Vie-Long 50/50 White Horsehair Chubby Fan brush
365 glycerin soap wash
La Toja soap stick
Dickinson's witch hazel
RR Dead Sea splash

Clean, close shave; accidental BBS

Notes:
  • Bolt of Indra = Pearl OC base plate + SABI cap + SABI Bull Mastiff handle
  • Today's shave equipment was randomly chosen, do you want to play a game?

Razor: Gem Micromatic Open Comb Gold Bumpless
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso Red
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Gillette Series Cool Wave
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
20200719_081955.jpg

Rolls Razor "Shavus interruptus." I took the Rolls for its "maiden flight," but with a 1 and 4 win/Loss record (I think it cut 1 whisker for every 4 it encountered), I set it aside. I'll try to hone it outside of the case or send it out to get professionally honed (I picked up a 1945 replacement blade in its bakelite case yesterday, so I'll see if that one sharpens up and try again Wednesday).
Monday, 19 Oct shave (part deux)
- 1927 Gillette Milady Decollete / Vikings Blade / Proraso Pre & soap / cheap VanderHagen boar brush / AV Musk splash -- My first shave with a Milady and it was going so smoothly that I found myself speeding around like I was using a Super Speed or tech instead of an Old Type. Maybe it was the small handle and resulting light touch, but patience was rewarded with a really comfortable two-pass shave that honestly could have stopped at one. Putting more and more Old Type shaves into the "win" column, which makes me happy because I really do like these razors.
16E6D0FB-CFFE-4A1B-A193-9FCD64328B7E.jpeg

Nice segal. I may be shaving with mine later today, unless I need to modify a new blade. it should be OK, the blade was only used on four shaves.
Beautiful razor, mine is no where that pretty--it looks like it was rescued from a shipwreck.. I tried using the online printable blade template to minimal success (I think the sizing is just a bit off) making it hard to get the blade exposure even on both sides, so I purchased a couple NOS off the bay and they should be in this week. If it's in good shape, I might use a vintage blade, but more likely use the old blade as the template and get a Segal shave done for OCtober.

Last edited:
Rolls Razor "Shavus interruptus." I took the Rolls for its "maiden flight,"

Does the Rolls count as an "Open Comb"? If so then that gives me another OCtober option!

(And yes, @Lord NSIC, honing outside the case is the only way I know to get it sharp enough. Happy to offer to hone one or two if you cover shipping and can be generous with turnaround time.)

Beautiful razor, mine is no where that pretty--it looks like it was rescued from a shipwreck.. I tried using the online printable blade template to minimal success (I think the sizing is just a bit off) making it hard to get the blade exposure even on both sides, so I purchased a couple NOS off the bay and they should be in this week. If it's in good shape, I might use a vintage blade, but more likely use the old blade as the template and get a Segal shave done for OCtober.
I made a template from the printable guide and enlarged the opening a little which worked real well. My razor was rescued from a shop that was just putting out a cardboard box of crusty vintage razors. The shopkeeper said that before she cleaned them that I could choose four of them at a discount if I wanted to clean them myself.

On a side note. My avatar is from the lobby of General Dynamics in San Diego (Kearny Mesa). It was demolished in the 90s. I worked there from 1977 thru 1993.

Last edited:
Razor: RR SLOC
Blade: Rapira Super Stainless (forgot to count but I think 6 or 7)
Soap: Zingari Man Sego Wanderer
Brush: Rick Montalvo Handle with Timberwolf synth knot
Aftershave: Zingari Man the Wanderer

I was nervous about this soap disappearing too fast as it seems pretty soft. Having used it for the bulk of the month already, I would say it is being used slightly faster than my Stirling but on par with some of my other soaps. Good shaves in general.

Does the Rolls count as an "Open Comb"? If so then that gives me another OCtober option!

(And yes, @Lord NSIC, honing outside the case is the only way I know to get it sharp enough. Happy to offer to hone one or two if you cover shipping and can be generous with turnaround time.)
Thank you for the offer, I'm going to give it a shot outside the case when time permits--now if my one boss would just talk to my other boss and give me some time off, I would have plenty of time on hand...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Rolls Razor "Shavus interruptus." I took the Rolls for its "maiden flight," but with a 1 and 4 win/Loss record (I think it cut 1 whisker for every 4 it encountered), I set it aside. I'll try to hone it outside of the case or send it out to get professionally honed (I picked up a 1945 replacement blade in its bakelite case yesterday, so I'll see if that one sharpens up and try again Wednesday).
Monday, 19 Oct shave (part deux)
- 1927 Gillette Milady Decollete / Vikings Blade / Proraso Pre & soap / cheap VanderHagen boar brush / AV Musk splash -- My first shave with a Milady and it was going so smoothly that I found myself speeding around like I was using a Super Speed or tech instead of an Old Type. Maybe it was the small handle and resulting light touch, but patience was rewarded with a really comfortable two-pass shave that honestly could have stopped at one. Putting more and more Old Type shaves into the "win" column, which makes me happy because I really do like these razors.
View attachment 1170897

Maybe I have a razor like that. Where is it?

When I bought it on eBay I thought it was a travel razor, but gentlemen on the board clued me in. A Gillette Milady. I guess that means it's a lady's razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom