What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

Sounds like you have a winner Matt! A good jnat edge really is difficult to better.

Thanks Steve! Yes...between the Escher Barbers Gem, the Jaspers, and the JNATs I feel like I am on the money. I just need to try to continue to refine my processes, and add a stone here and there as opportunities present themselves!

Have a great weekend!

Vr

Matt

Matt the color of slurry on your new Jnat is very nice. Looks like you got yourself a winner. Good score!

Thanks! The FBU came out amazing, and the damn Tanifuji Cape 1000 is finally where I think it should be! I will find out Monday when I shave again!

I wish I knew more about it, but if all I know is that it delivers the goods, that is enough for me. I will try an easy razor to finish on it next...perhaps the Salamanca!

Vr

Matt
7B97E18C-40CE-42DE-8C8F-BC5D8F264470.jpeg
355D85B5-FF50-4572-99C4-88E56002F368.jpeg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Hey Matt,

It is an Okuda suita, which are usually very fast knife/tool hones. This one was described as ‘hard mouth‘ (the Japanese kanji for ‘hard’ is a square, which Google translate seems to think is a mouth).

The description mentions ‘razor’ but I will believe it when I shave with it lol.

Suita can be some of the best knife/tool finishers. A great one can bridge 1k to razor finisher. A really great one can go from 1k to razor finish, though these are rare.

Hey Matt,

It is an Okuda suita, which are usually very fast knife/tool hones. This one was described as ‘hard mouth‘ (the Japanese kanji for ‘hard’ is a square, which Google translate seems to think is a mouth).

The description mentions ‘razor’ but I will believe it when I shave with it lol.

Suita can be some of the best knife/tool finishers. A great one can bridge 1k to razor finisher. A really great one can go from 1k to razor finish, though these are rare.

I figured it was for knife or tools based off of that tremendous slurry...fingers crossed it can work some magic for your straights!

Vr

Matt

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
And it arrived, still unlapped but preliminary tests are promising. I will cut SLD steel, the HHT off the second test razor was very good, it produces nice kasumi on honyaki knives (single piece) and nice but shiny kasumi on bi-metal blades, and importantly does not streak the steel the way some stones can.

176A1136-AB89-4D44-B00A-B93BB1CA6F1B.jpeg
CCC5C6EF-469E-4EF7-B2CB-C1681126E276.jpeg
B7AE128D-CEDD-4A30-9491-C37D44F533F8.jpeg
10A45CCA-EC74-4EF7-9BE1-78C20A27BF5A.jpeg

Top Bottom