Fine Slant Razor (polished aluminum) I’M IN LOVE

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Could I get just ⬇ this?

1602939119119.png

Without the menthol.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Which also has a high menthol content. Is it you, me, or both of us that's confused? :001_unsur

I've got nothing against menthol.

On the other hand...

1602948829653.png

In the Osage Rub the menthol is super intense but the scent is gone very very quickly. It's an experience for sure, but it's not an aftershave and/or cologne.

Unless I'm wrong, the Fine product is a different animal. Since I've not tried it I'm kinda guessing there.

Happy shaves,

Jim

In the Osage Rub the menthol is super intense but the scent is gone very very quickly. It's an experience for sure, but it's not an aftershave and/or cologne.
Snake Bite is described as an "After Shave Tonic" (note: not lotion or splash). Unlike Osage Rub it contains no fragrance or coloring, simply alcohol, water, and menthol (the scent of which dissipates quickly too).
Unless I'm wrong, the Fine product is a different animal. Since I've not tried it I'm kinda guessing there.
Whatever they're called I think they both do the same job and aim for a similar outcome (not that I've ever tried Osage Rub). :001_tt2: :laugh:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I've got nothing against menthol.

On the other hand...

View attachment 1169868

Happy shaves,

Jim

I rather like Osage Rub. Certainly wakes one up. ;)

Fine Slant Razor SOTD
SOTD-FS-W_2020-10-17.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Omega 11047 Mixed Midget
Soap: Williams Mug
Razor: Fine Aluminum Slant
Blade: Kai (3)
ASL: Reuzel

An excellent shave. :cornut:

Today was my first experience of Williams Mug Shaving Soap imported here (in the UK) from the US all the way across the pond, at great expense. My excuse? I had to try it.

Williams "first shave" verdict:
Easy and pleasant to use. Very similar to MWF, including the soapy/creamy/slightly-sickly scent. (I must admit to missing my new "Rasozero Agrumella" love.)

Due to the scent, and thinking about food (as one does) I decided to follow it up with Reuzel (lard and apple). (For me) that was a great choice.

So there you have it. More information that's no doubt useless to anyone but me. :laugh:

Happy shaves aw youse. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Think of it as a rare and fancy imported soap, Cal.
This side of the pond, IT IS, Jim. And with shipping costs it works out quite expensive (not MdC style, but you know what I mean).

I intend using it for a while. Hopefully the scent will grow on me. It isn't "bad," just not currently one of my favored smells.

If I left my soaps out in the open, the way you do, that would probably help... but it's against my religion. My soaps are only "opened" for the shave, and "shut" back in their container immediately afterwards.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This side of the pond, IT IS, Jim. And with shipping costs it works out quite expensive (not MdC style, but you know what I mean).

I intend using it for a while. Hopefully the scent will grow on me. It isn't "bad," just not currently one of my favored smells.

If I left my soaps out in the open, the way you do, that would probably help... but it's against my religion. My soaps are only "opened" for the shave, and "shut" back in their container immediately afterwards.

Shaving soap should be allowed to dry between shaves, Cal, just like bar soap should be allowed to dry between uses if possible. I leave the soap I used today open until tomorrow to dry. If I don't use it then I put the top on.

Vitos Red is a special case. I leave it open for a week or so before using it the first time. My agenda is entirely to get rid of the unpleasant marzipan scent. Other than that I treat it like the other soaps.

In the world of foot races on the road, the kind of races I call tee shirt races because you pay to enter, get a tee shirt, and are giving a donation to a charity (usually) it's very well known that the further away from home your tee shirt originated the more valuable the shirt is.

Some with golf clothing. Where I live, a mile or so from the borders of the Augusta National, Masters clothing is common enough. The only place in the world to buy it is at the National and the only time is the tournament. It's not terribly hard for me to find someone to buy me a shirt or cap or beach towel or whatever. Everyone here is in the same good boat.

If I wear my Masters clothing in California people notice it and comment on it and give me points for having been to the tournament or whatever.

Wiliams soap in England? Same thing. Very cool.

In other words, you're the man.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Shaving soap should be allowed to dry between shaves, Cal, just like bar soap should be allowed to dry between uses if possible.
Your rules for you, my rules for me. :wink2:

I do indeed leave my bar soaps out to dry between uses. But the lather I use for cleaning my hands and body, and the lather I use for shaving my whiskers, are two very different animals.

I'll be having a shave shortly. Here's a pic of the (just opened) soap which I will use:
WMS-pre-shave_2020-10-18.jpg

When I've finished my shave I'll take another pic before screwing the lid back on.

When I've finished my shave I'll take another pic before screwing the lid back on.
Here it is:

WMS-post-shave_2020-10-18.jpg

As you can see, it looks pretty much the same as it did pre-shave.

The way I use it simply keeps it at "croap" consistency (which is what I like).

Top Bottom