What's new

Maggard closed heads

So I'm not sure how many that would read this would have been around long enough, but wondering who has all the versions of the maggard heads?
I've been using the V3 closed comb for a while, but I dug out the v2 and even v1.
After speaking with Brad I found that the v1 is the most aggressive. The trade-off is the crazy amount of manual blade alignment you have to do. Lol.
But here are all 3 from left to right v1 v2 and v3
IMG_20200928_074603.jpg

From what brad at maggard told me, v1 is most aggressive, and I can see that by blade exposure. Think old fatip to new. Top cap allows for almost 1/8" stickout. Also the most rough looking. (I have 4)

V2 said to be merkur clone but some only allowed for so much blade movement and end result was one side more than the other, however none of my heads don't allow for adjustment to even as far as I remember ( I have 3)

And finally I have the v3 but only 2 of them. These are an EJ clone and only need as much manual alignment as any EJ.
They all need some just to be sure unless you get lucky, EJ or Merkur.

But I plan on trying the v1 tomorrow since they've been hiding in a box for so many years lol.
I feel like I have a museum of maggard heads.

I also found an extremely wide and huge handle I don't see on their site anymore. But won't be using that.
I'll be using the harbor freight center punch handle I made. (Easy if you have a tap.)

Edit: a bit urelated to "closed comb" thread but I also have the v1 and the current v2 open comb.
V1 was a merkur clone so the OC is very mild like the merkur OC "1904" (they called it back then) razor. I think they call it the 42c or 43c now (closed bar or open combs)

I have all of the Maggard's heads that I used as i was exploring razors, then I moved on to the Italian Barber
GC.84 it's all I use now. It's an excellent razor at a good price

I've tried all three Maggard heads. Your descriptions are consistent with my experience with them. I actually prefer the Merkur clone V1. The DE89 clone V3 is better in terms of less fussing with alignment, but the V1 gives me a better shave. I'm lucky in that my particular V1 is fairly decent in terms of alignment. As for the originals, I also prefer the Merkur head to the EJ: for me, the Merkur is just as comfortable but noticeably more efficient.

I've tried all three Maggard heads. Your descriptions are consistent with my experience with them. I actually prefer the Merkur clone V1. The DE89 clone V3 is better in terms of less fussing with alignment, but the V1 gives me a better shave. I'm lucky in that my particular V1 is fairly decent in terms of alignment. As for the originals, I also prefer the Merkur head to the EJ: for me, the Merkur is just as comfortable but noticeably more efficient.
According to brad the v2 is the merkur clone and the v3 is the EJ. The v1 was I don't know. Just had a shave with it tonight (v1) and it definitely is efficient. That blade is RIGHT there lol. The stickout is like 1/8" on each side. Did have to align a little. I got lucky all my v1 heads so far are ok with not having to fuss too much. But there's a few I haven't tried yet (I have a few of each version from black Fridays back then.)

So I'm not sure how many that would read this would have been around long enough, but wondering who has all the versions of the maggard heads?
I've been using the V3 closed comb for a while, but I dug out the v2 and even v1.
After speaking with Brad I found that the v1 is the most aggressive. The trade-off is the crazy amount of manual blade alignment you have to do. Lol.
But here are all 3 from left to right v1 v2 and v3
View attachment 1168903

From what brad at maggard told me, v1 is most aggressive, and I can see that by blade exposure. Think old fatip to new. Top cap allows for almost 1/8" stickout. Also the most rough looking. (I have 4)

V2 said to be merkur clone but some only allowed for so much blade movement and end result was one side more than the other, however none of my heads don't allow for adjustment to even as far as I remember ( I have 3)

And finally I have the v3 but only 2 of them. These are an EJ clone and only need as much manual alignment as any EJ.
They all need some just to be sure unless you get lucky, EJ or Merkur.

But I plan on trying the v1 tomorrow since they've been hiding in a box for so many years lol.
I feel like I have a museum of maggard heads.

I also found an extremely wide and huge handle I don't see on their site anymore. But won't be using that.
I'll be using the harbor freight center punch handle I made. (Easy if you have a tap.)

Edit: a bit urelated to "closed comb" thread but I also have the v1 and the current v2 open comb.
V1 was a merkur clone so the OC is very mild like the merkur OC "1904" (they called it back then) razor. I think they call it the 42c or 43c now (closed bar or open combs)

Great comparison!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I have 2 v3 heads and the EJ. the V3 is much more aggressive. It visibly has more blade exposure.
The v3 is the jagger clone.
The v2 was the merkur clone.
The v1 (flat pins) was who knows what but far more aggressive than either 2.

The v3 is the jagger clone.
The v2 was the merkur clone.
The v1 (flat pins) was who knows what but far more aggressive than either 2.
What I am trying to tell you is that v3 is not an EJ clone. It might have been intended as such, looks almost the same, but it has more exposure than the EJ and is definitely more aggressive. Maggard V3 top cap is 18.5 mm. EJ is 19.2 mm. Also the bottom plate is thicker on the EJ - 5.5 mm vs 4.9 mm on the V3. So we are not talking about clones here.

This is interesting, I used a V1 pretty consistently for a while and never thought of it as aggressive. Maybe I need to give it another shot

so the EJ/v3 is considered more aggressive than merkur/v2?
According to brad at maggard the v1 is most aggressive but also most need for blade alignment.
The v2 is a merkur clone and mildest of the bunch but also had alignment issues
But yes the v3 is more mild than the v2 according to brad. His words are the v3 closest to EJ so he called it an EJ clone
Order of aggression most to least
V1
V3
V2.
Also the v1 OC was a merkur clone too so very mild.

I went back to my old V1 that's been sitting in a corner somewhere for a couple years, and have gotten a few very efficient shaves. I do get a little irritation if I do too much buffing or get aggressive with the ATG stuff under my chin, but it definitely performed nicely. I imagine this is a good example of how one's technique improves over time and can really have an impact on the quality of your shaves.

I went back to my old V1 that's been sitting in a corner somewhere for a couple years, and have gotten a few very efficient shaves. I do get a little irritation if I do too much buffing or get aggressive with the ATG stuff under my chin, but it definitely performed nicely. I imagine this is a good example of how one's technique improves over time and can really have an impact on the quality of your shaves.
Agree. My v1 used to tear me up, which is why I jumped on the v2 when it came out.
But now it's good. Just need to align the blade

Top Bottom