Post Shave: Nivea "Sensitive" Post Shave Balm
  • Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue
  • Rating: 9.9/10 DFS++ - WTG XTG & minor ATG
When I first tried Crystal blades many years ago they didn't seem to be very smooth(probably newbie issues). I decided to try them again and they are now working great for me, sharp, smooth and each shave seems to be better than the previous one.

Eben Stone

Staff member
20201024_102926.jpg

Prep: hot towel and Shave Secret
Blade: G7Y #1
Razor: Boker butterfly
Brush: Muhle synthetic
Soap: L&W bay rum
Aftershave: alum, Thayers rose witch hazel, L&W bay rum

3 pass: lukewarm WTG, XTG, ATG. Neutral angle.

I'm playing the shave roulette game!

I got an unexpectedly awesome shave. Awesome for me because I was expecting poor results with the Boker. I incorrectly assumed that it was too mild to achieve an easy close shave. Wrong. Not BBS but zero alum burn. There are a few rough spots under the jawline but that's my problem area and I've never got it super smooth there. Otherwise very close and very smooth.

No tugging: 5
No nicks: 5
No irritation: 5
Closeness: 4.25
DFS

9.6/10

Top Bottom