What's new

Which common Gillette adjustable is best

Which is the best common Gillette Adjustable

• Total voters
This poll has been done before, many times over the years. Usually the Slim wins out (but not by much) if my memory serves me.

My preference in order, but very close:

Super Adjustable (short handle)
Slim
Fat Boy
Super Adjustable (long handle)

All of 'em are very close in ranking, almost too close to meaningfully distinguish. They are outstanding razors!

For me the SA is the best shaving of the Gillette adjustables. I prefer the lower profile head, and the SA's range of adjustability seems a bit greater. Having said that, the SA is definitely not the best built. I've handled quite a few over the years and my experience is that the SAs are much more prone to mechanical problems than the the FB or the Slim. Gillette's quality of materials and production seemed to be definitely in decline by the time the SA came along. It's just my educated guess, but it seems that by the 1970s, Gillette was well down the road of implementing significant cost cutting measures in their manufacturing, with predictable results. Still, a sound SA is an outstanding shaver.

I have all three and I give the tip of the hat to the slim.
The super adjustable is nice too (I like the short handle) but doesn't seem as refined as the slim for some reason. Slim seems like it is when they got the design just right. When the SA came it seemed they tried to make a cheaper slim with the aluminum handle.
Fatboy is nice but the most mild of the bunch and the head is alot larger.

If I had to choose one it would be the slim. But I use all three.

Edit: as far as price and quality you have a better chance of finding a slim in good condition than a SA. Usually for some reason when the SA are in good condition they sell for alot more. The anodising on the handle is prone to be damaged and being aluminum the handle itself can have dings in it.
But if cost is an issue, great condition fatboy will cost you what a rex ambassador costs (awesome razor!!)
Depending on your age maybe go by what your birth year is. Then get the adjustable from that year.
They are all great and I switch across the slim and SA84 alot. This week fav is slim. Next week maybe SA lol

Last edited:
I've got all 3 too, and, for me, it's the Slim (and it's my Birth Year/Quarter razor). The Black Beauty (SA-109) is gorgeous, love/obsessed-with long-handled black razors, but it and the FatBoy seem slightly top heavy. That said, I can get great shaves from all 3.

Here’s my favorite from Gillette.
Gibbs is my favourite adjustable, but this is off topic.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That's one pretty Executive.[emoji846]

Sent from my H1A1000 using Tapatalk

I have all three. Actually four as I have both Black Beauty's - 109 and 84.
Best for me --- BB 109. I like the handle and length best. Very YMMV.
Hi,Could you please tell me the difference between 109 and 84?I didn't know there were two types.Cheers.

I have the Slim and the Fatboy, and I prefer the Slim over the FB. I've had the FB since college, so when I started wet shaving again (after several years in the "wilderness" with an electric!), and joined this board, I had the FB cleaned and rechromed. Since then the TTO does not work quite as well to keep the blade secure while shaving....
I have to re-tighten it a couple of times during the shave. If I had it to do over again, I would have had that work done on the Slim, b/c I think it's the better razor. I think the head is slightly slimmer and does a better job under
my nose and around my chin. I still use both, but the Slim is my "go-to."

I have the Slim and the Fatboy, and I prefer the Slim over the FB. I've had the FB since college, so when I started wet shaving again (after several years in the "wilderness" with an electric!), and joined this board, I had the FB cleaned and rechromed. Since then the TTO does not work quite as well to keep the blade secure while shaving....
I have to re-tighten it a couple of times during the shave. If I had it to do over again, I would have had that work done on the Slim, b/c I think it's the better razor. I think the head is slightly slimmer and does a better job under
my nose and around my chin. I still use both, but the Slim is my "go-to."
May be a dumb question but are you tightening it the extra "1/4 turn" where you feel the spring pressure?

I voted for the Fatboy due to personal preference, but I get identical results from the Slim, which I perceive to be very slightly milder than the Fatboy when set on equal numbers. But that could be my imagination.

Top Bottom