What's new

Neck XTG - Any ideas?

Hey gents! I'm down to a point in which I'm very comfy shaving with a SR and can achieve good results consistently.
There is just the one thing keeping me from BBS, and that is a fun stripe of hair that grows in my neck horizontally, starting at the external part of the neck towards the center. Even though there's no visual indication of hair remaining after I complete all my passes I can still feel stubble when I feel from lateral to medial. I've tried doing downward diagonal strokes but it doesn't quite cut it, and my neck is definitely not large enough to do a XTG with the blade held vertically.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

Same here. My neck hair growth pattern varies. I have 2 spots that growth occurs “sideways” I shaved with a straight for some time before switching to a custom made DE which gives me amazing amazing results with one pass against the grain.
I like using a straight but never mastered the sideways pass

I’m in the same boat. Diagonal down into the grain gives a good but not BBS result. I’m happy enough with a comfortable clean looking result though. With DE I always had some redness. For total BBS everywhere I need to reach for the Vector. You could always try a shorty.

Not sure if it will help you all (YMMV), but my "XTG" pass on my neck is actually a second N->S pass, but using the opposite hand as that used for the first pass. I find that using the other hand puts the razor at just enough of a different angle to produce a completely different angle of attack and is very effective for me without ever going E->W or W->E. I will admit to always doing an ATG (S->N) pass to finish up though.

Thanks y'all for your contributions so far! Good call Rumple, I gave that a shot but these *******' growth is just parallel to my chin! Tomo and Luke: There has to be a technique solution to it, I feel swapping tools is cheating :p

N -> S first pass with a little E and W to get the hollows around the underside of my jaw; second pass S->N and touchup any places I missed. I've given up on BBS on the underside, a DFS is enough for me

I've found doing a big big skin stretch from just under my jaw line in an upward direction does expose "Some" of that underside and gotten a bit of an improvement but still BBS eludes me. Let's keep trying gents!

the only thing that has come close to working on my trouble left side is a blind windshield wipe stroke.

I look up at ceiling. with left hand place blade facing toward ear almost diagonally....where neck meets chin bend.

one swipe in a half circle bringing the blade back to the lower part of neck. blade edge is now almost diagonally facing the center of neck.

I repeat again a little farther out again.

all done blindly cause all I see is the ceiling.

thats my windshield wiper.

camo

I’ve a whorl that gives me occasional difficulty.
I pul skin away from it in all directions. Spreading the whorl wider. Thumb and forefinger. I will also sometines use a disposable Kai shavette there, for it’s diminutive size.
The scything (mentioned as windshield wiper) is a good way as well.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hey gents! I'm down to a point in which I'm very comfy shaving with a SR and can achieve good results consistently.
There is just the one thing keeping me from BBS, and that is a fun stripe of hair that grows in my neck horizontally, starting at the external part of the neck towards the center. Even though there's no visual indication of hair remaining after I complete all my passes I can still feel stubble when I feel from lateral to medial. I've tried doing downward diagonal strokes but it doesn't quite cut it, and my neck is definitely not large enough to do a XTG with the blade held vertically.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

My advice? Don't worry too much about it. Nobody will notice. On the neck, it is pretty hard to get anything close to E-W or W-E so just go N-S or S-N as appropriate. Doesn't have to be exactly that angle, either. You can just go obliquely as close as practical to your desired direction. Also, always stretch the skin upstream, against the grain, so more whisker protrudes from the follicle.

Thank you all for your advice gentlemen!! Great takeaways. At this point it's just a personal challenge :p
I've been trying some blind strokes with neck hiperextension, think it may be the way to go!

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
The trick to this is to lay down on your side on the bathroom vanity, you have to have a decent size bathroom, and with the hand that's facing up and free, you carefully stroke downward. Be careful with the blade placement as a curving motion may cut your throat. After your done with one side, switch to the other...you'll have to get up and switch the direction you're laying down on the vanity.

Actually the best I ever did was a sort of diagonal.

J-hooking with a SR is called scything... just sayin' 😉

j hooking and scything are slightly different. Or very much can be. I do both under my jawline.

to the OP, as Slash said, don’t sweat it too much. I’d need a third joint in my arm to get the angles right for a fully BBS shave under my jawline. So I J hook and scyth at an up and in angle along both sides. scything is a pretty advanced technique and can easily lay open a long, potentially deep cut, so I wouldn’t do it until you’re well established with regular technique.

I just do a N to S and then a S to N and if there is any rough spot I just do another S to N but I vary the angle slightly (and stretch the neck by leaning my head one way or the other).

Especially if it's a case of a little rough spot on one side of the neck but not on the other. That's just a case of getting a little better angle when you are using one hand vs the other hand.

Thanks to all! Slowly making some progress, so far blind strokes while extending my neck seem to be the way to go. Dont trust myself enough for Scything / J hooking and laying down on the floor is a bit more than what I'm willing to do for a BBS :D

Have the same problem, so far best results with slant OC with very little to NO pressure and multiple passes ear to chin on both sides, short strokes ( not sure if that's E-W or W-E), getting better but can still feel tee shirt rubbing stubble.

I go N/S first pass....then S/N for second pass....if I do a third pass on my neck I start out SW then as I go up I end up parallel to my jaw line, sorta a "J" hook pattern. For me this seems to get most of the hair.

Larry

Any ideas??

Thanks!
Try an X pattern in those areas, that always works as long as you are not prone to ingrown. Do a few X X and that will get it down

Top Bottom