What's new

Favorite female singers

I enjoy good female vocals. My particular favorites (this isn't exhaustive, just what I've typed in a few minutes):
Ella *
Judy **
Barbara ***
Dinah Washington
Peggy Lee
Etta James
Joni Mitchell
Eva Cassidy
Melody Gardot
Diana Krall
Beth Hart
Sarah Jarosz
Gillian Welch

In case you need to ask:
* Fitzgerald
** Garland
*** Streisand

I enjoy good female vocals. My particular favorites (this isn't exhaustive, just what I've typed in a few minutes):
Ella *
Judy **
Barbara ***
Dinah Washington
Peggy Lee
Etta James
Joni Mitchell
Eva Cassidy
Melody Gardot
Diana Krall
Beth Hart
Sarah Jarosz
Gillian Welch

In case you need to ask:
* Fitzgerald
** Garland
*** Streisand
It's Barbra.

1602772932309.jpeg

Gillian Welch (my forever number one - all others in this list are unranked)
Marissa Nadler
Emma Ruth Rundle
Darkher
Dorthia Cottrell
Stevie Nicks
Fiona Apple
Alison Krauss
June Carter Cash
Roseanne Cash
Patty Griffin
Emmylou Harris
Loretta Lynn

So mostly country, alt-country, folk, and neo-folk. Generically, "Americana" covers most of them.

Great names listed in this thread. I agree, too many to list.

I am not sure whether Tracey Nelson came up.

Strangely, I think Linda Ronstadt was overrated back in the day--only because she was so popular and so well-regarded--but she seems to have become underrated. Amy Winehouse was so good and so appealing as a vocalist to me. Tony Bennett is right.

Eva Cassidy, for sure. Bettye LaVette, for sure. Karen Carpenter was breath-taking.

Adele started so strong. Now I am not sure.

I saw Bonnie Raitt not long ago, and she sure can sing.

Gillian Welch and Joni Mitchell are two of my absolute all time favorite artists. I am not sure I would have said either is a top vocalist. But no doubt when it comes to my "favorite" singers. Thus two, and, say, Stevie Nicks, Bonnie Raitt, Roseanne Cash, have to get huge points for songwriting and in some cases playing. Dolores O'Riordan, too. Chrissie Hynde.

I agree that Natalie Merchant ought to rejoin 10,000 Maniacs.

Johnette Napolitano often overlooked. Songwriting and bass playing probably counts for her, too.

Susanna Hoffs, when she is on. Cindi Lauper. Sia. Certainly, Janis, although I thought she was much better with Big Brother.

Last edited:
How did we leave Aretha off until so late in the thread? Although I really did not like her personally very much after seeing that recent doc with footage from 1972 at the New Bethel Baptist Church in Watts. She sure could sing.

. <- girl overboard ..i like the songs chain of fools...and jackie...but she has others that are great like way on the mountain..slightly older stuff i grew up on from my mother..Shes also a aussie singer..passed away a while ago from battling cancer sadly

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom