What's new

How to increase blade feel

Eben Stone

Staff member
OK seriously. Not a joke. I am using a Muhle R41 and I think I could improve my blade angle if there was more blade feel.

For the angle I try to adjust until I cannot feel neither the comb nor the cap. But I can't say I can actually feel the blade.

Is the best solution to try a Kai blade?

There isn't much you can do. The Kai will help slightly. Otherwise your only option is to add a shim or two. The problem with that, of course, is that you'll also increase the blade gap.

Blade exposure isn't something that can be readily changed so if it's a real problem you'll eventually just have to get a different razor.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
For the angle I try to adjust until I cannot feel neither the comb nor the cap. But I can't say I can actually feel the blade.

That’s the angle I‘ve been using lately and blade and the very edge of the cap (not on purpose, I swear!) are what I feel.

Maybe add a few more drops to your lather to thin out just a wee skosh? When I first tried what you’re doing, I had to frequently rinse the razor to keep feeling the blade.

OK seriously. Not a joke. I am using a Muhle R41 and I think I could improve my blade angle if there was more blade feel.

Is the best solution to try a Kai blade?
Put a Feather blade in your R41, then give it a go, see how you feel about that.

In the end all roads lead to rigid and exposed blade (aka SR)... I know, I know, stropping, honing, gear, etc... so you want to pick up a Feather Artist Club... or maybe one of those SE razors that uses AC-type blade, like Blackland Vector or Colonial General...

I understood the R41 has significant blade exposure so you must be using it wrong. Perhaps your lather is far too thick or you are not using the razor at a neutral angle.
Most people use the razor at a steep blade angle.
You don't feel blade in R41? You might have nerve damage :lol:
That sounds very possible. :thumbup1: :popc:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
As mentioned previously, maybe a shim might increase blade feel for you. Whatever method that you try please keep us informed of your results.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Put a Feather blade in your R41, then give it a go, see how you feel about that.

I've used a Feather a few times before with poor results. Today I rode the cap and it turned out well I think:

I still can't say for sure if I can feel the blade with any lather on my face. Maybe the soap is too cushiony? I'll try a different soap next shave...

Last edited:
Top Bottom