What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
So, I haven't posted here in months - just had a LOT going on, then the whole lockdown thing. Today, my wife and I went antiquing for the first time since the beginning of the year, and I found two nice cased razors.

First, a 1907 (as best as I can tell) Single Ring. The box is a little rough, but the razor is in excellent shape - no bent teeth!! This is officially the oldest Gillette I now have, beating out my 1920 and 1916 Single Rings.
View attachment 1169717
A352(5?)(0?) - 1907??

View attachment 1169716
The note was a plus. So, it was bought brand new by this guy's buddies, for his 21st birthday, May 10, 1913. I'm guessing this thing sat around on the store shelf for 6 years. $5 was a ton of money to most folks back then, so they probably didn't move that quick in a lot of areas.

I also found this 1948-1950 cased Aristocrat. I have a couple of the '46-'47 Aristocrats, so it'll be neat to try this and compare them. Other than a little rust around the case rim, and the wrong blade pack, it doesn't look like it was used much if any.
View attachment 1169714
View attachment 1169715

I saw a nice looking Hoffritz slant edge in a case, but when I picked it up, I noticed the head was loose and wobbly - the handle was split, just like on an Old Type. Had to pass on that!
Love the note. The history is what makes it special.

Seygus titanium zepplin V2

Attachments

• 20201016_164953.jpg
    20201016_164953.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Found a couple rarities over the web last week. Was the sole bidder on a lot which had a ambiguous Ranger Tech in it and came away with this!
20201014_202057.jpg

20201014_201651.jpg
20201014_201813.jpg
20201014_201744.jpg

The elusive two-toned Ranger! Was really bummed when I first pulled it out because I thought all the plating had been stripped from the head.
After a good soaking, I realized I wasn't looking at yellow brass but at gold wash on the head and lacquer remnants on the handle. It looks as though the head is gold over brass, much like the Sheraton is and the handle is clearly nickel. There is no evidence of nickel on the head.

The other is a Gold Coles. Been wanting one for my collection and happened on an easy deal. Comes with the zippered pouch, which nemo tells me is how Merkur did their Gold razors.
20201016_165829.jpg

Found a couple rarities over the web last week. Was the sole bidder on a lot which had a ambiguous Ranger Tech in it and came away with this!View attachment 1171042
View attachment 1171047View attachment 1171048View attachment 1171043

The elusive two-toned Ranger! Was really bummed when I first pulled it out because I thought all the plating had been stripped from the head.
After a good soaking, I realized I wasn't looking at yellow brass but at gold wash on the head and lacquer remnants on the handle. It looks as though the head is gold over brass, much like the Sheraton is and the handle is clearly nickel. There is no evidence of nickel on the head.

The other is a Gold Coles. Been wanting one for my collection and happened on an easy deal. Comes with the zippered pouch, which nemo tells me is how Merkur did their Gold razors.
View attachment 1171044

Very nice indeed Adam - well done!!

I have a nice little collection of vintage Gillette razors but I've always managed to avoid the Fatboy because the prices are admittedly somewhat ridiculous, especially here in Canada. Over the years I found a Super Adjustable for a great price at an antique store, and a Slim selling locally online for a steal. "I don't even NEED a Fatboy right?" I told myself. Well, eventually my willpower collapsed.

Found one online the other day (F2), without a case but in relatively good condition otherwise. Not cheap but better than I've seen them selling for lately. At least I can say I have the trifecta now?

Adjustables.jpeg

I'm a bit scared....
NOS Fasan Doppelschräg Nr. 21 - white Bakelit, original price Deutsche Mark 1.50
IMG_0111.jpg

It looks agressive and is sooo light. I'm not sure if I have the balls to try it out any time soon.
I'm a steep angle shaver but saw in period ad's that it was promoted as "Die Kappe führt - die Klinge schneidet!" (The cap leads - the blade cuts!)

I'm a bit scared....
NOS Fasan Doppelschräg Nr. 21 - white Bakelit, original price Deutsche Mark 1.50
View attachment 1171979

It looks agressive and is sooo light. I'm not sure if I have the balls to try it out any time soon.
I'm a steep angle shaver but saw in period ad's that it was promoted as "Die Kappe führt - die Klinge schneidet!" (The cap leads - the blade cuts!)
Not really too aggressive -- as long as you take it easy. A very nice and close shave in my opinion. Enjoy!

Top Bottom