What's new

Razorock Lupo vs. DLC Lupo

If I'm not mistaken, the Lupo is supposed to mimic the Wolfman WR1 .61 gap head.
I've seen people think that lupo is equivalent to .67 of wf1. Many people think that lupo is as aggressive as GC68, and its shaving efficiency is higher than GC68, somewhere between GC68 and GC84. If the lupo is only .61, then the design of lupo is really good, or the design of wolfman is very good.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I've seen people think that lupo is equivalent to .67 of wf1. Many people think that lupo is as aggressive as GC68, and its shaving efficiency is higher than GC68, somewhere between GC68 and GC84. If the lupo is only .61, then the design of lupo is really good, or the design of wolfman is very good.
I will get my feeler gauges out when I purchase one in the near future, not a hard thing to do IMO.
If I remember I will post here. If the stainless steel model comes out soon and is a good price I will purchase, if not I will buy a Aluminum version.

My only razor now is the SS DLC Lupo. I had a couple .68 game changer sb’s and a .84 sb(plus the jaws.68 and open comb .84). The .68 was smooth but not efficient for me, I couldn’t get a decent enough shave for work without a lot of buffing which led to irritation. The .84 was smooth and efficient, but could bite me if I got lazy, which didn’t happen very often. The aluminum lupo was very prone to biting me and I didn’t care for that. The SS lupo has not bitten me once and that’s been one of the biggest surprises. The second surprise is how efficient it is with what is definitely a smaller gap than the .84. It’s a great razor and I may get a regular SS version if it comes out but don’t really need to.

I just want the ss lupo, without dlc coating. It is said that there will be a polished lupo,. Wait.
I will get my feeler gauges out when I purchase one in the near future, not a hard thing to do IMO.
If I remember I will post here. If the stainless steel model comes out soon and is a good price I will purchase, if not I will buy a Aluminum version.

My only razor now is the SS DLC Lupo. I had a couple .68 game changer sb’s and a .84 sb(plus the jaws.68 and open comb .84). The .68 was smooth but not efficient for me, I couldn’t get a decent enough shave for work without a lot of buffing which led to irritation. The .84 was smooth and efficient, but could bite me if I got lazy, which didn’t happen very often. The aluminum lupo was very prone to biting me and I didn’t care for that. The SS lupo has not bitten me once and that’s been one of the biggest surprises. The second surprise is how efficient it is with what is definitely a smaller gap than the .84. It’s a great razor and I may get a regular SS version if it comes out but don’t really need to.
I use GC68sb and GC84sb now. Like you, I think 68 is inefficient and 84 is satisfied, but I feel a little aggressive. Now I'd like to try 68oc and ss lupo. I wonder what it feels like to compare 68oc with 84sb. And lupo, I want to wait for polished ss.

Ron R

I use GC68sb and GC84sb now. Like you, I think 68 is inefficient and 84 is satisfied, but I feel a little aggressive. Now I'd like to try 68oc and ss lupo. I wonder what it feels like to compare 68oc with 84sb. And lupo, I want to wait for polished ss.
I emailed them a while back and they will be bringing the polished SS version in around late Sept or October, I'm also interested in one. If you like your GC 68 but it is a little to mild just slip in a DE Kai SS blade because it is .009" thousands wider and it should put a smile on your face. Kai blades are a little more expensive but I bought 4 tucks to test and slipped one in my GC 84 and never been so happy with results, it beats shimming IMO. You will get a little more blade feel and the blade has good longevity + Sharp & Smooth.
Have some great shaves!

I emailed them a while back and they will be bringing the polished SS version in around late Sept or October, I'm also interested in one. If you like your GC 68 but it is a little to mild just slip in a DE Kai SS blade because it is .009" thousands wider and it should put a smile on your face. Kai blades are a little more expensive but I bought 4 tucks to test and slipped one in my GC 84 and never been so happy with results, it beats shimming IMO. You will get a little more blade feel and the blade has good longevity + Sharp & Smooth.
Have some great shaves!
It seems that the polishing ss lupo is coming soon. Thank you very much for telling me this time. DE Kai SS blade doesn't know where to buy it.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
In the grand old B&B tradition, this thread inspired me to try something new & I ordered an AL Lupo, which has arrived. I'll post initial impressions in a separate thread

Ron R

In the grand old B&B tradition, this thread inspired me to try something new & I ordered an AL Lupo, which has arrived. I'll post initial impressions in a separate thread
I'm glad you are going to have impression test because I'm thinking of buying one because it meets my thoughts what makes a great razor. Seems there is a lot of MFG of razors lately from a lot different name brands with different models for their customers needs.
@garyg could you leave a link to your thread when you get it up going.

P

pdillon

I have been shaving with the aluminum Lupo for the past few weeks and it delivers exactly what I was looking for: easy very close shaves. It is what I was hoping for from the Masamune, but prefer the Lupo. I haven't been able to try the DLC but a polished stainless Lupo is the best news I have heard in a while.

One issue I have with the Lupo is the rounded blade tab covers. When unscrewing the head I find it very prone to slipping and my fingers skidding near the blade. Luckily I never cut myself and have since learned to use a washcloth when unscrewing the head. Not a major issue but they make a big deal of the added blade tab covers on the product description and I think it was a miss.

I have recently become enamored with the Timless. How would a Ti .68 scalloped compare to the Lupo? I have convinced myself the answer is "if you like the Lupo then you'll love the Timeless..."

garyg

I'm glad you are going to have impression test because I'm thinking of buying one because it meets my thoughts what makes a great razor. Seems there is a lot of MFG of razors lately from a lot different name brands with different models for their customers needs.
@garyg could you leave a link to your thread when you get it up going.

I'll try & remember, I've tried to use it and it wasn't quite the fan. The round nanny edges on the cap were a pain to deal with

garyg

I do not see the point of your crusade against the Lupo when the website explicitly declares that the Lupo (Wolf in Italian) is inspired and improvised version of a famous razor costing nnn$

Counterfeit means an exact replica including branding and passing it off as the real thing. Razorock doesn't do any of this. Lupo is engineered based on the supposed wolfman design and some improvements which may or may not appeal to all.

Besides aren't all modern DE razors counterfeits of the long expired Gillette patent for their original safety razor and blades?

I personally prefer my GC 84 Jaws over the Lupo and am glad I didnt throw my money over an overpriced razor. Thanks to RR for saving my money.

garyg

I do not see the point of your crusade against the Lupo when the website explicitly declares that the Lupo (Wolf in Italian) is inspired and improvised version of a famous razor costing nnn$

Counterfeit means an exact replica including branding and passing it off as the real thing. Razorock doesn't do any of this. Lupo is engineered based on the supposed wolfman design and some improvements which may or may not appeal to all.

Besides aren't all modern DE razors counterfeits of the long expired Gillette patent for their original safety razor and blades?

I personally prefer my GC 84 Jaws over the Lupo and am glad I didnt throw my money over an overpriced razor. Thanks to RR for saving my money.

Not sure that a review constitutes a "crusade" against it, I just didn't like it, and so said, with my reasons. Last I checked there wasn't a TOS here that provided that only fanboys can post. But, as always, YMMV .. hopefully no other offense has been taken, if it has, apologies

Top Bottom